birthday cakes at birthday parties

(113 Posts)
geriatricmom Tue 18-Mar-14 17:53:08

am I BU to think that if you have a birthday party and everyone sings happy birthday around the cake for the child to blow out the candles , the cake is then shared out or wrapped up and put in party bags.
I have been to three childrens parties this year when the cake was then taken home intact for home consumption only, the guests received cupcakes or a slice of generic cake to take home, my dd age 5 was looking forward to a piece of the special cake and was a bit disappointed with a cupcake, although she didnt notice the generic cake was not the party cake on the other times. now not complaining because the parties were lovely and the parents had put a lot of effort into them, I was just wondering why bother with a birthday cake if its not to share. the birthdays were either on the birth day or the birthday had been on a weekday before the party, so they were not saving to have on the day coming up (in which case I totally understand) it seems to be the norm now to show a lovely cake but not cut it for your guests, is this the done thing now?

ebwy Wed 19-Mar-14 14:06:04

when I was a kid, the cake was cut up and eaten at the party with pieces being wrapped up to be given to absent friends.

but then, it was the 70's and early 80's, and we didn't do party bags etc either, and were limited to about 6 or 7 kids around our dining table so numbers were naturally limited

itiswhatitiswhatitis Wed 19-Mar-14 14:20:26

If I was having a party at home cake would be cut and given out to eat there and then as I do think that is quite special for the kids but if it's being cut up, wrapped in kitchen roll and stuffed in a party bag then I don't think it matters

ZingSweetCoconut Wed 19-Mar-14 14:24:32

ffs, I'm not for spoiling kids but isn't it mean spirited to show the invited children what they will not be getting?

If people only want to show off their baking creations for applause and ego-boosting they should do it at a baking competition, not at a kids birthday party.

<must stop frothing now>

Aeroflotgirl Wed 19-Mar-14 14:28:32

Exactly zing, why sing round tge cake if they are not getting any of that cake, seems very odd to me. We are not taking about people having cupcakes as cake or different types of cakes, but them not getting some of the birthday child's actual,cake. I normally cut the cake up after happy birthday has been sung, I thought that's what normally happens.

ZingSweetCoconut Wed 19-Mar-14 14:33:43

especially as they are children!
all they want is THE CAKE!
the shiny special birthday cake.
right now. Get a crappy replacement insteadconfused

try it with adults you'd be lynched I'm sure!
imagine at a wedding - beautiful 3-tiered cake shown off then wheeled away and you get a rich tea biscuit to take home.grin

<takes notes for theme of murder-mystery book>

Joolsy Wed 19-Mar-14 16:13:42

We went to a party recently & it was only after that I realised the kids invited didn't get a piece of the birthday cake - infact, no cake at all! But they didn't notice as they got an Easter egg instead of a party bag. I thought it was a bit odd though. Last year & this year DD is having a softplay party and they are fab 'cos they cut up the cake for me & put it in the party bags - I don't have to lift a finger (except make it, that is). On her actual birthday, not sure if anyone is even coming round but I've got a handmade choccie cake from Lidl - will prob taste better than my effort!

CountessOfRule Wed 19-Mar-14 16:18:37

Trouble with softplay places is that they can take slicing requests very literally - 15 children, massive slab cake (for all the guests and then leftovers for home) cut into sixteen equal pieces. Each child goes home with a piece of cake approximately the size of his head hmm

WalkingThePlank Wed 19-Mar-14 23:36:40

I've found the opposite - massive cake and 15 children. Each child goes home with tiny slither and we go home with 2/3 of the cake. I'd rather give generously and have enough for us as a family to have with a cuppa when we go home.

SarahAndFuck Thu 20-Mar-14 00:09:48

It is getting quite popular to do birthday cake with matching cupcakes.

We've been to lots of parties where we've brought home a cupcake instead of a piece of actual birthday cake.

DS does not care one bit. The cupcakes are made of the same mixture and usually decorated with matching topper things.

It did seem a bit strange to me at first but it seems to be becoming the norm now. I think it's because quite often people do a party at the weekend and then a family tea on the actual birthday.

NormHonal Thu 20-Mar-14 00:17:13

Slices of cake that come home in party bags in our house invariably get forgotten about and thrown away a couple of days later, usually because my DCs are chocoholics and cannot conceive of such a thing as non-chocolate cake (most birthday cakes being vanilla sponges).

What I have done at "our" parties is matching cupcakes (yup, sorry!) which the children can eat there and then.

The big cake then goes for the family party (cake usually made by family member, so they get to see/supervise the demolition and soak up the praise).

And no stressful faffing about finding knives and napkins before the impending end of the party.

MoleInAComa Thu 20-Mar-14 07:46:05

You could just have a biscuit instead....

PseudoBadger Thu 20-Mar-14 08:24:54

DS is only just 3 and has been to a few parties in his life. At every one so far the cake has been cut and eaten at the party. I must just have nice friends!

ZenGardener Thu 20-Mar-14 14:46:57

Actually a friend was telling me about her son's wedding in Hawaii where they had a big fake cake which they took pictures of them cutting but the at the dinner they were given a regular piece of cake to eat. She found it quite amusing.

We cut the cake and eat it there and then at our kids parties but I can see if you are doing it at soft play or something it might be more complicated. I do remember as a kid we would bagsie the bit we wanted. I'll take a bit of eye. That sort of thing. It was fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now