How much?!!

(58 Posts)
ahfuckit Tue 18-Mar-14 17:47:47

Kind of tied in to the thread about makeupless selfies, but I heard on the radio today that the average woman spends £100,000 in her lifetime on makeup, so a bit under £2k a year I guess if you exclude childhood and very old age. I just don't believe it. How much do you spend? I doubt if I spend £150 a year... How many women could really afford (or want to spend) that?!

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 18-Mar-14 17:50:10

I spend zero pounds and zero pence.

Remember reading that in her lifetime, the average woman swallows 4lbs of lipstick.

BumpyGrindy Tue 18-Mar-14 17:50:40

That's tosh! I am "the average woman" and I spend about 50 quid...all mine is bought at the market...brand names...last season.

AlpacaLypse Tue 18-Mar-14 17:51:16

Probably under a tenner. I'm highly sensitive to all sorts of ingredients though so very rarely use it smile

My teenage daughters probably spend about £5 a month on it, which may increase next year when they're (officially) allowed to wear it at school.

ReluctantCamper Tue 18-Mar-14 17:51:55

I wonder if they're including face cream etc in that? even then I spend less than 10% of that per year I reckon

Although pre kids, back in the halcyon days when I had a disposable income, I lost my make-up bag, and realised it was going to cost me £500 to replace the contents. Should have put it on the house insurance!

PiddlingWiddling Tue 18-Mar-14 17:52:08

I'm 46, I have spent, maybe, £1000 in my whole life. I can't remember when I last bought any let alone wore any. I wonder if they were including skin care in general or haircare?

Make up, no. Magic potions and lotions, more than I should.

StuntBottom Tue 18-Mar-14 17:52:27

Is that supposed to include hair cuts/colours as well, though? That would certainly push the figure up.

GoldenGytha Tue 18-Mar-14 17:52:28

I bought my first items of make up in 19 years a couple of weeks ago,

I was going to my first wedding also in 19 years and I bought a couple of cheap items, total cost was less than £7.

I never wear it, and I doubt that I've spent more than £20 in my lifetime, and I'm 47.

I possibly spent 5 ot 10 a month as a teenager.
now I spend up to 5 a year. Not every year

iklboo Tue 18-Mar-14 17:53:12

I don't spend anything like that. More like £40 a year - so if we reckon 60 years of 'make up life' that's still less than £2500.

ThefutureMrsTatum Tue 18-Mar-14 17:53:47

Nowhere near that much. I wear a little make up everyday, and spend around 10 quid a month. I'm a collection 2000, rimmel girl. That is utterly extortionate!

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 17:53:51

I spend about £20 a year. I buy foundation, mascara, lip stick and eye shadow once a year. I tend to wear make up only on special occasions so about 3 - 4 times a year.
I do know people who wear make up everyday, and I mean full make up every single day. I can see how it can be that expensive if you buy all top of the range items, Clinique, Max Factor etc.

iklboo Tue 18-Mar-14 17:54:29

Stunt - less than £100 on cuts / colour a year. I'm still under £10k.

I would have thought I was above average - I like fairly high end make up, I like to have lots of choice etc. I tend to go through phases of being a bit bored and buying e.g. a bunch of new lipsticks but if I had to I'd guess I spend maybe £500 a year tops. I don't believe that the average woman spends 4* as much.

Finola1step Tue 18-Mar-14 17:56:17

£2000! Per year on make up?

If I add up how much I spend on make up, hair colouring, hair cuts, toiletries etc it would come to far less than this.

There must be a woman out there who spends my share too. My goodness.

Viviennemary Tue 18-Mar-14 17:58:17

This is a mistake. Can't believe the average woman spends this much. £2,000 a year. shock

MikeLitoris Tue 18-Mar-14 17:58:32

I wear make up daily and there is no way I spend more than £150 a year. I buy half decent basics and cheaper other stuff. So always make sure I have a good foundation, mascara and blusher.

Eyeshdows, pencils and lipsticks are cheap stuff. MUA or whatever is on offer in boots.

Octopusinabunchofdaffodils Tue 18-Mar-14 17:58:37

I don't spend anywhere near that amount, probably around £20 over a couple of years. I rarely wear make up.

WorraLiberty Tue 18-Mar-14 17:58:47

I think I spend about £25 or just under.

Sortyourmakeupout Tue 18-Mar-14 17:59:39

I spend a lot but only because its quality make up and it looks far nicer than the cheap stuff.

MaryWestmacott Tue 18-Mar-14 18:00:23

Just on make up or face products, cleansers, toners etc? If just make up, then I reckon I spend around £260-280 a year, whereas if you're adding in full skincare routine, I think I spend another £300-350 a year, so massively less than they are suggesting.

If you're throwing in hair cuts, colour, products, hairdryers, straighteners, and other hair stuff, perfume, body lotions, facials and other 'beauty' type products/services, then £100k seems a bit more realistic.

needaholidaynow Tue 18-Mar-14 18:00:35

I spend too much. Way too much!

chipsandpeas Tue 18-Mar-14 18:03:49

if its make up, skin care and all assorted toiletries and beauty gizmos then i am prob close to that :embarassed:
saying that im trying to do a no spend until stuff i have hoarded away gets used up

ENormaSnob Tue 18-Mar-14 18:05:46

Does it include all products or just make up?

Either way i don't spend 2k.per year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now