This was weird, right?

(133 Posts)
Grumpasaurus Mon 17-Mar-14 23:24:52

So I am walking up my road the other day, almost at my front door. This lady is walking towards me, and asks me to stop for a minute, which I did. The conversation goes as follows:

Her: are you Portuguese?

Me: no, Canadian (thinking, I am blond and so pale I am almost transparent and have a thick Canadian accent)...

Her: oh (silence). Do you have family in Portugal?

Me: no.

Her: I have family in Portugal but I grew up in America. I am still half Portuguese though.

Me: oh.

Her: so when did you visit Portugal?

Me: never been.

Her: but last year, when you hung your laundry up in the garden, I noticed you had a tea towel from Portugal.

Me: nope I have never been. (panicking slightly- I had never seen this lady before yet she seemed certain she knew me AND my laundry!)

Her: that tea towel is definitely from Portugal, I recognize the cockerel on it.

Me: maybe! Maybe some friends gave it to us, I don't remember where I got it.

Her: you got it in Portugal.

Me: I have never been to Portugal

Her: launches into a five minute tirade about how I should go and that I really should learn how to speak the language.

Me: alright then, see you later (secretly hoping not to ever see her again and considering buying some sort of private-fence system)!

Weird, non?

WTFlike Tue 18-Mar-14 00:10:08

Is this a reverse AIBU? OP, it's not cool to wander around begging people to be Portuguese.

AcrossthePond55 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:16:57

Hmmm. Something suspicious, OP denying she's Portuguese. I think she's a SPY! It's the cockerel that gave her away!

MrsRuffdiamond Tue 18-Mar-14 00:24:30

Op, the lady that stopped you must be a NDN, as she has been able to correctly identify an item of laundry hanging up in your back garden, yet you claim never to have seen her before.

Have you considered that you may be suffering from amnesia, having also lost any memory of your holiday to Portugal last year, when you in fact purchased the tea towel?
grin

Opal, he apparently looks like he should be South African.
I don't know if South Africans in England are especially pleased to spot a compatriot far from home and are therefore more upset when they realise DH is English.

thisonehasalittlecar Tue 18-Mar-14 00:33:54

Look, if you are worried that you might be Portuguese this is a really safe and nurturing environment to explore those feelings. We are all here for you! I'm sure someone Portuguese will be on here soon to offer help and advice about accepting your nationality and breaking the news to family and friends.

EurotrashGirl Tue 18-Mar-14 00:34:13

This reminds me of an incident last year when I was studying, My best friend and I were in the uni pub and I had gone to the bathroom. A man came up to BF and asked her:
Man "How is Sam?"
BF: "Sam?"
Man gestures at my coat and bag and says "You know, Sam!Your friend Sam" and describes me.
BF: "Er, do you mean Euro?"
The man had left the table but was still in the pub when I got back. My friend pointed him out to me and I honestly don't remember ever seeing him before!

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKahleesi Tue 18-Mar-14 00:43:02

nobody I love that he thought it was more likely you had forgotten you had a sister than that he had the wrong person grin

It's like when you get a wrong number and when you tell them they say "are you sure?" Like you might be confused about your own name and number hmm

Now then grumpasaurus what's with all the lying about Portugal eh? Are you in some kind of denial? We all know you have been there because we all know about that tea towel so you might as well just 'fess up now

grin

UncleT Tue 18-Mar-14 00:51:54

Phew, what a looney! Tea towel indeed.....

exexpat Tue 18-Mar-14 00:59:30

I think this thread is just an elaborate set-up so that Grumpasaurus can use the classic phrase "I AM CANADIAN" and steal the MN out-and-proud Canadian title from StewieGriffinsMom.

vrtra Tue 18-Mar-14 01:26:40

I always get asked if I'm Portuguese online for some reason! or rather, "tuga?"

Someone asked me if I was Hmong once... had to google it

GarlicMarchHare Tue 18-Mar-14 02:04:38

Nem se preocupe, Anna, ser Português não é causa para se envergonhar. Você poderia talvez tentar confiar seu segredo numa amiga próxima, para começar, e peça-lhe para apoiá-la em saindo gradualmente como Português?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 18-Mar-14 05:25:30

Grump do you think you ought to look into some counselling to help you gain some acceptance of your true Portuguese heritage?

Cuxibamba Tue 18-Mar-14 05:47:29

I am asked if I'm Scottish. I'm ginger, but that's the only possible connection, and even that is nothing specifically Scottish in any way. Some people don't know the right word in English, and kind of gesture in a hurgh sort of way and pretend to play bagpipes (because they don't believe I could know the language of the country I am a citizen in and have lived in for nearly nine years...). I am not Scottish. I am not even British. Currently, I've not set foot in Britain. I have an American accent. My neighbour still believes I am Scottish despite being invited round for Thanksgiving for the last four years.

TwitMcAwesome Tue 18-Mar-14 05:58:19

Lol, I get told I must be Scottish, Irish, Welsh and vegetarian.
I am an English meat eater.
Am I sure?
Yep.
Although in fairness I have Scottish and Irish 'in me' I live near Wales and I eat salad.

Dinnaeknowshitfromclay Tue 18-Mar-14 05:58:35

Ah it's time to admit to being Portuguese really OP, come on now, you know you'll feel better if you just fess up!

Dinnaeknowshitfromclay Tue 18-Mar-14 06:05:15

Perhaps start slowly,, say by going on a few websites about Portugal, y'know in the privacy of your own home wink and then....when you feel able and more relaxed about it, perhaps start wearing a Portuguese T shirt in the house and it will be surprising that one day you will feel comfortable in a more public setting wearing it and also able to ask those awkward questions about your Portugueseness without feeling doubts. It may take some time but you will get there. It just takes the first few steps that is all. Try www.closetportuguese.com

CuttedUpPear Tue 18-Mar-14 06:06:48

I need to confess ...

I have a tea towel with a Portuguese cockerel on it.

It came from a boot sale in Gloucester.

I have been to Portugal 4 times.

I am not the OP confused

kerala Tue 18-Mar-14 06:07:21

Dh was waiting at a bus stop at night when an old lady marched up to him and hissed right into his face"you should be ashamed!". Poor dh quite shaken he has lived a pretty blameless life, had never seen the lady before and was just minding his own business at a bus stop.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 18-Mar-14 06:10:04

Have you tried being Portugese, OP?

JeanSeberg Tue 18-Mar-14 06:31:37

The sad thing is I don't think she's even prepared to try Families. sad

BikeRunSki Tue 18-Mar-14 06:38:07

I have just realised that my tea towels are better travelled than I am!

AramintaDeWinter Tue 18-Mar-14 06:43:30

Yes it is weird. It is weird that you deny your Portugality-ness - dying your hair blonde and pretending to be Canadian - why are you so ashamed of your true nationality?
The fact that you hang a Portugese tea towel on your washing line says to me that on a subconscious level you do want to embrace your true origins.
Let your hair colour grow out, ditch the Joni Mitchell CDs and the Alice Munro books, put those lumberjack shirts away, and Be Proud To Be Portugese.

Eatriskier Tue 18-Mar-14 06:47:50

Well if anyone saw my tea towels they would know I'm part new Zealander part madeiran. Actually you wouldn't need my tea towels as my alabaster skin and near gingerness is a blatant giveaway and nothing whatsoever to do with this Irish family crap I claim wink

JustAboutAdeqeuate Tue 18-Mar-14 06:53:44

I briefly went out with someone at uni who decided we had no future as I would be going back to Canada at the end of the year. I'm from Northern Ireland, I had never even been to Canada, but he just would not accept that. Weirdo.

YouTheCat Tue 18-Mar-14 07:41:13

Omg I have a tea towel with a cat on it! Am I really a cat?

I hope so. Then I can laze around all day long, sleeping and stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now