To think this woman's attitude to childbirth was a bit odd?

(31 Posts)
esmeee Mon 17-Mar-14 22:54:57

I went out for lunch today with a group of 3 friends, one of which has just had a baby. Another of the friends brought along a woman that none of us had met before. She seemed pleasant enough, maybe a bit scatty. She's mid thirties with one child.

Anyway, because one of our friends has recently had a baby we ended up talking about her birth experience, and other birth related things (after we'd finished eating!!). Each time anything about birth was mentioned, the new woman that had joined us kept screwing up her face like a child that is eating something they don't like, and saying "Ewwwwwwww" in a squealy baby doll voice. She must have done it 10 times or more.

AIBU to think this was slightly odd behaviour? Especially from someone of her age, who has already had a child.

deakymom Mon 17-Mar-14 22:59:52

sounds a bit weird i would think she was on drugs childish or perhaps she hates birth stories so was deliberately trying to annoy you all?

Forgettable Mon 17-Mar-14 23:03:30

Ugh. Poor you. Yeeeeeeeeeeew maybe?

Ghastly! Try to Wendy her out of the group #meanie

drnoitall Mon 17-Mar-14 23:06:31

Attention seeking??
Maybe she wanted you to ask her about her own "ghastly" experience.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 23:06:53

I hate hearing birth stories as they bring back awful memories. Especially wouldn't want to re live it round the dinner table!

DaleyBump Mon 17-Mar-14 23:07:23

That is quite odd, especially as she's been through it herself.

Chloerose75 Mon 17-Mar-14 23:08:00

Sounds weird and I would have found her annoying.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 23:10:33

If someone was so visibly repelled by a subject, I'd take it as a hint it was making then uncomfortable and change the subject.

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Mar-14 23:13:02

birth stories are vile though tbh - esp from people you do not know that well and when the stories are so polished word for word you can just tell that they practice and practice on anyone who will listen grin
sounds annoying though.

kirbygrip Mon 17-Mar-14 23:13:36

I would assume she is embarrassed or feels sad about her own birth experience. Maybe 'ewww!' was her way of trying to bring the conversation to a close.

I don't like talking about birth experiences much as I am often the only person there who has never given birth vaginally or even laboured. Which I don't have a problem with as such but I feel I sit there like a spare part while everyone discusses how long their labour was.
And since DC2 was born not breathing and rushed to NICU , someone will always want me to recount that and gasp at the drama and I don't really want to talk about it at all as it is not a happy memory for me.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 23:13:56

They are vile!grin

kirbygrip Mon 17-Mar-14 23:14:42

I don't sit there going 'ewww!' though!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 23:14:46

Repelled by a subject or repulsed? Revoltedgrin

OpalQuartz Mon 17-Mar-14 23:19:02

Maybe she is squeamish about childbirth or has a phobia of it or something.

greenbananas Mon 17-Mar-14 23:19:21

Maybe she had a really bad birth experience and/our w is generally squeamish.

Think I would have changed the subject.

One of the things I love about baby and toddler groups is the way that women endlessly listen and sympathise with each others birth, breastfeeding and parenting experiences. It is so supportive! But not everybody is able to do this.

OpalQuartz Mon 17-Mar-14 23:20:31
Pigletin Mon 17-Mar-14 23:23:03

Maybe she didn't want to gear the gory details over lunch?

OpalQuartz Mon 17-Mar-14 23:23:03

Although I suppose she could have said she has a fear of it if so

RevoltingPeasant Mon 17-Mar-14 23:56:53

I dunno OP from reading MN I gather that many women do not like sharing birth stories or think it is bad taste. Maybe she was cackhandedly trying to steer the conversation away?

BurntPancake Tue 18-Mar-14 00:08:12

Yes she does sound a bit odd with all the ewwwwing but she clearly didn't want to talk about it. I'm terrified of childbirth so can understand that. I haven't shared my birth stories with anyone. Maybe she thinks it's odd to talk about it at a meal!
I haven't ever said ewww though, I always listen if others want to talk abour birth, I just don't share my experience.

ZingSweetCoconut Tue 18-Mar-14 00:20:58

eeeewwwww!

Caitlin17 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:53:46

I don't recall ever having a conversation about my birth experience or any of my friends. Admittedly I have more friends who don't have children who do but honestly this is not a topic I've discussed.

Caitlin17 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:56:41

Wouldn't it be a really boring topic over lunch? It's a long time ago since I gave birth but honestly what a dull subject.

Balaboosta Tue 18-Mar-14 06:57:00

Er, maybe she just doesn't want to talk about birth. There are all sorts of reasons why not. Maybe her child is adopted. Maybe there was a competitive edge to the conversation. YABU and insensitive.

Only1scoop Tue 18-Mar-14 07:03:15

Perhaps she fancied a nice lunch out with friends <of a friend> and didn't wish to sit listening to childbirth stories. My friends and I mostly have young dc now, we all had them late, other than a quick ask how they are we like to talk about other < interesting> stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now