To go empty handed to a baby shower?

(35 Posts)
Meh84 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:42:03

One of my good friends is having a surprise baby shower next weekend. We've all been asked to bring some food so she doesn't panic about what to feed everyone.

I have a couple of good ideas of what to get her when the baby is born in May, but I can't really afford anything at the moment.

Would it be mean of me to turn up with just a card?

I've been asked to be Godmother to the new baby and I don't want her to think I don't care. I'm so excited and love her and her family to pieces...but I can't bring it up because it's a surprise!

NoodleOodle Mon 17-Mar-14 21:43:39

YANBU If you can't afford anything, go without - it's your company that's being requested, and if you're only wanted for your food supply then it's not a party you should want to go to.

PartyFops Mon 17-Mar-14 21:45:21

Could you bring something novelty or something little. I'm sure she will know you will buy her something when baby is born.

BigcatLittlecat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:48:52

Could you take some vouchers you've made promising gift you could afford at later date? Or promising your time or meals? They could easily be made on computer? I would love that! smile

Beachfarmandzootoo Mon 17-Mar-14 21:50:29

I don't like to buy baby gift web before baby arrives safely so to avoid awkwardness at baby showers I usually take a small gift for mum - something luxurious like nice smellies which she probably won't have time to use nice baby arrives!

BrianTheMole Mon 17-Mar-14 21:51:13

I would make a lovely card and offer 5 hours of baby sitting or helping round the house/ making tea etc when the baby arrives to be taken when she needs it.

mrsjay Mon 17-Mar-14 21:51:28

i assume she will be opening gifts at the shower ( i have never been to one) I would get her a little something even if it is silly/cute and explain you will get her a gift after baby comes personally i couldnt go without anything

Amy106 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:51:53

How about a written promise to do a few hours of childminding or house cleaning once the baby arrives?

mrsjay Mon 17-Mar-14 21:52:10

I meant for mum not baby

Guitargirl Mon 17-Mar-14 21:52:31

YANBU - do you mean you would take some food but not a gift yet for your friend or baby? There's nothing wrong with that at all but I would take some food, it wouldn't have to cost much.

I like big cats idea, vouchers made on computer - for things like a home cooked meal, a pile of ironing, hoovering, an evening babysitting etc

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 17-Mar-14 21:55:25

If you were my friend I'd want you to bring yourself and not give a second thought to a gift!!!

smile

You could always bake a cake if you wanted something to take. If not really don't worry I'm sure a good friend will be pleased you made it and wouldn't want you struggling just to bring a gift!

TwixTime Mon 17-Mar-14 21:58:08

I've only been to one baby shower - It was my friends sister that I don't know too well and I didn't realise that mum to be opens all gifts in front of everyone and announces who got what- cringe! I did have a present but it wasn't exactly on the same scale as other peoples and I felt a bit embarrassed but then I would have probably felt embarrassed in that situation anyway even if it was an amazing present!

This is a long way in saying I'd maybe get a card instead of a small gift because it will be opened and you will be left trailing saying it's not the real present....whereas if you don't take anything it's quite obvious that you are going to get a gift at a later date. Or maybe I am overthinking things smile

Have a nice time whatever you decide

Meh84 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:58:12

Ooh I like the voucher idea! She has a three year old boy too so he could come for a sleep over before the baby get here...give her a little time for her and her other half before three become four!

ArtexMonkey Mon 17-Mar-14 21:58:45

When I had my dd one of my work colleagues was Canadian, and she'd felt very homesick when pg the year before, and had asked for a baby shower, so because she'd had one, they gave me one too. I'd not worked there long and none of us knew each other that well, but I was really touched.

They gave me presents, but none of them were hugely expensive - but they were all very much appreciated and used grin Some of the things i was given included a pack of disposable pants, some nipple shields, some baby nail clippers, a pack of muslins and a pack of those cheap ikea face cloths. All very much appreciated, and all things that, as a numpty first timer, I'd had no idea I might need. It was a lovely gesture on their part, and I still fill up thinking about it now. Your thoughts and your good wishes and the time you've spent making her feel special will be what stays with your friend, trust me.

Aeroflotgirl Mon 17-Mar-14 22:00:07

Bring a dish, and mabey a little something for the mother like flowers and choccies. Or make her a little pamper basket, with say smellies, choccies (I do like chocolate as you can see), nice tea, kind of thing. Tell her tgat you would prefer to get the baby something when it's born.

Meh84 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:03:15

Some lovely suggestions, thanks everyone smile

Purplepoodle Mon 17-Mar-14 22:04:48

Just go, if anyone asks jut tell them quietly you aren't comfortable buying presents before the baby is born. Lots of people where I live are very superstitious and would never buy a present before the baby is born (myself included)

steff13 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:05:56

I think the voucher idea sounds cute.

I would never personally go to a baby (or wedding) shower without a gift; the point of the shower is to "shower" the mother with the items she'll need for the new baby, isn't it? We may do things differently in the US, but it's sort of understood that if someone is throwing a shower for you, the purpose is for people to bring gifts. That's why you would never throw a shower for yourself. Otherwise it's just a party.

Roseandmabelshouse Mon 17-Mar-14 22:09:10

How about taking some nice nail vanish around and offering a pedicure?

Hoppinggreen Mon 17-Mar-14 22:14:39

I went to my first one last week. I took a set of naice toiletries for mum in a travel set for her to take to the hospital.
She said she really appreciated that it was for her as she got lots of gifts for the baby

Aeroflotgirl Mon 17-Mar-14 22:20:34

That was my line of thinking hopping as mum tends to get left out a bit

Beachfarmandzootoo Mon 17-Mar-14 22:39:05

Love the voucher idea - shame I think I've seen all the baby showers ill experience already!

FitzgeraldProtagonist Mon 17-Mar-14 22:43:03

She just wants your company! A card is ample.

UncleT Mon 17-Mar-14 22:46:25

Absolutely NOT unreasonable to turn up to an imported give me presents day empty-handed. Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now