to think my neighbour is being incredibly unreasonable about our cat?

(198 Posts)
Objection Mon 17-Mar-14 18:27:55

We've recently moved into a very tiny village, two doors down from my in - laws. (moved in December)
We have a dog and a cat. (no kids)
FIL said the other day that my cat was pissing off their neighbour.
Apparently neighbour is absolutely furious and the cat is causing all kinds of hell.
What hell, you ask?
Well, she sunbathes on his dustbin and sits up when he comes out in the morning to stare at him getting into his car.
Apparently the ragey shouting we hear most mornings is him screaming at the cat, who just looks at him whilst he does so.
FIL, I think, expected me to do something about the cat's "rudeness".

AIBU to think this is actually quite funny and neighbour is a little unhinged?

ComposHat Fri 21-Mar-14 08:34:50

Ha brilliant sunshine I now want a phantom of the opeea outfit for my furry darling.

sunshinemmum Fri 21-Mar-14 08:42:45

smile it could catch on.

bella411 Fri 21-Mar-14 08:52:36

Although I know you can't control the whereabouts of cats. If I had a cat sitting on my dustbin and I had to walk by it to get to my car .... I'd be stuck in my house until the cat decided to move and I'd have to make a mad dash to the car as I am petrified of cats!

Maybe your neighbour is really tryin to say this rather than the cat is rude.

LikesAChallenge Fri 21-Mar-14 09:35:41

I loved the two photos on Page 1. How appropriate for the thread!

normalishdude Fri 21-Mar-14 09:48:25

I chase the cats from our garden. Most of the cats seem to enjoy it. I do too.

wigglylines Fri 21-Mar-14 09:54:41

Love the photo of your cat. But you do know that look means she's looking right into your soul, right? wink

Neighbour doesn't like himself, your cat is holding upmarket mirror to him, that's the problem IMO!

Seriously, I'd worry a little for the safety of my cat if the neighbour was that unhinged.

oldgrandmama Fri 21-Mar-14 09:59:43

My cat does a good stare

LisaMed Fri 21-Mar-14 10:57:03

Has anyone seen Why My Cat is Sad

That is the saddest looking cat ever and your neighbour would have a dicky fit.

sunshinemmum Fri 21-Mar-14 11:30:58

Our cat has a one eye closed due to an infection at the moment. He gave a mean old look and a squawk to a visitor he doesn't like yesterday. I so wished I had the camera handy, he was mean!

NinjaLeprechaun Fri 21-Mar-14 12:25:48

I used to have a friend who lived with (owned is never the right word, with cats) a black cat. They had an unhinged neighbour, who believed that cat was a witch in disguise. Friend actually was witch, of the Wiccan variety, which is startlingly irrelevant to this story. Cat used to sit in the open doorway, and friend would sometimes hear the neighbour 'warning' the cat that it wasn't fooling anybody.

One day the friend had visitors who brought their small black dog... dog was sitting in open doorway, when suddenly unhinged neighbour could be heard angrily demanding that "You change back into a cat right now..."

Oh dear... Don't know whether to grin or sad at some people.

OnlyLovers Fri 21-Mar-14 16:54:15

You change back into a cat right now..

grin grin grin grin

ChasingDogs Fri 21-Mar-14 18:34:38

NinjaLeprechaun that is fecking epic grin Love the OP of this thread and resulting cat pics!

One of my neighbours (I actually am not sure which one) has an arrogant cat of legendary proportions. Not only does the little shit totally disregard all property laws in order to shit in my veg patch, it also wanders into my house. All the other cats around here have learnt to avoid the house with the overly friendly GSD, but this guy just sits his arse on the sofa and growls while the dog gets more and more worked up. It inevitably ends with the dog getting confused and spinning in circles whilst the cat just stares and judges us both!

Hate that bloody cat. Hate it, yet really, really admire it at the same time.

ChasingDogs Fri 21-Mar-14 18:37:44

Oooh, just remembered, when I was little I had a tiny cat that would sit outside my bedroom window, just above the entrance to our pub, and swipe madly at the heads of people who dared to enter.

Somebody complained once, much to the hilarity of the regulars. Didn't these fools realise that was her spot and you were expected to duck as you entered? Pfft! grin

SilenceOfTheSAHMs Fri 21-Mar-14 18:51:28

My 13 year old cat Uncle Popperchops.

He is worshipped smile

SilenceOfTheSAHMs Fri 21-Mar-14 18:52:38

Look at the face on this cat....

LiberalLibertine Fri 21-Mar-14 19:15:42

grin silence that cat is king of all he surveys

jeanmiguelfangio Fri 21-Mar-14 19:26:14

I am so going to have to complain about neighbours beautiful ginger. Yesterday I came downstairs with dd 13months to find him staring in my back door. That wasnt the problem. Dd is enthralled, cat jumps over fence because baby is so excited she is banging on the glass. Thats not the problem either. The issue is he hasn't come back --dont blame him--and I have spent all day with her pointing at my back door saying at at at. Do you think he knew this was going to happen, and is actually laughing around the corner watching me go mad!!!

yegodsandlittlefishes Fri 21-Mar-14 19:42:12

'My box'

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 21-Mar-14 20:16:24

Our nnn had a tiny little cat who was an outdoor girl. They moved and two years later turned up in my kitchen. My two big ginger boys cowering in the corner. She adopted us, but on the way across town, including two main roads, she adopted another family, who posted an ad when she went travelling.She ruled the roost for three years and bullied the other two mercilessly.

OnlyLovers Sat 22-Mar-14 17:52:41

silence, that cat looks like Jeremy Paxman.

Lol this thread is hilarious! What does he expect you to do about it? Have a quiet chat with the cat?

ThistledownAndCobweb Sat 22-Mar-14 18:31:06

My cat went through a phase of entering my neighbour's house through his cat flap and waking him in the early hours of the morning by getting on the bed and washing his (neighbours not cats) face.

Luckily for use he is a cat lover and found it hilarious.

KatyMac Sat 22-Mar-14 18:51:22

My very small (3.2kg) oriental cat had delusions of grandeur

While staying in a holiday cottage she sat at the window watching the outside, I let her out & she stalked down the garden path and crouched at the end ready to pounce on the deer eating the leaves of trees in the field opposite.

I know she was related to the lions hunting wildebeest on the Serengeti......but really a deer!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now