To think this mother is taking the proverbial?

(93 Posts)
adsy Mon 17-Mar-14 17:05:16

on a childcare site

About Me

Dedicated Mother of 3 and business professional requiring domestic support my working week can be anything from 9am – 17:30 or on occasions 20:00pm. Essentially supports within in these hours are crucial, along with household support so I am able to have quality time outside of work with the kids.
Personally we are a fun, loving family who enjoy having a laugh and good fun.

My Requirements

Registered Childminder Live In Nanny
Live Out Nanny After School Nanny
Au Pair

Hours Required
Monday – Fridays 14: 30 /15:00 – 19:30
Saturdays 10: 00 – 15:00 pm (possible evenings/ night childcare services)
Sundays (occasional) possibly evenings/ nights childcare services
Most school holidays the ideal candidate will not be required to work, however when required to do so the childcare service will be needed on a full-time basis.
Duties:
1. Childcare services
2. Preparing evening meals and Afro-Caribbean cuisines
3. Laundry – washing and ironing
4. General maintenance of the house keeping the house clean and tidy at all times
5. Weekly spring clean of entire 4/5 bedroom house
Provided:
- Modern en-suite accommodation (for free)
- Evening meal inclusive
- Weekly rate of £45 per week

Requirements:
- Natural home-maker
- Enhanced CRB certificate
- Food hygiene certificate
- Childcare qualification
- Ofsted Registered
- Minimum of 2 years Childcare experience
- Good time management skills

Really? £45 per week. is that acceptable?!!

adsy Tue 18-Mar-14 16:09:03

sorry all, she's not even opened my message yet

I wonder if she works in education if she doesn't need holiday cover? Or maybe she has another slave for that?

CloverHeart Tue 18-Mar-14 16:32:47

Well what a miserable job that sounds. I wouldn't even do it for £250 a week, sounds like a fucking nightmare

kerala Tue 18-Mar-14 18:45:41

They weren't allowed sugar either just quinoa and broccoli. It's a cautionary tale honestly - obligatory creative play + no sugar or wheat + no tv + isolated country living equals your kid turning to drugs as soon as they are able

YouTheCat Tue 18-Mar-14 19:08:59

Nightmare.

I was brought up on sugar and white bread, with plenty of tv and creative play only when I was feeling creative. I haven't turned to drugs. grin

Chippednailvarnish Tue 18-Mar-14 19:15:06

I remember a thread similar to this not too long ago. There were a number of people claiming that it was acceptable as a live in position doesn't have to pay minimum wage. And my personal favourite "it would suit an immigrant".

Then the person who posted the advert started posting and eventually the thread was deleted.

There are some total bastards out there, I find some peoples attitudes very depressing.

eddielizzard Tue 18-Mar-14 19:20:17

sorry but that's shocking. i really hope no-one applies.

Roshbegosh Tue 18-Mar-14 19:25:03

Maybe there is someone out there willing to be exploited so cruelly, but I hope not. It is depressing that people can be so barbaric.

wowfudge Tue 18-Mar-14 19:25:16

Apart from the outrageousness of it - do you think the Afro-Caribbean cuisine thing is a way of trying to get someone Afro-Caribbean without stating that outright in the ad, which is likely to be illegal? I'm not sure about the anti-discrimination laws on working in someone's home.

oldgrandmama Tue 18-Mar-14 20:33:21

Wonder what her last slave died of????

VeryStressedMum Tue 18-Mar-14 20:44:02

What is the going rate for an aupair? Do you count in the accommodation cost ie the room with ensuite would cost roughly 100 per week do they are in effect earning 145? And what do aupairs do? Not that I'm looking to hire one or become one, just interested.

YouTheCat Tue 18-Mar-14 21:12:54

Even if it was £145 a week it'd still be less than minimum wage.

sleeperinsouthlondon Tue 18-Mar-14 21:15:15

Wow I have seen plenty of childcare adverts (employer and jobseeker) specifiying 'muslim' recently. maybe there is an exemption for domicillary childcare?

bochead Tue 18-Mar-14 21:35:24

Afro-Caribbean cooking?

I think that was a blatent attempt to lure an newly arrived & desperate illegal immigrant into her nefarious employ without raising the alarm with the authorities. (non-white and from a non-EU country makes them just that bit more vulnerable to outright exploitation by the unscrupulous!)

Either that or she's a lovely, scatty, sleep deprived sweety who meant £450 really, but simply forgot to proofread her ad, and would love to try some of that rice dish she had on hols last year, but can't remember the name of to google the recipe.

tillyann2013 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:52:47

Afro Caribbean ? Weird

sleeperinsouthlondon Tue 18-Mar-14 22:07:47

Boc More likely that the family is of AC origin, isn't it?

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 18-Mar-14 22:27:11

The woman isn't even sure how many bedrooms she has.

It's entirely plausible she missed a digit on the wage... wink

gringringrin

Pooka Tue 18-Mar-14 22:35:53

Do you thunk this is like a sting operation? A trap for unwary people desperate enough to work like a slave because there's no other option. Turns out to be a front for some body like the home office?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now