To be a bit unsure how to take this

(85 Posts)
catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:00:36

My work has recently furbished the ladies loos with baskets containing deodorant, perfume, hairspray, bobble, kirby grips, dry shampoo, tampax and a range of other beauty products and toiletries such as hand cream and mouthwash.

I am sure it's coming from a nice place but I was slightly hmm as there is nothing similar in the mens loos. Still the tampax come in handy when you get caught short and after a garlicy lunch the mouthwash is no bad thing.

But today, I have gone for a wee and they have now added a little basket of fanjo wipes and deodorant in the actual cubicles.

I have issues with an industry that tries to convince women their vaginas are smelly and dirty as it is, but having them provided at work seems really odd.

Would anyone else be a bit confused by this, or would they just spray their fanny with gay abandon and be a more productive employee knowing they now had rampant thrush a lady garden that smelt like a summer meadow?

shootingstar1234 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:38:09

I think that sounds ace!! Though I reckon they're trying to drop the hint to someone with hygiene issues!

PickleMobile Mon 17-Mar-14 14:40:08

Those toilets sound brilliant! Not the fanny wipes and fro but everything else!

Linguini Mon 17-Mar-14 14:40:11

HAHA absolutely something along the lines of "suggesting" that Chanel no5 would really improve women's hygiene. Very strange, but I suspect it's some free promotional offer thing going on rather than an outright exec decision.

PickleMobile Mon 17-Mar-14 14:40:24

*deo

OnlyLovers Mon 17-Mar-14 14:43:55

Surely it's just some promotional stuff they've been sent and they've just dumped it in the loos? These items sound like bizarre things to have in the loos in your average office.

I'd be tempted to send an innocently enquiring email to HR to ask what it's in aid of.

And may I congratulate you, OP, on your use of the word 'furbished'? smile

K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 14:47:06

Put in a complaint and demand they provide a full equivalent for the men including knob wash and wipes, toupet tape, a cut throat razor and shaving soap, bottle of Old Spice and some deodorant.

They must have money to burn...

MamaPain Mon 17-Mar-14 14:47:48

I think this is such a good idea. I think I might introduce a wider selection of supplies into the toilets in our office.

We currently have nice soap, hand creams and some tampons but I think it would be nice to have a selection.

I expect it is just someone trying to be helpful. Lots of women have different experiences, I remember a thread with the OP criticising the anti-women products like wipes and liners, it got lots of responses saying that some of us feel we need these products. Maybe the person who has put them in your office shares this need and is trying to be thoughtful about others in the same situation.

K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 14:48:25

If a sad looking woman with a bottle of lollipops moves in and wants a quid for handing you a paper towel ywnbu to complain.

K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 14:49:43

If you need scented sanitary products you need to see a doctor. Normal fannies do NOT smell.

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:50:33

It's a small-ish office (70 staff) so a 'personal hygiene issue' could be it

It's the energy industry so no requirement to look glam

I am loving the idea we might get a lollipop lady next grin

NannyK7H Mon 17-Mar-14 14:51:41

I would love that! I've been to an officers' mess before where they have had this kind of thing in the women's loos.
I think it's quite thoughtful! But then maybe that's because I'm disorganised....

horsetowater Mon 17-Mar-14 14:53:05

OK if there's no penis-wipes then perhaps some beakers would be useful for the gents.

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:53:40

OMG

We have to have penis beakers.

I may slip them in myself......

NurseyWursey Mon 17-Mar-14 14:54:11

I know a lot of women who use the wipes so would find this useful.

IceBeing Mon 17-Mar-14 14:54:34

tampons eh? what about a communal mooncup? More environmentally friendly!

K8Middleton Mon 17-Mar-14 14:54:43

Careful . Nobody wants to find a penis beaker in the office dishwasher envy

Topaz25 Mon 17-Mar-14 15:19:25

I think the toiletries sound like a lovely perk. The intimate wipes are OTT but probably someone trying to be helpful rather than offensive. I wouldn't complain about them in case everything else gets taken away too!

horsetowater Mon 17-Mar-14 15:35:56

What happened to the good old days when all you got was two sheets of Izal?

horsetowater Mon 17-Mar-14 15:43:20

OMG I've just thought up my entrepreneurial new business - Willywipes!

I could make millions...

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 15:48:31

God horse, if you told men they made it bigger too, you'll be a millionaire grin

starfishmummy Mon 17-Mar-14 15:56:56

If it is recent, it sounds to me like they have budget to use up before the years end.

horsetowater Mon 17-Mar-14 16:01:23

Not sure about how to go about marketing the idea, perhaps a man being chased by dogs, uses Willywipe* and gets chased by supermodels instead. A bit like the Lynx ads, but more animal based.

MrsRuffdiamond Mon 17-Mar-14 16:01:47

I always thought 'moist tissues' were for after you'd done a poo, rather than to fragrance your fanjo?

horsetowater Mon 17-Mar-14 16:06:01

Perhaps they need to send out instructions in an office memo. We wouldn't want people to be using them on the wrong orifice. They could sue, it could be a H&S matter and then where would we be. Think of the headlines...

MrsRuffdiamond Mon 17-Mar-14 16:20:24

I think there's a gap in the market for a multi-purpose 'any orifice' wipe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now