To be a bit unsure how to take this

(85 Posts)
catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:00:36

My work has recently furbished the ladies loos with baskets containing deodorant, perfume, hairspray, bobble, kirby grips, dry shampoo, tampax and a range of other beauty products and toiletries such as hand cream and mouthwash.

I am sure it's coming from a nice place but I was slightly hmm as there is nothing similar in the mens loos. Still the tampax come in handy when you get caught short and after a garlicy lunch the mouthwash is no bad thing.

But today, I have gone for a wee and they have now added a little basket of fanjo wipes and deodorant in the actual cubicles.

I have issues with an industry that tries to convince women their vaginas are smelly and dirty as it is, but having them provided at work seems really odd.

Would anyone else be a bit confused by this, or would they just spray their fanny with gay abandon and be a more productive employee knowing they now had rampant thrush a lady garden that smelt like a summer meadow?

LessMissAbs Mon 17-Mar-14 14:08:57

I'd think whoever was behind it was a bit obsessive about women's bits! The obsession clearly doesn't extend to men's bits, which I'm sure face similar, if not worse, hygiene issues. They will probably argue if challenged that the men have less demand for such products in the loos, but if they never get the chance...anyway I'd find it a bit odd.

Marylou2 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:10:18

I can't imagine that they've put that amount of thought into it.It'll just be random stuff they think women might need rather than any attempt to undermine our feminist principles. I'd be emailing the name of my fav perfume to HR in the hope they might pop a bottle of that in there too.

Maybe there is a woman at your work with a less than satisfactory attention to hygiene. And this is someone's 'tactful' way of trying to sort it rather than having a word...

deakymom Mon 17-Mar-14 14:12:22

perhaps a lady has smelly bits and they are feeling hopeful they will take the hint?

diddl Mon 17-Mar-14 14:12:36

Sounds really wierd to me.

Tampax & handcream useful imo.

Everything else, just wtaf??

MissingTheMountain Mon 17-Mar-14 14:14:15

I have this at work.

There's even a black eyeliner and mascara, although I'm not sure who'd be desperate enough for a communal one!

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:17:02

Oh god

I hadn't thought of that..........I will now spend the day wondering if I am the one with they smelly bits shock blush

horsetowater Mon 17-Mar-14 14:17:31

Is there such a thing as penis-wipes or is it just women that have dirty genitalia?

I think you should put a petition on the door demanding for some arse wipes.

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:17:32

Oh - and there are GHDs confused

(bolted down so they can't be pilfered)

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:17:52

No arse wipes - no penis wipes

I asked a male colleague

LexieSinclair Mon 17-Mar-14 14:18:18

I have this at work. It's just free samples that get sent out from time to time that are put out for us to help ourselves.
We don't get fanjo wipes though. ;)

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:21:29

I like the idea of putting a little list in

"Dear HR, I need Tom Ford Black Orchid and some Creme de la Mer as a bare minimum. Also, a nice Mulberry bag would be nice to carry all my ladies scented trinkets in please"

BatCave Mon 17-Mar-14 14:22:20

Maybe they are just trying to be nice?

I bet if every female employee subsequently spent three or four half-hour breaks pampering themselves with the GHD's, handcream and other, they'd soon be removed.

Wondering too if they think that someone has 'issues' and this is a tactful approach?

catgirl1976 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:23:56

I'm going to be sniffing everyone now.

If I don't sniff someone who is less than fragrant I shall be convinced it is me smile

skinnyflatwhitetogo Mon 17-Mar-14 14:25:02

I would say its less industry trying to control your vaginas and more like a new employee who likes to go out straight after work and is stocking up the loo for her own and everyone else's benefit. It sounds like workplace-loo-heaven to me.

The men in my office use the ladies loo and they are always stinking and in a shameful state...(there are only 3 women, we know its not us!). When the ladies loo wasn't working they even had the cheek to complain to us that our loo wasn't working!!

Koothrapanties Mon 17-Mar-14 14:25:27

Is it a big company you work for? If it's a small company I would put money on there being a person with a hygiene issue.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of industry are you in? It sounds quite image focussed to have ghds!

SoleSource Mon 17-Mar-14 14:26:34

Toiletries in the bathroom, in a basket? shock Call the Police

harriet247 Mon 17-Mar-14 14:28:33

I had this when i worked for selfridges, 0
Poor staff there get sent back up if they are a bit unkempt after lunch etc

skinnyflatwhitetogo Mon 17-Mar-14 14:30:27

GHDs...bolted down...wtf??? What kind of company do you work for OP? I've changed my mind...I'm imagining an office full of stepford wife like clones all smelling of roses with poker straight hair. Very odd...

Moreisnnogedag Mon 17-Mar-14 14:30:55

Yeah someone has an ishoo and this is a way they are trying to deal with it.

You should come to my work. Someone once poo'd in the sanitary bin. Oh yes.

TiggyCBE Mon 17-Mar-14 14:33:04

Is there such a thing as penis-wipes - They're called "curtains".

vladthedisorganised Mon 17-Mar-14 14:33:55

GHDs??
Are the curly-haired among your staff considered persona non grata then?

formerbabe Mon 17-Mar-14 14:35:02

Do you work in a nightclub?! That is the only place I have ever seen this type of thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now