...to think this is a bit cheeky or do I need to relax a bit?

(252 Posts)
NotActuallyAMum Mon 17-Mar-14 12:36:44

A work colleague of mine did me a favour recently – saved us about £50 – so as a thank you I offered him a couple of nights in our static caravan. I said that if he goes straight there after work on a Friday he’ll be there by about half 6 then if he leaves around the same time on Sunday he’ll have 2 full days there. I warned him that we wouldn’t be moving our belongings out of the way because there’ll still be plenty of room for the two of them. He took me up on the offer, which I was pleased about – I wanted to return the favour

I’ve just seen that he’s booked the Friday and Monday of that weekend off work, presumably to spend 4 nights at our caravan instead of the 2 that I offered. Additionally, someone else who works here sees a lot of this person out of work – the two of them and their wives spend a lot of time together and I’ve noticed that he has also booked the Friday and Monday off work, making me think that they are planning on going too

I could be wrong of course but it seems too much of a coincidence for there to be any other explanation. Isn’t this a bit cheeky?

Tangerinefairy Sat 24-May-14 09:26:46

But the assumption was rude.

Tangerinefairy Sat 24-May-14 09:08:43

But the assumption was rude.

Tangerinefairy Sat 24-May-14 09:01:28

Glad it was a good outcome op. May I.just say though that people who thought his actions were not that bad are not necessarily rude and grabby themselves. If they would be more than happy to be relaxed about lending something that they are not actually using themselves for a couple more days then they may be surprised that others are not.

HexBramble Sat 24-May-14 08:25:45

Didn't realise that my post was chopped blush

It's a shocker to me how many entitled people are out there. I must live in a little bubble because I have yet to come across such piss-takers. You handled it well OP.

MrsWombat Sat 24-May-14 06:44:10

Hurrah! Well done!

PowerPants Sat 24-May-14 01:07:53

Yay, good outcome OP! Well done.

HexBramble Sat 24-May-14 00:39:22

It's a li

phantomnamechanger Mon 19-May-14 20:48:36

Good result.

Keeps.

Sigh.

Some sites won't allow subletting, so NotActually, iI'd just state that if he kerbs pestering you.

I hope we get a lovely summer so you enjoy many days there. smile

pluCaChange Mon 19-May-14 15:17:16

Hurray!

What a good mantra to repeat. Definitely don't be tempted to charge, or you'll go through all the stress again, of wondering just how many people they'll invute, whether they'll have a party, etc.

Puzzledandpissedoff Mon 19-May-14 13:41:35

I'll just keep repeating myself "We don't rent it out, we just keep it for ourselves and family"

Very wise wink

expatinscotland Mon 19-May-14 13:13:12

Yep. Repeat ad nauseum. He knows there is a world of vans for hire out there. He can point and click at one.

NotActuallyAMum Mon 19-May-14 13:06:20

I am definitely prepared for him to ask again. I did tell him that we keep it for ourselves and immediate family but even so, I don't think that'll put him off somehow. I'll just keep repeating myself "We don't rent it out, we just keep it for ourselves and family"

No thankfully I don't see very much of him at all so no awkwardness (is that a word LOL)

minibmw2010 Mon 19-May-14 12:23:45

Well done, it was a bit stressful for you in the beginning I'm sure, but it ended up as well as it could I guess. Do you have to see this guy regularly in work? Will it be awkward for you at all?

Itsfab Mon 19-May-14 12:10:40

This just leaves a nasty taste, even more so with the immediate pressure to be allowed to go again albeit with an offer of paying maybe. I would be prepared for him putting pressure on you to allow him to go again.

OnlyLovers Mon 19-May-14 10:29:42

Well done, OP. At least though, to give him a tiny bit of credit, he asked what you charged rather than hinting at another freebie.

Jackie0 Mon 19-May-14 09:20:08

Good outcome. You handled it perfectly .

expatinscotland Mon 19-May-14 09:08:04

Yep! He still tried it on, inviting the other couple, trying for four nights when offered two. He drops anymore hints, stay firm.

Nanny0gg Mon 19-May-14 09:04:08

To all those people who have asked why the OP was bothered and does it really matter?

Would it make a difference if it had been a house? Just because it was a static caravan - the horror!! Taking the piss is taking the piss. If you ask for more than was offered you are being rude.

The snobbery as well as the rudeness on here beggars belief at times.

NotActuallyAMum Mon 19-May-14 08:54:38

Thanks folks smile

Next time someone does us a favour they'll get a box of beer...

expatinscotland Mon 19-May-14 08:22:29

Well done. No more favours from him. He tried it on and you did the best you could.

eddielizzard Mon 19-May-14 08:05:10

it ended well. you handled it well

NotActuallyAMum Mon 19-May-14 08:01:58

Well...

He took the key to our neighbours just after 6pm yesterday. She went and had a look around and to be fair she said it's "as clean and tidy as it always is" so that's one good thing

And...

He IS at work today! He's already been in touch to ask when he can go again and how much do we charge, to which I said that we don't actually rent it out and this was a one-off as a thank you for doing DHs car

No idea if his mate is at work or not but I think that's irrelevant

YesIcan Sun 18-May-14 23:10:33

I loved the Mexico thread.
Pathetic - because it would not have occurred to the OP that the guy would take such mean advantage. If I were offered a gift like this , followed by instructions on not abusing the invite, I would feel offended and probably refuse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now