To have not let this man into my home.

(40 Posts)
Koothrapanties Mon 17-Mar-14 11:49:16

A man has just turned up at my home to read the meter. He was apparently sent by npower, but had a different company uniform on.

I apologised, but did not let him in. I said that I had had no notification from npower and that i was not comfortable allowing him into my home. He was fine about it and I apologised again for wasting his time.

Surely npower should have told me they were sending someone? How else am I supposed to know to trust this person?

When I was young and lived at home with my parents, a man knocked on the door and tried to gain entry to 'read the meter'. My mum realised all was not as it seemed as the meter had been read recently and the company knew it was outside, not in the house. Our dog also growled and became very defensive which was incredibly rare for her to do (completely daft golden retriever). Perhaps this has made me more wary, but would you just let some random man into your home with no notification?

This would be the latest in a long line of crappy customer service from npower, but I want to make sure ianbu before I ring them and kick up a stink again.

MrsDeVere Mon 17-Mar-14 12:26:45

smile

Koothrapanties Mon 17-Mar-14 12:27:06

He came to our front door which opens onto the communal hallway so I didn't see a van. He didn't offer to show me id, but he seemed like a genuine bloke. It probably didn't help that I was still in pjs though, no bra so felt rather exposed!

I'm a bit surprised actually that it is not something they notify you of. I wouldn't let an uninvited stranger into my home for any other reason I can think of.

I honestly can't remember it happening at our last two flats, but maybe it happened when dh was home not me.

I feel a bit silly now!

MamaPain Mon 17-Mar-14 12:31:54

Yeah they never notify you. Think how much time and energy it would waste sending out all those letters and the staff required as well as the system to reschedule appointments.

I'm a bit surprised you've never had to deal with a metre reading before.

If you were in flats they may have been in a communal area or outside.

While these companies outsource their meter reading bit, there's no guarantee that the readings are getting through to the company.

I've had the rigmarole of an appt being arranged last year by the company I'm with, as they had no record of readings being taken for 2 years.

Despite the fact that I knew we'd been read as I know the meter reader, and told them so! But at least it was done by appt and they were on time.

HippyPottyMouth Mon 17-Mar-14 12:38:43

They don't notify here either, in fact I've never heard of them doing so, but they almost invariably have ID visible. I have refused entry to one who couldn't produce ID.

Rooners Mon 17-Mar-14 12:42:08

What uniform was he wearing? If it was Tesco delivery, or prison clothes or something then yes, panic smile

Koothrapanties Mon 17-Mar-14 13:08:52

Rooners (grin)

It was blue trousers, blue fleece with a yellow logo. I can't remember the name of the company.

Ah well. I will ring npower and get them to reschedule. Damn I was hoping for a reason to give them a bollocking!

Koothrapanties Mon 17-Mar-14 13:20:32

grin fail.

Dahlen Mon 17-Mar-14 13:27:11

I'm pretty sure he was genuine, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

It's always a good idea to ask for ID. Quite often if the caller is bogus, being asked for it is enough to make them voluntarily say they'll come back another time and scarper. Opportunistic thieves tend to want easy pickings, not someone who will challenge them.

Nennypops Mon 17-Mar-14 13:30:07

I've never ever had notice that a meter reader is coming. Quite surprised that you expect it, tbh.

Koothrapanties Mon 17-Mar-14 13:53:58

Like I said, I have lived in two flats before this one and never had it happen before! First flat lived there for about 2 and a half years, second one two years, so it must have happened when I was out and dh was home.

Am I that bonkers in thinking that you only let people in if you were expediting them? That's kind of the rule I have always gone by.

Koothrapanties Mon 17-Mar-14 13:54:41

Expediting - expecting.

HemlockStarglimmer Mon 17-Mar-14 15:02:14

Wouldn't it be great if all meters could be read from outside. Our gas meter can but the electricity meter is in the cupboard under the stairs. Which means moving about forty boxes of Lego to access it.

MamaPain Mon 17-Mar-14 15:10:48

I don't have a rule as such. I think most people do it on a case by case basis.

Quite a few people turn up at my door who I'm not expecting, whether I let them in or not isn't dependent on whether they're arrival was planned.

LavenderGreen14 Mon 17-Mar-14 15:19:50

legally they expect to read the meter every 12 months. You should have asked for ID, or he should have offered it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now