To think that you can't shrink jeans like this?

(11 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 17-Mar-14 07:12:17

DH had a massive rant this morning because none of his jeans fit. He reckons it's because I have recently tended to wash stuff and then remove it from the washing machine 12-36 hours later. (This is also his fault but he won't admit it!)

AIBU to think you can't shrink jeans this way and that he is actually just sore because he is putting on weight and doesn't want to admit it? grin

ballinacup Mon 17-Mar-14 07:21:27

Didn't people used to shrink fit their jeans by putting them on and sitting in a bath of water for a few hours? By that logic I suppose leaving them damp for hours may have the same effect...

Either way, don't they smell? I have to get washing out of the machine ASAP or it starts to smell musty.

GertTheFlirt Mon 17-Mar-14 07:22:24

You know the answer OP grin tell him to deal with his own jeans!

Fraggle3112 Mon 17-Mar-14 07:23:10

YABU. I have had clothes do this too, I also find if I hang dresses in my wardrobe and left them for a few month these often shrink too. grin wink

BertieBotts Mon 17-Mar-14 07:27:11

Oh yes, well I could tell him to do his own washing but then I'd have to do my own dishes, and I despise dishes but quite like laundry, so I'm sticking to this arrangement. wink

No it doesn't smell. It smells if you take it out and leave it in the basket for hours but as long as the seal isn't broken on the door (and you don't leave it longer than 48 hours or so) it smells fine. It just gets creased, which is actually more of a pain since it means everything needs ironing.

CrohnicallyChanging Mon 17-Mar-14 07:27:48

I find jeans tighten up a bit when washed, but loosen again when worn.

But feel free to point out to him that if he doesn't like the way you wash/dry his clothes, he's free to do it himself!

FudgefaceMcZ Mon 17-Mar-14 07:28:31

YANBU. I usually leave things in the wash about 8 hours minimum before they get to go in the dryer (unless it's a weekend and we're in all day- rare). My jeans feel tighter after a wash but not so tight they don't fit, and they are back to normal after a couple hours wear. Tell him to watch the chocolate/beer/crisps intake and see if that helps any...

CrohnicallyChanging Mon 17-Mar-14 07:30:14

X posted. In that case, so long as he doesn't leave dishes standing in water in the sink for a day or more, you shouldn't be leaving the laundry in the machine for a day or more.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Mar-14 08:17:46

it must be those dreaded calories again!

Eatriskier Mon 17-Mar-14 08:36:06

My xh used to shrink my jeans really often. When I washed and dried them they would tighten a bit and loosen. When he did it there were times I'd never get back into them without losing a load of weight. I had a weight problem at the time and was getting so depressed over these jeans not fitting. Then it dawned on me. They weren't just shrinking at the waist, they were shrinking in the legs too. And there was no way I was getting taller sadly

Turns out he was drying them in the tumble dryer on hot for over 2hrs a time...

BertieBotts Mon 17-Mar-14 09:05:24

Haha! We don't have a tumble drier, so they get unceremoniously dumped on an airer.

I don't usually leave them in for over a day, BTW. This has just been a bit of a pattern lately, because he keeps moaning about the size of the washing pile and saying "You should put a wash on now!" at times when I know I will forget and/or be too lazy to go (down three floors) and get it as soon as it's done. Whereas when I plan when I'm going to do some washing, I don't just think "Oh - it needs doing now so I'll do it", I also plan for whether I'm actually going to remember/have time to get it again, e.g. doing it when I'll be going downstairs anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now