To wonder if any of you juggle a few careers ?

(8 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Sun 16-Mar-14 23:22:09

I'm not sure if this is possible. I am looking to move on from teaching. I am hoping to do a bit of supply and do a legal secretary course with a view to moving over to paralegal work. I also love art and male a few bits to sell here and there but there is no way I want to rely on art to make a proper living.
Am I nuts to consider juggling all these options for the time being? Exam marking might also be an option in the future.

superstarheartbreaker Sun 16-Mar-14 23:22:24

Make

superstarheartbreaker Mon 17-Mar-14 15:00:25

Anyone doing this?

ilovesooty Mon 17-Mar-14 15:36:02

I used to teach. I now work full time in criminal justice and addiction currently as a careers advisor and employment and training coordinator. As from next month I'm going part time as I've secured a group counsellor role in another service for 16 hours a week. I'm also a self employed counsellor in private practice and chair of the board of trustees for a local charity, but that's unpaid. I deliver training within my company too.

Have you considered setting yourself up as a freelance trainer or becoming qualified as an NVQ assessor?

Objection Mon 17-Mar-14 15:45:26

I'm a Nanny at the Weekend (12 hours on sat & again on sun)
Work in an office 9-5, Mon to Fri.
Doing BSc Psychology with the OU and run a shop on Etsy selling wedding stuff in the evenings.

It's doable - but I have no real life outside of the above!

Weegiemum Mon 17-Mar-14 15:46:16

I was a f/t secondary teacher in a PT (HoD) role.

I now teach adults basic skills (in the charity sector, focussing on young mums with no qualifications, and including "family literacy" - reading with/to young children). This includes coordinating the project, managing volunteers and fundraising.

I tutor Geography privately.

I mark "Higher" Geography each May/June (Scotland).

I do a few hours a week in a voluntary role fundraising/administering for my church's anti-poverty project.

I have 3 dc of 10, 12 and 14, and a dh who works long hours including regular nights/weekends away (he's a doctor).

I'm also disabled with long term neurological issues which affect my mobility, so all these "wee" things suit well and I can gear up to the 3 hellish weeks of marking, putting support in place ahead of time, managing my hospital visits around that time.

I certainly don't earn as much as when I was teaching ft but I wouldn't have been physically able to do it anyway, and I'm really enjoying the flexibility of being in when the dc get home these days.

I realise I'm lucky not to have to work full time, and this suits me and the family very well.

twentyten Mon 17-Mar-14 15:49:47

Portfolio careers- it's great! I lecture,coach and work as a management consultant- plus voluntary work- and look after my mum and dd. Lots of websites for freelancing women. Good luck!

wordfactory Mon 17-Mar-14 15:51:17

I think having a portfolio of different roles is common these days.

I do a heap of things. I write, run some web sites/blogs, lecture at two different universities...

It suits my personality very well and I like the mix grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now