To think Carrie Bradshaw has no redeeming qualities?

(301 Posts)
losercruiser Sun 16-Mar-14 21:04:38

I just finished the episode where she invites Big to stay with her and Aidan in their cabin in the woods.

Now if my boyfriend cheated on me (not just a one off but had a full blown affair with a married woman) and we had got to the point where I had somehow managed to forgive him and we were trying again. If we went on a weekend break and he invited the other woman because she was having boyfriend problems and they were good friends - I'd think fuck that!

I know Aidan didnt have to put up with that but there are many other examples of her not having any redeeming qualities -

Berating Charlotte for not offering to lend her thousands of dollars.
Always talking about herself - I remember when Stanford called her out on it.
Letting Aidan propose to her when she obviously didnt want to marry him.

DrOwh Sun 16-Mar-14 21:07:23

I know. I am glad she didn't stay with Aidan, he deserves so much better.
I love the episode when she sees him and is all excited thinking he will want to go out with her again but he is with his baby.

outtheothersidefinally Sun 16-Mar-14 21:07:26

Awful awful character. Codependent and seriously immature! Unable to exist for a second without a man. Never got the Carrie obsession!

Whocansay Sun 16-Mar-14 21:09:06

She is also the author of her own misery. She is so fucking NEEDY. There was absolutely no reason for her to break up with Big at the end of series 1.

I prefer the other characters. I still love the show though.

Nice flat though.

MsVestibule Sun 16-Mar-14 21:09:37

She's entertaining - one of those friends who you know you couldn't rely on but is good for a laugh on a night out!

I loved the SATC series. Haven't watched SATC2, couldn't bear the disappointment.

mrsjay Sun 16-Mar-14 21:10:39

none whats so ever she is selfish and self absorbed I hated sex in the city but watched every week and she had to much of an interest in shoes i have a feeling she would sell her soul for shoes grin

Wossname Sun 16-Mar-14 21:10:55

Vaguely remember her sneering at Big's wife and her charity work and poor spelling. I have no idea why Carrie was supposed to be an aspirational figure- she was self obsessed, vain, fickle and a bit delusional. Also, so dramatic!

I had no idea I felt so strongly about this!

mrsjay Sun 16-Mar-14 21:11:34

I loved Aiden her and big suited each other

Paloma12 Sun 16-Mar-14 21:13:11

Carrie was awful, as were the other three. But for some reason, it is probably my all-time favourite show! Does anyone else think Big and Carrie had ZERO sexual chemistry?

JohnFarleysRuskin Sun 16-Mar-14 21:13:29

Her shoes and her hair.

Oldraver Sun 16-Mar-14 21:14:30

Cant stand the character ugly on the outside and inside. Why women aspire to be like her I dont know

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 16-Mar-14 21:15:06

Despite apparently being a fashion icon I thought her clothes were fucking awful.

AnnieMaybe Sun 16-Mar-14 21:15:06

I sometimes ponder over which sex in the city character I would be

I'm I mix of all four

Anyhoo I thought Carrie and Big getting toether at the end was the right ending

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 16-Mar-14 21:15:59

You're so right.

When she broke up with Big because he didn't tell her he loved her hmm

Get a fucking grip, love.

mrsjay Sun 16-Mar-14 21:16:30

Big and Carrie had ZERO sexual chemistry?

the only sexual chemistry they had were with themselves Maranda and whatshisface had more chemistry

mrsjay Sun 16-Mar-14 21:16:45

STEVE his name is STEVE grin

DevonCiderPunk Sun 16-Mar-14 21:19:18

You're right she is bankrupt in the character department, but that's part of the show's appeal...

My biggest "WTF" was in the film, where all 3 of her high-flying friends were able to drop everything and accompany her on the honeymoon-that-never-was to coddle her for a fortnight.

Hassled Sun 16-Mar-14 21:19:32

Miranda wasn't awful. I liked Miranda - although she seemed an unlikely friend for Carrie.

Agree about Carrie - she took self-obsession to dizzying new heights. Fuck knows who actually read her whiney column.

notnowImreading Sun 16-Mar-14 21:20:21

I remember Sarah Jessica Parker saying in an interview that she was astonished by the number of people who said they related to Carrie because she thought she was the least relatable character she had ever played. It was quite interesting to read that from her.

expatinscotland Sun 16-Mar-14 21:21:47

They were all utter bams.

squoosh Sun 16-Mar-14 21:22:20

Well I like Carrie but I've never wanted to be her. Why is it that women are always assumed to want to be fictional characters that they enjoy watching.

And I thought Aidan was awful, whiney, passive aggressive, controlling.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sun 16-Mar-14 21:22:38

I have never 'got' that show. I know that's down to personal taste and there are many shows that aren't my cup of tea but SATC was on another level of unfunny shite. I don't understand the following. are there really that many shallow people in the world?

Shlurpbop Sun 16-Mar-14 21:24:43

She's like that wingey woman that writes for the daily mail - Liz Jones!
Self obsessed, ridiculous, writes a column, awful hair, designer label fashion victim...they're the same person!

squoosh Sun 16-Mar-14 21:25:14

I don't understand how watching SATC makes people 'shallow'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now