to not really like any of the characters in Grease?

(104 Posts)
LauraAshleyDuvetCover Sun 16-Mar-14 13:04:59

I love the music, but think they're a thoroughly unlikeable group of people!

They're all are insecure and bitchy, and spend all their time trying to impress their friends. Sandy isn't I suppose, but she shouldn't have gone back to Danny and then changed for him like she did.

Frenchy's the easiest to like imo, and she's not exactly sensible...

peeveddoesntcoverit Sun 16-Mar-14 13:12:08

I really don't get why Grease is considered such a classic anyway. The songs are catchy, but the characters are terrible and the whole thing just crosses the line from 'cheesy but good fun anyway' into 'cheesy but actually pretty sexist and plotless' for me. And those three guys who think they're the Stooges should be shot.
But maybe I'm just bitter because at every teenage sleepover my friends all forced me too watch it. grin

It's shit cos I just don't get it

Not my cup of tea at all.

ChocolateSnowflakes Sun 16-Mar-14 13:20:40

YABU not to love Frenchy. Or Jan. Or Rizzo. YANBU to not love Sandy though. She does my head in.

Oldandcobwebby Sun 16-Mar-14 13:23:53

Speaking as a bloke, (teenager when Grease came out), I could really see the joy in Sandy being all innocence and charm. I would have crossed the road to avoid her in her Mark II version. Yuck.

squoosh Sun 16-Mar-14 13:25:47

I think it's such a grim and depressing film. Don't get it at all.

LittleBearPad Sun 16-Mar-14 13:27:36

YABU to not like Rizzo. She's great.

The rest is appalling.

LauraAshleyDuvetCover Sun 16-Mar-14 13:33:42

I don't mind Frenchy, I suppose. She's quite sweet if a bit dim.

Marty is embarrassing, the way she fawns over older men and constantly trying to be more sophisticated. Rizzo's just so hard, although she does have some good lines.

The three supporting T-birds are not as funny as they think they are.

Orangeanddemons Sun 16-Mar-14 13:36:02

The headmistress is great!

arp2411 Sun 16-Mar-14 13:36:39

Grease 2 is so much better.
wink

Financeprincess Sun 16-Mar-14 13:36:59

I only liked it when I was a kid because I thought it was a bit sophisticated and rude.

The only one I like is Rizzo. I wouldn't want to be her, but at least she was a laugh!

Sandy disappointed me greatly, in both her incarnations. She starts off as a wet lettuce and ends up as a man-pleasing idiot!

KateSpade Sun 16-Mar-14 13:56:26

I never knew so many people thought the same way!

The only things i liked were Rizzo's hard attitude, not the bullying, nasty side & John Travolta, he is a dreamboat!

somethingwillturnup Sun 16-Mar-14 14:00:43

I'm with squoosh and Daryl - totally crap and have managed to avoid it since the first viewing. Don't understand the attraction tbh

Innogen Sun 16-Mar-14 14:07:39

Rizzo is great.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 16-Mar-14 14:14:48

I like Grease, not one of my favourites but kids love it.
Maybe that's what 50's /60's was like in America.

CorusKate Sun 16-Mar-14 14:15:33

You're lucky if Grease was the worst thing you had to tolerate at sleepovers. For my generation the big thing was Friends. Inevitable and interminable viewing and re-viewing of "favourite" episodes at sleepovers. Whenever teachers wanted to keep a room full of girls quiet for anything from half an hour upwards, out came the Friends videos. I have never willingly watched a single minute of Friends, and yet stupid smelly cat songs, and turkey on the head gags that were better when Mr Bean did them, and hilarious let's- draw-on-someone's-face-while-they're-asleep routines are taking up valuable brain-space.

DorisAllTheDay Sun 16-Mar-14 14:18:43

I was 14 when it was first released. Like a lot of teenage girls, I thought it was fantastic and fell in love with at least five of the main characters (of both genders). Felt nostalgic about it for at least a decade afterwards, and enjoyed the memories. In my late 20s and 30s I decided it was a load of sexist rubbish and media manipulation - nothing good about it at all. Then a few years ago I went to see a singalong version with then-teenage DDs, and I fell in love with it all over again. Especially Rizzo - I think Stockard Channing was just wonderful in the part.

Caitlin17 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:32:20

It's terribly sexist. I did like Rizzo's There are worse things I can do

"I could hurt someone like me,
Out of spite or jealousy.
I dont steal and I dont lie."

I also liked the headmistress' line about being an athletic supporter.

I think I've only seen it all the way through once. In the cinema only my friend and I laughed at the athletic supporter line.

VoyageDeVerity Sun 16-Mar-14 14:41:12

The music is great but some of the characterisation was v weird. I could never fathom the one that was meant to be fat was actually tiny and thin confused

Tryharder Sun 16-Mar-14 14:44:57

YABVVVVVVVVVVU

I didn't realise it was possible to dislike Greaseshock

LauraAshleyDuvetCover Sun 16-Mar-14 14:47:50

I don't dislike Grease as a whole... I just dislike most of the characters. Excepting the Teen Angel, he's hilarious (although also bitchy).

withextradinosaurs Sun 16-Mar-14 15:12:06

I no idea it was so rude until I watched it recently on telly! I remember cheesy high-school fun, not Greased Lightning being a Pussy Wagon!

2rebecca Sun 16-Mar-14 15:15:15

I love the music but hate the way it's so anti-education. The only kids with academic ambitions are ridiculed. Plus they all look as though they should have left school 10 years ago. Grange Hill was on not long after that so teenage actors did exist. Even if they had to have John Travolta and Olivia they could have made the others 17-18.

kim147 Sun 16-Mar-14 15:17:01

Did John Travolta stay a "jock" for long?

(impressed at how she speaks American)

Do high schools have such tribes at school?

blanchedeveraux Sun 16-Mar-14 15:20:38

Lol, the lyrics to Greased Lightning are terribly rude. "ain't no shit..we'll be getting lots of tit" and "the chicks'll cream for greased lightning".

I found out recently that it was supposed to be sung by Jeff Conaway's character but Travolta got all diva on it and stole the poor guy's only solo. Seemed a bit shabby considering how many songs Travolta was getting to sing.

Another Rizzo fan here, she stole the whole film with "There are worse things I could do". Sandy on the other hand is an asshat and should have stayed in Australia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now