In thinking this is actually not bad for a 9 yr old?

(19 Posts)
nirish14 Sat 15-Mar-14 23:52:15

My DD(9) asked for laptop to write a story. She loves writing and gets good reports from school regarding literacy.

Below is the first part of her story (I'm not 100% sure how long the finished product will be smile )

Can I ask if you think I'm being a tad PFB in thinking it's quite good?

Doves:

The further I stepped away from the situation my parents were arguing about, the sadder I felt inside.

My heart was pounding as I ran away into the open sky feeling free to do anything I desired. I ran to Swallows Nest to go to the cottage. No one dared to darken at the cottage; as rumours said it was haunted. I never believed them though.

At the cottage it was silent and peaceful. Not the sound of arguing and smashed windows. There at that moment was a tiny chirp. I had to know what it was. Suddenly I heard a flap and there, right at that spot a family of Doves circled ahead of me.

I ran up the hill and sat there on my knees watching the white sparkling Doves fly by. I loved that cooing sound that they made but they tend to head my direction. One Dove stared at me and flew too me and lay on my knee. I smiled and giggled as he pecked me and nibbled at my denim jacket.

The Dove and I watched the Swallows return to their nests but a hunter went and shot one of the Swallows! I couldn't help but cry. The Dove tried to make me giggle again by nibbling at my denim jacket but it just made me cry even more. As I wiped away my tears I got up and gave the Dove some of my water cress sandwich.

I decided to return home and leave a trail of water cress for the Dove to go back home to its family.

CocktailQueen Sat 15-Mar-14 23:58:16

Yes, it's good. My dd went through a stage of writing just like this. You can tell what they've been learning in school - adjectives, adverbs, etc.

It's great that your dd enjoys writing stories smile what will happen next with this one?

vestandknickers Sun 16-Mar-14 00:02:43

It is lovely that she enjoys writing. Hopefully she'll use that enthusiasm to really concentrate in class and learn how to develop her writing skills.

nirish14 Sun 16-Mar-14 00:02:44

CocktailQueen yes she loves writing, probably more so than reading at the moment.

I'm just pleased she's doing ok at something she enjoys,because she does struggle a bit with maths.

As for where the story will go, I have no idea but am looking forward to it grin

nirish14 Sun 16-Mar-14 00:03:38

Here's hoping vestandknickers

OpalQuartz Sun 16-Mar-14 00:26:53

I have a 9 year old dd too and I think that is really very good. I could be wrong but I think even a GCSE student would get good marks for writing like that.

HadABadDay2014 Sun 16-Mar-14 00:57:36

I want to read the rest now.

I don't think I could write like that, well done to your daughter I bet you are one proud mother.

wobblyweebles Sun 16-Mar-14 01:04:32

Much better than anything my 10yo DD would write! Very nice.

VeryStressedMum Sun 16-Mar-14 01:06:44

It's really good she's very talented to write like that at her age.

NatashaBee Sun 16-Mar-14 01:12:33

That's lovely. Seems very different from the type of story that kids that age would write - she has a very vivid imagination!

MissieEverdeen Sun 16-Mar-14 02:05:37

It's brilliant! A lovely read.

AgaPanthers Sun 16-Mar-14 02:36:36

YABU for implying that anyone had said it was bad.

nirish14 Sun 16-Mar-14 07:38:14

Thank you for the lovely comments.

AgaPanthers I wasn't implying anyone thought it was bad, it was just I was unsure if it was as good as I thought it was ( being her mum, most things she does are brilliant in my eyes grin and wanted some unbiased opinions.

Backtobedlam Sun 16-Mar-14 07:46:08

That's amazing, she has a real talent there! If she enjoys it all the better-as a child I used to write plays and stories for fun (weird I know) but it was a great outlet for all my worries/thoughts/feelings that I didn't necessarily want to talk about. Writings very therapeutic and with a talent like that who knows where it could take her.

Supercosy Sun 16-Mar-14 07:49:21

I think that's fantastic, what a great writer she is already!

lilsupersparks Sun 16-Mar-14 09:23:33

I'm a secondary English teacher. That's better than many year 9 students and shows more natural flair than some sixth formers!

dreampalace Sun 16-Mar-14 09:29:54

I also think that's GCSE standard - and hope you will tell her that smile

SamandCat Sun 16-Mar-14 09:41:20

Lovely!

Cocolepew Sun 16-Mar-14 09:45:05

My 12 yo DD wouldn't be able to write like that, it's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now