To be put off by this?

(545 Posts)
DomesticDisgrace Sat 15-Mar-14 23:39:55

Please tell me I'm being unreasonable! I met this really really lovely guy today and I was hoping he'd ask me out because we hit it off instantly! When I came home he did and I was absolutely delighted, we decided on the cinema and he texted saying "I'll book the tickets, can you look after the grub?"
I can't help but be really put off by him now, I'm disgusted with myself blush
I haven't been on a date in about six years as I was with my ex and he wasn't working for the majority of our relationship so I'm super scared of ending up with a stinge (this guy is working by the way)

Am I being horrible? It's really put me off him!

PoppyField Thu 20-Mar-14 19:54:38

Phew! Sounds lovely. Was there a kiss OP?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 20-Mar-14 17:08:44

Hurrah!

neontetra Wed 19-Mar-14 21:43:47

Lovely it's going so well! Good luck to you both.

Sleepyfergus Wed 19-Mar-14 16:07:35

Glad it went well. I hope you won't be so silly to jump to conclusions again over a 2 line text. All that angst over nothing.

susiedaisy Wed 19-Mar-14 08:51:00

That's fab op glad it went well. Wow what a big thread over the word grubgringringrin

Gen35 Wed 19-Mar-14 08:01:31

Yay! texts and email are so open to misinterpretation, dh and I would never have gotten together in the txt age as he comes across as really cold, which he isn't at all in rl. I do comms type stuff for a living and the amount of times I realise I've been unclear...Fingers crossed for you.

Aeroflotgirl Wed 19-Mar-14 07:51:52

Well done, he does sound lovely. I am glad you saw passed his comment abiut getting the grub in

Dillydollydaydream Wed 19-Mar-14 07:36:58

Ah glad the date went well. He sounds lovely. Maybe he's been lurking on this thread getting pointers wink

Qix Wed 19-Mar-14 00:00:21

Ooooh, lovely!

DomesticDisgrace Tue 18-Mar-14 23:15:08

No the football match starts at 8pm on the other side of the city so I'd be asking my dad to babysit from about 6.30pm to 11.30pm and even though he's very much "Oh ask any time" etc I don't like to take advantage or to make it a really regular thing.
Plus I think I'd enjoy a few drinks on a night DD is with her dad.

God it's mad how that one bloody text made him seem (to me) like a cheapskate but that doesn't seem to be the way he is at all!

Preciousbane Tue 18-Mar-14 23:12:43

How lovely and bakewell tarts are one of my favourites.

phantomnamechanger Tue 18-Mar-14 23:09:31

aww lovely, enjoy, he sounds nice

LizSurly Tue 18-Mar-14 23:05:09

aw! glad it went well. He sounds like he really likes you! do you have a babysitter? is the football match an afternoon thing?

i want to go on a date now

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 18-Mar-14 22:59:37

awwwwwwwwww sweet

expatinscotland Tue 18-Mar-14 22:58:28

Great stuff!!!

squoosh Tue 18-Mar-14 22:57:06

Hurrah!

He's not mean, far from it it seems, just loves a snack. That's quite a list of gifts he brought for you.

YouTheCat Tue 18-Mar-14 22:56:24

That sounds really positive.

He definitely doesn't sound like a cheapskate.

DomesticDisgrace Tue 18-Mar-14 22:54:30

I'm home!!

Aw God it went really well!
I know some of you will think this is ott but he bought me flowers, a book, sweets for my DD and a scratch card (!?)
He bought me coffee when I arrived and we yapped the ears off each other non stop and really did gel very well.
When we finished our coffees I just said "a popcorn combo yeah?" Going to the popcorny place and he said yeah please. It turns out a "popcorn combo" is just a medium popcorn and a drink!! Not half as exciting as I'd imagined!
Oh yeah I forgot, with the coffees he bought two mini bakewell tarts wink
Definitely loves his grub as he asked did I want to go for dinner somewhere afterwards, but I didn't want to leave my dad too long (and wasn't hungry)

He walked me home with no promting and even when I said Ah you can leave me here etc he wouldn't hear of it.
He asked me to go see a football match on Monday which I would love but don't want to ask my dad to babysit again so soon so we're going for drinks the weekend after next as I'm going away the weekend coming.

I'm so glad I went now!!

LizSurly Tue 18-Mar-14 21:23:38

Yeh :-)

Report back.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Tue 18-Mar-14 19:50:47

Hope it's going well!!

eddielizzard Tue 18-Mar-14 06:38:36

i reckon he threw it in there to see your reaction. if you went all prima donna-ish and were clearly expecting him to pay for everything for the rest of eternity he had a preview.

DomesticDisgrace Mon 17-Mar-14 23:00:32

Oh Daisy I'm thrilled to hear that!! I really hope the tightwaddery was just a blunder, crossed wires, mixed messages, anything other than him being mean!

It's not really on his way to walk me home at all but I'll get the bus I'll be home in ten minutes.
He has also asked me if I'd like to play badminton with him one Sunday which I'd love! All going well!

daisychain01 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:50:47

Dateman sounds extremely like my DP except for the tightwaddery (if that's what it ends up being...). He's a foodie, talks about food in lists with lots of sluuurp, nom nom nom noises. I like a man with a good appetite. He bought me a book on our first date and wrote in it. Dateman doesnt sound the least bit weird, from where Im standing. Full of Irish charm.

Yeah, get him to walk you home if its on his way.

Its sounding hopeful there, kidda, we need the low-down tomorrow!

DomesticDisgrace Mon 17-Mar-14 21:45:53

He was just telling me that the book he got me is the book thief and he wrote inside it "To domestic from dateman" but he said "I was going to write xox but I thought that might be too serious"
He also said it's his nieces second birthday in June and if we're still "together" me and my daughter should come.

He's such a nice guy though!!

nochips Mon 17-Mar-14 20:32:28

Actually, the suggestion about getting the food is not at all wierd to me. To me it says that he liked you, he already felt comfortable with you, and he is treating you in a matey fashion, which tbh is no bad thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now