to get annoyed when service charges are added to the bill?

(52 Posts)
HighwayRat Sat 15-Mar-14 18:35:33

We went out for a grownup lunch today, lovely food, nice restaurant. Got the bill which dp grabbed so he could pay, I had a look at the bill and they'd added a 10% service charge on top of the bill. I was angry that I'd not seen the bill first as I'd have made them remove it. We left no tip because of it.

why do they get to add this 'discretionary' charge on and not tell you about it, or even ask? if the service costs more then increase prices!! If there hadnt been the added charge the tip we would have left would have been about £2 more, and tbh its put me off eating there again.

The different groups I go out for meals with always leave a group tip, in cash.

Usually at least 10%, can be more.

I never put a tip on a card, because I don't believe the staff get this, I always leave a cash tip.

BackforGood Sun 16-Mar-14 15:06:05

YANBU at all.
If the restaurant is going to take an extra 10% off you, then it should be clear and up front and put it on the prices of each item on the menu.
A lot of people - most I'd have thought? - will take into account what a meal is going to cost as one of the deciding factors in choosing to eat at that venue or not, so it's sneaky and underhand to state one thing, then put something in the small print about the fact they are going to add 10%

Don't get me started on theatres adding stuff onto the price you pay, over and above what the advertised ticket price is though....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now