To think the 1980s had something better to treat threadworms

(68 Posts)
JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 14:25:51

I remember having them twice and being given something which got rid of the lot.

My ds, 4, has caught them from school (we had a letter home about a month ago saying they'd had some cases). Now I have them and my dd.

Got the metronidazole stuff that's all Boots sell for worm. But I'm reading so many (horror) stories on the internet about worms staying for month/years/ever despite treatment. Is this stuff crap? Weaker than something I would have had in the early 80s!???

ClownsLeftJokersRight Fri 14-Mar-14 20:48:56

Pripsen is nothing in foulness compared to a yummy glass of Citracidal.

Any worm or living creature would pack it's bags pronto after that. I think it's made with battery acid.

sheeplikessleep Fri 14-Mar-14 20:49:24

I still can't drink mcdonalds strawberry milkshake or indeed any strawberry milky drink as it reminds me of pripsen!

SapphireMoon Fri 14-Mar-14 20:51:12

oh memories clowns. Is that cystitis treatment?
I give you potassium citrate solution- revolting hardly covers it....

JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 20:51:44

Odd about your sachets FannyFifer. I got the text from the current National Pharmacy Association Faqs

http://www.npa.co.uk/PageFiles/22340/FAQsall%20countries_18Mar_13Apr.pdf

JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 20:57:06

Ooh, think piperazine (in pripsen powder) gets you high and was being abused by ravers.

BornFreeButinChains Fri 14-Mar-14 20:58:15

It is expensive its a rip off as you need to buy it twice...they dont ram that home, they say you may need to come back and buy more.

i dont understand why you have to go to the counter to buy them and cant just get them off the shelf?

Any ideas who is likley to have the old fashioned prispen left?

CrohnicallyChanging Fri 14-Mar-14 21:02:07

Citracidel? Never tried that. However, I raise you Moviprep. At least with the pripsen it was half a cup or so.

The Moviprep you have to down 2 litres (8 glasses!) of the stuff.

Can I join the "1980'S Pripsen,worst taste ever club"? Gagging slightly at the memory.

I remember reading at the time the eating a whole raw onion was a natural cure and considering that a better option or even just living with worms.

ClownsLeftJokersRight Fri 14-Mar-14 21:06:42

Sapphire Citracidal is a bit like the 'Barkeepers Friend' of the health food world in that you can use it for lots of random things including threadworms. Actually it'd probably be easier to drink Barkeepers Friend grin.

It is true though that medicines which sneakily try to jolly themselves up by feebly attempting to disguise their ghastliness attempting to taste of raspberry or whatever are annoying. It NEVER WORKS!

At least you know where you are with Citracidal. It's nasty and proud of it. None of this trying to hide behind frooty flavours.

JumpRope Fri 14-Mar-14 21:13:28

What do the French use? I can't find pripsen sachets online anywhere.....

Iggity Fri 14-Mar-14 21:33:26

Pripsen.....still remember it. Am dreading my DS getting worms. Please tell me they have improved the flavour.

FannyFifer Fri 14-Mar-14 21:54:51

We live in a wee village so possibly were ones that were just lurking on the shelf.

monicalewinski Fri 14-Mar-14 23:41:21

Chronic, moviprep is indeed foul - but not a patch on the horrible, nasty stuff you have to drink before a ct scan. Like salty vanilla, I couldn't even down it whilst holding my nose - I was gagging and retching so much I even begged for a tube down my throat at one point. (I am cringing now with the memory!).

CrohnicallyChanging Sat 15-Mar-14 15:21:02

I had a ct scan before- but no salty vanilla drink (barium maybe?), I had one that tasted vaguely aniseed like. It didn't taste too bad to start, but after a litre of it I was feeling pretty sick and crampy!

bellybuttonfairy Sat 15-Mar-14 15:56:08

Dd2 had threadworms a few months ago and so did I. They are utterly vile. When I saw them in my poo - I was completely revulsed. Good hygiene and ovex sorted them out quite quickly. I also would swallow raw cloves of garlic and eat pumpkin seeds.

Im having the shivers just thinking about the little blighters.

You might be interested in what a paediatrician recently told me and what he sent to my doctor in a letter.

My DD ( 6 ) was referred for frequent sickness. He wanted to rule out worms and constipation before blood tests.

Along with movicol and senokot he gave us Vermox (mebendazole) also known as Ovex.

He gave a dose of 5ml twice a day for three days, repeated in a month. He said one dose then one two weeks later doesn't clear them shock

He put this in a letter to our GP to. I don't think she had them but if she did that much meds must of killed the blighters!

I'd get it on prescription from your GP as the liquid is £10 a bottle.

He also said 80% of kids referred to him for tummy problems are riddled with worms, and he has to medicate himself frequently as he gets them from touching the children in his surgeries.

So I'm afraid they are rife and she's still being sick sad

SuedeEffectPochette Mon 17-Mar-14 22:42:21

My parents 1980s cure for worms was to soak raisins in brandy. Then they made us swallow them whole! Not that great tasting but better than Pripsen. Dunno if it worked mind you but I don't seem to have worms now anyway!

WomanScorned Mon 17-Mar-14 23:04:16

I couldn't find Pripsen anywhere, 6 months ago.
We took Ovex twice, washed bedding and hoovered and wiped everywhere, and I bought a stash of generic Mebendazole from Amazon, just in case! I think they were about £12 for 30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now