To think at least 50% of the Adult Population would fail the 11+ Exam

(60 Posts)
motown3000 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:56:56

A light hearted, but none the less interesting post . I was wondering what percentage of the Adult population ( Including Graduates) who if the were given an 11+ Exam would fail ( Some even after having practice) and "Tutoring". I had two daughters go through the 11+ one passed one Failed, and also a Niece/Nephew who both passed.

The other interesting point though it would highlight how poor ( relatively) some adults Literacy and Numeracy skills are.

GertTheFlirt Sat 15-Mar-14 11:26:50

I agree with fusedog

Even brain surgeons need their bind emptied.

frumpity33higswash Sat 15-Mar-14 12:07:22

MOTOWN 3000 Yes, probably more than 50pc would fail. When children take it they are educated and coached for the exam. I would fail miserably now. But I have been to the university of life, Counts for something.

motown3000 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:03:39

The Post from Gert the Flirt is very interesting , that the Government is very concerned and set up the Numeracy Challenge to improve Numeracy.

Incidentally how much of People's problem with Maths is down to poor Teaching?

I only got an E grade at Gcse but have not found a problem with maths ( OK I could Probably not do advanced maths but then again if you have not been taught the formula's who could) . Most Mental Arithmetic and statistical Maths I am able to do with/ or without a Calculator . This is the kind of Maths that is required in the world.

ReallyTired Sat 15-Mar-14 20:15:08

The eleven plus is a mixture of verbal and non verbal reasoning. It is designed to pick out the brightest. I imagine that 80% of adults would fail it. Why is that so shocking?

motown3000 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:39:39

Really Tired. Its not really "Shocking" if the Child is 11 or 12. What is shocking though is that most Adults who have left School at 16,17 or 18 do not have the same Verbal/ Maths or English Skills as bright 11 Year Olds.

Non Verbal Reasoning is very unfair on Dyspraxic or Dyslexia Sufferers and thankfully some L.A have reduced the Importance, or dropped it completely.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 20:47:26

Oh dear, only got 12 out of 15 in the BBC test. I passed the 11+ at school in 1969 and got a grammar school place. About 10 of us in the year group passed, out of over 60 children.

GreenLandsOfHome Sat 15-Mar-14 21:34:02

I don't think the BBC one means much maybe sour grapes

I got 11 out of 15. I have an A* at GCSE maths and a B at A Level Pure Maths!

(And i'm 'only' 27 so it wasn't all that long ago)

motown3000 Sat 15-Mar-14 21:50:47

Green. I am 42, Got 12/15 on that Test and achieved an E in 1989 .

You know what that means don't you with all the "Dumbing Down" It means that an E in 1989 is equal to an A* in 2003..... LOL....

On a serious note though, the Maths teaching I received was non existent . I took a test in the "Devils Newspaper" on Tuesday and got all the questions right apart from the last one which asked if the price of something was £ 250 with 20% off what was it is original . The answer I gave was £300 adding 2 lots of 25 , I looked at the answer in the paper and it was £312.50 , I could not work it out and then I realised ( No One ever told me) after playing about with numbers in my head that you times it by 1.25 so a 75 is a a quarter of 250 add = 325.

The point I am saying is if you were not taught formulas or ways to Calculate Sums, it is the Teaching that has let people down.

motown3000 Sat 15-Mar-14 21:55:43

Beg you pardon "£62.50" + 250= £312.50 62.50 is a quarter of £250...
Now you know why....

ReallyTired Sat 15-Mar-14 21:58:10

The eleven plus doesn't test literacy or numeracy skills. Verbal and numerical reasoning is something completely different. The theory of the eleven plus was that such tests were uncoachable and they would pick out the bright working class child who had been to a medicore primary. Unfortunately all tests are coachable.

All that verbal and numerical reasoning tests test is the innate ablity to do verbal and numerial reasoning tests. This is not the same as intelligence. Assessing someone's intelligence is complex as there are ablities that make someone sucessful which aren't easily tested in a multiple choice paper test.

I don't see it as an issue that lots of adults would not do well at verbal or numerical reasoning inspite of having excellent numeracy and literacy. Every day life does not require complicated pattern matching or working out anagrams. It is perfectly possible to get a good degree, have a good career inspite of not being able to tell if the next object in a silly sequence is a triangle with a dot in the middle or a black square with a circle.

Prehaps the fact that the ablity to do verbal or numerical reasoning papers does not correspond with the ablity to be sucessful is why the eleven plus is unfair. It write off children at far to early an age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now