To think at least 50% of the Adult Population would fail the 11+ Exam

(60 Posts)
motown3000 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:56:56

A light hearted, but none the less interesting post . I was wondering what percentage of the Adult population ( Including Graduates) who if the were given an 11+ Exam would fail ( Some even after having practice) and "Tutoring". I had two daughters go through the 11+ one passed one Failed, and also a Niece/Nephew who both passed.

The other interesting point though it would highlight how poor ( relatively) some adults Literacy and Numeracy skills are.

Retropear Fri 14-Mar-14 14:08:57

Why on earth would you have failed in spectacular fashion?confused

It's not rocket science and any switched on 10 year old could do it.Really not getting the hoo ha.

It's not the passing that is hard but getting a place.

motown3000 Fri 14-Mar-14 16:09:47

I think the Sunday Times , a while a go did an Experiment with some Celebrities ( Including Academics) and asked them to do a new "Style"as in last 10 years 11+. I believe only 4 out of the 20 passed @ (70%) Failures included a Writer and Academics !

Well I got 11/15 on that test because I ran out of time and guessed the last lot.

Educated to masters level so not particularly thick.

akachan Fri 14-Mar-14 16:29:55

I got 15/15 on the BBC test, felt briefly really pleased with myself then remembered it's for 11 year olds.

ComposHat Fri 14-Mar-14 16:44:48

Why would I have failed... well because I was in the remedial group for maths and had no confidence in my ability in English (it had been systematically knocked out of me by one particular teacher).

Not only would I have failed, I doubt I would have been entered for the exam.

NinjaBunny Fri 14-Mar-14 16:58:50

I recently did a GCSE question style test and got 14/16. Think it was on Buzzfeed.

Can't remember which ones I got wrong though.

CorusKate Fri 14-Mar-14 17:08:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

motown3000 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:18:41

12/15 Second Attempt. I did that test years ago and did better. The page Is from 2000.

40sBoy Fri 14-Mar-14 19:35:29

I assed in 1952.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Mar-14 19:40:54

I passed it Age 10.

Got some workbooks a few years ago for dd to have a look at before taki g it and was hmm

Took me quite a while to remember how to do the questions.

AnnabelleLee Fri 14-Mar-14 19:55:08

^Literacy and numeracy are not the be all and end all"

hmm
Seriously? They are basic skills that almost everyone should have. That anyone leaves school without is a shocking thing.

CorusKate - you is an undiscovered Genius my friend grin

I don't do puzzles or IQ tests ever - in fact when I was doing it I had to really force it as my brain went 'ugh, can't be arsed' . In fact I find it really hard now to force myself to do things I don't want to do.

CorusKate Fri 14-Mar-14 20:17:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThinkLikeASpoooooon Fri 14-Mar-14 20:18:07

Id prob fail.

Bunnyjo Fri 14-Mar-14 21:03:16

I passed with 15/15 on the BBC test, but then I am currently at University and got a pretty decent score on a UKCAT recently too.

bakewelltartandcustard Fri 14-Mar-14 21:40:55

When all children did the 11+ exams only 20% passed. I believe girls were marked down because, being more mature than the boys, they would have gained more of the precious grammar school places.
You needed an IQ of at least 120 to pass.

dancingnancy Fri 14-Mar-14 23:17:37

Jesus! Did the BBC thing. 9 out of 15 and says Grammar beckons so s that a pass. I really struggled with the concepts. The ones In attempted I got right but spent the rest of the time just staring trying to make sense of the wording. No wonder folk coach their children.

StarGazeyPond Fri 14-Mar-14 23:30:01

I had the dubious honour of taking the 11+ twice. I think it was the only year they did it twice for the same children. I failed both times.

DramaAlpaca Fri 14-Mar-14 23:38:06

I passed the 11+ in 1975 & went to a girls' grammar.

No idea how I'd do now with the real thing, but I got full marks on the BBC test. I answered the verbal ones very quickly, but was slower on the numerical ones.

At my age I'm just glad that my menopausal brain is clearly still functioning smile

GertTheFlirt Fri 14-Mar-14 23:43:40

To think at least 50% of the Adult Population would fail the 11+ Exam

Of course they would, three quarters of the adult population are functionally innumerate and 44% are functionally illiterate.

This little quiz bandied about on MN this week shows the innumeracy

*The drive is aimed at the 78% of UK adults with an understanding of numeracy below the equivalent of Level 2 (GCSE grades A-C).

www.nationalnumeracy.org.uk/the-challenge-online/index.html

EurotrashGirl Fri 14-Mar-14 23:48:19

YANBU. There is a US TV quiz show called "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?" (5th grade= age 10/11)

Nappaholic Fri 14-Mar-14 23:55:02

I was extremely proud of my son when he sat the 11+ last September, never mind when he passes AND was offered a place at the local grammar school. What I remember most about those few last weeks of swotting though, was how quick he had to be...something like an average of 45 seconds for each verbal reasoning question, and just over a minute for each maths question. Coping under that kind of time pressure was the real test. I think most people could pass the exam given enough time to do it in.

splasheeny Sat 15-Mar-14 00:45:26

I failed but then went on to get 11 gcses and 5 a levels at top grades.

tb Sat 15-Mar-14 11:06:50

I went to school in Cheshire which had stopped the 11+, and replaced it with the 9+ and the 10+. They then extrapolated the results to predict an expected score for the 11+.

I passed, and also passed an entrance exam to another school where 50% of the year had grammar school places. Rumour had it that the people with these places were in the top 2% of the 11+ pass list.

There were no practice tests at school, no coaching - that I was aware of, you just did the test on the day, and that was it.

However, the primary school I went to prepared children for the Common Entrance exam, so in my last year at primary I was factorising quadratic equations, solving simultaneous ones and doing a latin grammar test every Friday morning after break. So, it wasn't quite the ordinary run of the mill primary.

Fusedog Sat 15-Mar-14 11:17:28

And the whole point is to sort the wheat from the chaff

I really hate this new attitude that very one must get a prize Not every one is academic get over it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now