At husband and his clothes fetish

(69 Posts)
dancingnancy Wed 12-Mar-14 14:43:38

Ok, don't get excited - it's not about rubber mankinis or such. But, we are moving soon to a smaller house with less storage and I'm trying to get rid as much stuff as I can. I think husband has far too many clothes, he complains as it is that he feels hard done by at what he sees as his lack of wardrobe space or drawers. So did a quick inventory and

26 pairs sports socks
25 pairs work socks
27 pairs pants
37 t shirts
8 smart jumpers
9 hoodies
10 jackets
35 work shirts
6 dress shrts
7 suits
17 sports tops
15 sports shorts
10 Football jerseys
20 pairs trainers

This is a conservative list and not included works shoes, boots, jeans, shorts etc.

AIBU I wrong to think this is excessive?

BSockFCouncil Thu 03-Jul-14 22:29:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bogeyface Sat 15-Mar-14 16:57:03

You dont think that 7 weeks worth of shirts without needing to do a wash is not excessive?!

ForalltheSaints Sat 15-Mar-14 12:52:51

Seven suits is not excessive and neither are 35 work shirts in my opinion, but some of the others are.

Lovecat Sat 15-Mar-14 10:29:55

DH finds it impossible to chuck stuff too. He keeps his shirts in the spare room and a quick look has found 25 of them. Apparently this is ok because he doesn't wear 15 of them... so why not chuck them, I ask? I haven't had an actual response to that one... he also has about 15 polo shirts that he never wears and 10 rugby shirts, of which 2 get worn in rotation. Don't start me on socks and boxers!

I suspect it's because he does all his own washing and keeps a 3-4 week stash so that he doesn't have to do it too often.

joydivisionovengloves Sat 15-Mar-14 10:16:36

The socks based on the carpet from the shining are available now from Sockaholics online I'm reliably informed!

c4ss3y Fri 14-Mar-14 22:11:14

I have significantly more. s long as there's some storage for it it's fine. but if there's not then either cut back or he can buy an extra wardrobe or 2!

dancingnancy Fri 14-Mar-14 20:34:05

Well dearie me, had words yesterday and husband got a bit snappy and defensive telling me to back off. Got home tonight and therein the charity pile were 8 t shirts, 3 work shirts and two jumpers - one a brand new looking Hugo Boss jobby. Feeling a bit guilty!

voscar Fri 14-Mar-14 20:21:52

That's pretty similar to my DH to be honest. And me actually. We've both got a triple built in wardrobe (so deeper/bigger than a stand alone one) that has double hanging the whole length. The equivalent of 3 double wardrobes each I think.

Then a chest of drawers that we share, and four big drawers under the bed.

Sounds horrendous typed out like that but we both struggle with weight so have slim, normal and a bit chubby in the wardrobes.

joydivisionovengloves Fri 14-Mar-14 19:24:55

I've got the Shining hat! I love it even though it's clearly hideous! CasualCo are releasing socks in the same pattern soon! I want the British Rail carpet hat that's out soon. I am sad.

TheWomanWithTheMysteriousLump Thu 13-Mar-14 19:31:13

Shining carpet socks!!!!!!!! Where? I gots to know!

I am clearly the lone voice of Team DH here. I think I need to go round to S&B and ask "How would you feel if your DH posted this about you?" in order to acquire a posse with flaming pitchforks.

RhondaJean Thu 13-Mar-14 19:27:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Could you do that thing where you turn around all the hangers and see what's been worn? Then you can show him he has stuff he hasn't worn for ages.

My dh has more clothes than me but neither of us have many, he just has work stuff on top of what is our normal stuff

thebestnameshavegone Thu 13-Mar-14 11:26:18

i'm another one with a socks and shirts loving dh. he has 2 drawers full of socks. I counted the shirts in his wardrobe last night - 38 of them and that's before you count the ones in the laundry basket and the ironing mountain pile. and he's currently abroad on business so has at least 4 with him. <bangs head on desk>

dancingnancy Thu 13-Mar-14 09:36:14

If we vacuum storage he will just buy more stuff. He just loves shopping. He was even excited at taking our 11 yr old shopping yesterday on his own and had a ball. Was really surprised when they came home with just what we had discussed he needed. Probably need to go and check the boot of his car for hidden purchases!

jemjelly Thu 13-Mar-14 09:13:20

Would he agree to keeping some of it in vacuum storage bags, I do that's with my winter clothes in the summer, they shrink down to nothing and it protects them too. Surely he can't be wearing it all all the time.

Gunznroses Thu 13-Mar-14 08:48:53

How can a grown man just have 1 work shirt? Surely you need at least 1 for each working day of the week. I'm beginning to understand now all these men in the office with awful body odour!

WhoDaresWins Thu 13-Mar-14 08:40:15

I think it's a ludicrous amount. 37 t shirts!!! Why does anyone need 37 t shirts?

joydivisionovengloves Thu 13-Mar-14 08:30:22

RhondaJean my DP is a British Sock Fetish Council member too. I went to the Southern meeting and it was actually a really good night! I enjoyed the looks on the local's faces when they saw the sign that said "reserved for Sock Club" on the function room doors. Guessing the bobble hats you refer to are the Casual Connoiseur weirs? I have two and DP is green with envy. They always sell out in seconds.

Preciousbane Wed 12-Mar-14 22:26:28

Rhonda
The sock fetish council I was very much shock looks like a laugh though.

Bogeyface Wed 12-Mar-14 21:47:41

Dojo actually same here, but I was being generous!

DoJo Wed 12-Mar-14 21:39:15

He is being very selfish and frankly 2 double and 1 single wardrobes for one person in a small house is bloody ridiculous. That enough for 2 adults and a child!

If you go by our family, that's enough for 5 adults and a child - husband and I share a small-ish wardrobe and have a mid-sized chest of drawers each while son just has a chest of drawers. Can't imagine finding that many clothes I even liked...

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 12-Mar-14 21:37:17

Jesus.

Here the kit list of a man who works with grease all week:

20 pairs socks
10 pairs of pants
6 tshirts
4 polo shirts.
4 pairs chinos
4 pairs work trousers
3 coloured shirts.
3 white office shirts
1 blue standard cut suit
1 cream jacket
1 linen mix loose cut suit, suitable for heavy drinking in good company.
1 pair shoes
1 pair work boots
2 pairs of trainers.
Some ties, usually worn when the guest of honour is being carried.

Plateofcrumbs Wed 12-Mar-14 21:28:39

Yeah sounds like my DH!

Joysmum Wed 12-Mar-14 21:28:28

I have one rail of clothes, DH has 3. He likes clithes, I like books.

NearTheWindymill Wed 12-Mar-14 21:24:55

We have just moved house after 20 years in the same one. I made DH throw out all but three of the frayed gardening shirts, all pants and socks with holes in, trousers with holes in and his old leather jacket bought by his previous girlfriend that was well passed its sell by date. This means he doesn't have much casual stuff left sad. He does have two double wardrobes and a chest of drawers though. And he has about 8 pairs of pants open and about 12 in the packets but he won't get out a new pair until he throws away an old pair - same with socks - drives me mad

20 pairs of trainers shock. My DH has three pairs of work shoes, one pair of brown brogues, one pair of deck shoes, one pair of espadrilles, one pair of slippers, one pair of walking boots.

My DH didn't have much growing up - it has just made him make things last.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now