Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

At husband and his clothes fetish

(69 Posts)
dancingnancy Wed 12-Mar-14 14:43:38

Ok, don't get excited - it's not about rubber mankinis or such. But, we are moving soon to a smaller house with less storage and I'm trying to get rid as much stuff as I can. I think husband has far too many clothes, he complains as it is that he feels hard done by at what he sees as his lack of wardrobe space or drawers. So did a quick inventory and

26 pairs sports socks
25 pairs work socks
27 pairs pants
37 t shirts
8 smart jumpers
9 hoodies
10 jackets
35 work shirts
6 dress shrts
7 suits
17 sports tops
15 sports shorts
10 Football jerseys
20 pairs trainers

This is a conservative list and not included works shoes, boots, jeans, shorts etc.

AIBU I wrong to think this is excessive?

TheWomanWithTheMysteriousLump Wed 12-Mar-14 18:07:22

Does the new house have an attic? New bed with storage drawers? Vacuum packs can be v useful for out of season clothes. But basically, his collection, he should find the solution.

Preciousbane Wed 12-Mar-14 19:07:05

That is an amazing amount of clothing. I have never counted DH but it is so small here is a guesstimate

4 work suits
1 DJ
8 to 10 work shirts
25 t.shirts but this includes gig t.shirts that are 30 years old
5 jumpers
Lots of ties, probably 50
2 pairs of jeans
5 fleeces
3 casual shirts
1 hideous football manager style coat
1 goretex walking jacket thing
1 posh coat, cashmere that cost a fortune
Set of cricket whites
2 pairs of trainers
3 pairs of work shoes
1 pair of casual shoes
2 pairs of walking boots
2 pairs of sandals

Not a clue on socks and pants but one draw full each.

I have far less clothes than your DH, one double wardrobe with two draws underneath and then a large suitcase.

dancingnancy Wed 12-Mar-14 19:09:36

Oh yes, he has two fshmancy cashmere coats too and two formal/ dinner type outfits.

magicalmrmistoffelees Wed 12-Mar-14 19:28:25

Argh this sounds like my DH, so I can sympathise! He refuses to throw any items of clothing away unless they are damaged beyond repair, even if he hasn't worn it for years. He owns far more clothes than I do.

magicalmrmistoffelees Wed 12-Mar-14 19:30:26

PS he has 52 work shirts...

RhondaJean Wed 12-Mar-14 19:31:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bogeyface Wed 12-Mar-14 19:35:56

I didnt ask H the last time we had a clear out, I just did it. He hasnt mentioned that half of his t shirt collection has disappeared, so presumably he hasnt noticed.

35 work shirts is a ridiculous amount.

I would be inclined to say "Look, we have X space and I expect to use 50% of that. I dont care what you do with your clothes, but I am going to be using my 50% for my stuff, you will need to make alternative arrangements for yours" And STICK TO IT.

Once he realises that half of his stuff is up in the loft he may well change his tune. If it is good quality and good labels then he may be able to flog them on ebay.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Wed 12-Mar-14 19:46:12

No, nothing like that amount.

Does he wear them all?

Preciousbane Wed 12-Mar-14 19:50:03

My appalling sentence structure looks like I was counting husbands!
A sock club, good grief, DH socks cost a fortune as he has size 14 feet.

Does the sock club have a web page?

dancingnancy Wed 12-Mar-14 19:51:13

Couldn't just throw stuff out, he pays a fortune for it and is very much in control of his wardrobe unlike my BIL, where my sister does all his shopping and he doesn't care what he wears.

He probably needs more wardrobe space than me though as he has a big works wardrobe.

And we won't have a loft. Don't even have any wardrobes yet just one rail in a cupboard, farkin hell!

Bogeyface Wed 12-Mar-14 19:55:14

HE doesnt need more wardrobe space, he wants it, there is a difference. He can only wear 5 suits and 5 shirts a week so if you are feeling generous, allow him space for that and then the rest is 50/50 and you must stick to it as otherwise, there is no incentive for change.

He is being very selfish and frankly 2 double and 1 single wardrobes for one person in a small house is bloody ridiculous. That enough for 2 adults and a child!

Orangeanddemons Wed 12-Mar-14 20:13:23

I have 2 double wardrobes, a single, all with drawers underneath, and a very large chest of drawers. Crammed to bursting blush

Underneath my bed are about 60 pairs of shoes blushblush

I think he doesn't have much tbh grin

Also, have just remembered hooks in hall crammed with my coats too

RhondaJean Wed 12-Mar-14 20:45:21

RhondaJean Wed 12-Mar-14 20:52:09

justmyview Wed 12-Mar-14 21:11:31

A sock club? Ha ha that's funny. What a hoot !

mymiraclebubba Wed 12-Mar-14 21:14:50

haha my dp has masses more clothes than me! and shoes for that matter....must shop more!

EatShitDerek Wed 12-Mar-14 21:18:07

I could.easily have as much. I have clothes and shoes that are 10 years old. I don't grow you see

EatShitDerek Wed 12-Mar-14 21:19:10

I could.easily have as much. I have clothes and shoes that are 10 years old. I don't grow you see

bakewelltartandcustard Wed 12-Mar-14 21:24:42

Throughout our marriage my ex and I shared one single wardrobe and a chest of drawers.
Clothes were not a priority while we struggled to pay the mortgage and bills. dancing's dp has more money than sense.

NearTheWindymill Wed 12-Mar-14 21:24:55

We have just moved house after 20 years in the same one. I made DH throw out all but three of the frayed gardening shirts, all pants and socks with holes in, trousers with holes in and his old leather jacket bought by his previous girlfriend that was well passed its sell by date. This means he doesn't have much casual stuff left sad. He does have two double wardrobes and a chest of drawers though. And he has about 8 pairs of pants open and about 12 in the packets but he won't get out a new pair until he throws away an old pair - same with socks - drives me mad

20 pairs of trainers shock. My DH has three pairs of work shoes, one pair of brown brogues, one pair of deck shoes, one pair of espadrilles, one pair of slippers, one pair of walking boots.

My DH didn't have much growing up - it has just made him make things last.

Joysmum Wed 12-Mar-14 21:28:28

I have one rail of clothes, DH has 3. He likes clithes, I like books.

Plateofcrumbs Wed 12-Mar-14 21:28:39

Yeah sounds like my DH!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 12-Mar-14 21:37:17

Jesus.

Here the kit list of a man who works with grease all week:

20 pairs socks
10 pairs of pants
6 tshirts
4 polo shirts.
4 pairs chinos
4 pairs work trousers
3 coloured shirts.
3 white office shirts
1 blue standard cut suit
1 cream jacket
1 linen mix loose cut suit, suitable for heavy drinking in good company.
1 pair shoes
1 pair work boots
2 pairs of trainers.
Some ties, usually worn when the guest of honour is being carried.

DoJo Wed 12-Mar-14 21:39:15

He is being very selfish and frankly 2 double and 1 single wardrobes for one person in a small house is bloody ridiculous. That enough for 2 adults and a child!

If you go by our family, that's enough for 5 adults and a child - husband and I share a small-ish wardrobe and have a mid-sized chest of drawers each while son just has a chest of drawers. Can't imagine finding that many clothes I even liked...

Bogeyface Wed 12-Mar-14 21:47:41

Dojo actually same here, but I was being generous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now