To ask if I am the only person who has ever done this horribly embarrassing/painful thing

(60 Posts)
DealForTheKids Tue 11-Mar-14 19:48:49

So today I went to change my tampon. I have done this a number of times, being as I am in my late 20s.

I got a Tampax Compact out, started to put it in, and - um.. Trapped my labia in the plastic applicator.

It was, without a doubt, the single most painful thing I have ever done. I never thought I had issues in that area, size-wise... Perhaps I had it too close?

Please tell me someone else has done this!!

<prepares to go cry alone with wine if the answer is 'no, you freak'>

deakymom Tue 11-Mar-14 21:32:31

i can't use non applicators i have long nails!! do they get icky if you use a mooncup?

drnoitall Tue 11-Mar-14 21:38:28

This was not me but a friend reckoned she couldn't remember removing her last tampon and went to a&e where a male doctor had a good rummage..... Found nothing.
Can't believe she told an office full of people.

Eatriskier Tue 11-Mar-14 21:41:32

I've done it too. thanks

However as a mooncup user I can assure you it isn't the answer. 1) because I've pinged myself in the face with it blush and 2) I use chillis a lot in my cookery.

However if you aren't a twat like me, try mooncup

Mandy2003 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:47:16

Are compak the ones with the claws on the business end? Tampax Pearl have plastic applicators but are really smooth and klutz proof smile

bluebeanie Tue 11-Mar-14 21:47:58

Yep, I've done it...Does anyone else hate the flaps covering the tip of the standard cardboard applicator tampons? If there is any type of gap between the tampon and the pointy flaps when inserting it can hurt sooo bad. Stupid addition a few years ago. Grumble.

gimcrack Tue 11-Mar-14 21:54:31

Never done it, but now I'm terrified that I will.

MammaTJ Tue 11-Mar-14 21:58:31

I have done it loads of times, so switched to no applicator ones. Now I use a mooncup!

hiddenhome Tue 11-Mar-14 22:32:06

Mooncups never bite smile

FutTheShuckUp Tue 11-Mar-14 22:54:57

Unrelated but re cardboard applicators does anyone else find there is nothing to grip when you need to push the one tube inside the other one forcing you to make your own 'flap' (pardon the pun)

Mandy2003 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:57:56

Yes I'm sure the cardboard ones are harder to grip/use than they used to be.

Oh god I remember getting a tampon stuck halfway up and unable to pull the string down the first time I used one when I was about 12 ! my mum rang the neighbour who was a nurse (and the mother of a friend of mine I'd fallen out with) to come and get it out. So embarrassing !

piratecat Wed 12-Mar-14 08:17:34

yep done that. bastard isn't it.

thisisntalliam Wed 12-Mar-14 08:21:30

(NC'd for something else) I caught them in my knickers once - was a lacy pair a few years ago, somehow the skin had gotten stuck in one of the lacy bits. It had then swelled up, turned a bit purple (the skin that was stuck I mean, so like a wee blood blister) and because it was swollen, I couldn't remove my knickers, they just dangled from it!!

I was seventeen at the time and had to get my mum to help me - she removed the knickers and the swollen bit with nail scissors in the end. She wasn't sure if she should actually call the GP but I was mortified at the very thought! Ended up bruised, took a few days for it to go back to normal.

frogslegs35 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:33:10

BeaWheesht You have my sympathy, it does bloody knack. Midwife done more damage to my bits than what my baby did when I gave birth a few days later.

Yes to the cardboard apps having no grip, sometimes you have to really force them.
I still keep using them though because lilets just don't seem to work for me properly - I can't position them straight nor high enough up and end up uncomfortable.

StrawberryGashes Wed 12-Mar-14 09:38:52

It happened to me about 12 years ago and the memory still haunts me...

Sparklingbrook Wed 12-Mar-14 09:50:35

I can't use those Compact ones with the claws on the end. They feel like they are slicing you in half.

I agree about the cardboard ones but I prefer them.

piratecat Wed 12-Mar-14 09:53:49

the tampax pearls seem to be the best. no claws, no stoopid soggy cardboard.

CloverHeart Wed 12-Mar-14 10:04:57

This is why I'm glad I've got at least 6 months tampon free :D

...but yes, I have felt your pain. Nothing worse than a mangled labia winceface

TeeBee Wed 12-Mar-14 10:12:36

Owwww, shit, I'm crossing my legs. No, never done that but I have burnt my nipple with an iron (never iron naked). Was soooooo painful for days.

TheListingAttic Wed 12-Mar-14 10:13:09

I'm normally a non-applicator person - the last time I used Tampax Compact it took me two goes to figure out how to assemble the sodding applicator bit!

gender incompetent

FaceDirectionOfTravel Wed 12-Mar-14 10:20:30

Someone I am close to got a papercut on his bellend once. Ow.

PansOnFire Wed 12-Mar-14 10:21:37

Ouch! Ouch to all of the horror stories, but mostly to the ones about the nurse and the speculum!

I can't use applicator tampons because I always end up stabbing myself of the inside, it hurts so much when I do it that I have to switch to pads for a day or so afterwards. I must be missing a vital part of the instructions I think sad

Dillydollydaydream Wed 26-Mar-14 12:15:25

Glad I'm not the only unfortunate one to be injured by compak tampons. Ouch.

Aberchips Wed 26-Mar-14 12:26:34

Not done that, but I once trimmed a little bit of me by mistake whilst trimming my lady garden shock - that brought tears to my eyes I can tell you!!

ilikebigbutts Wed 26-Mar-14 12:31:51

I hate tampons...haven't used them for years. When I was in my early 20s I was using them and then noticed a fowl smell coming from my fanjo area (this was about a week after my period had finished). I eventually fished out a small part of the tampon which had broken off and had been inside me. It absolutely bloody stank (I'm heaving thinking about it now) and was a lovely yellow/brown colour. Boak !

Have also inadvertently given myself a brazilian when I put the sanitary towel sticky side up on my pants at bedtime. Our bathroom ceiling still has the outline of my body after I had to be peeled off it having removed the towel along with a large part of my fanjo lips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now