Clothes shopping post 40

(45 Posts)
Gwladgwlad Sat 08-Mar-14 23:08:27

AIBU to ask where you shop post 40? Have a spring wedding coming up but struggling to find anything 'in between' teenager and looking like my mother (although my mother would love it if I did start dressing like her!)

Top shop= too studenty
New look= a bit young
Zara= too bloody small
Boden= makes my skin crawl twee
M&S= my mother
Monsoon= bit frumpy/ my mother
H&m= great but not for a wedding really as clothes can look badly cut
Dotty P= skirts too short
Warehouse= skirts too short!

AIB really fussy but where do you go?

LeaveItItsNotWorthIt Sun 09-Mar-14 01:35:14

Bhs, George at Asda, peacocks, debenhams, Dorothy Perkins, john Lewis?

Oriunda Sun 09-Mar-14 08:27:29

Budget? Last wedding I attended I had a dress from By Malene Birger.

SinglePringle Sun 09-Mar-14 08:31:44

I'm over 40 and shop in:

Zara
Whistles
Gap (basics)
Cos
Massimo Duti
French Connection
ASOS
Reiss
The Outnet
The Dressing Room (online)
Selfridges
Ted Baker
Karen Millen
Mango
Net A Porter
Reiss (sometimes. It's a bit too Kate Middleton for me

Latara Sun 09-Mar-14 08:38:39

Karen Millen do more expensive but very nice dresses suitable for weddings.

WutheringTights Sun 09-Mar-14 08:45:29

Hobbs. Some of their stuff is a bit your mum. But they also do a nice younger range.

MsAspreyDiamonds Sun 09-Mar-14 08:53:52

Reiss
Whistles
East (avoid the floral prints)
www.east.co.uk/mobile/new-season/

If you sre petite then Minuet
www.minuet-petite.co.uk/

NearTheWindymill Sun 09-Mar-14 08:57:15

Short dresses have everything to do with legs and nothing to do with age.

nostress Sun 09-Mar-14 09:01:10

Where did you shop age 39? I shop in river island, new look etc. Same as I did in my 30s..

NearTheWindymill Sun 09-Mar-14 09:04:24

At 39 I was constantly on the floor with two tinies and lived in leggings and nice tops probably from M&S and then started getting a few bits from Debenhams. But I was 39 a very long time ago grin. My wardrobe improved when I got off the floor.

Bodicea Sun 09-Mar-14 09:20:22

Hobbs - the nw3 range is a bit younger
Jaeger- they have a younger range - can't remeber the name
Reiss

primrose22 Sun 09-Mar-14 09:46:03

I am 42 and wear what I want! I hate per una but feel the same about top shop too! I also wear very short skirt skirts/dresses (always with tights!) and hate the 'rule' about long hair and minis being a no no for the over 40's - pah grin

FreudiansSlipper Sun 09-Mar-14 09:50:48

Zara

Oasis often have nice dresses in

Phase eight can be a little per una ish at times

FreudiansSlipper Sun 09-Mar-14 09:53:31

and French Connection

Biba (i think only in House of Fraser) do some really beautiful things. i wore a net flared skirt from h&m with a beautiful beaded top from top a few years ago to a wedding outfit was not expensive and have worn both since

FreudiansSlipper Sun 09-Mar-14 09:54:13

top was from Biba ... (sorry typo)

Anniegoestotown Sun 09-Mar-14 10:02:33

I am in my 50's and walking into. M&S makes me totally wonder what age group they are catering for. Even my MIL who is in her 80's thinks their stuff is frumpy and their per uno range is strange as most clothes seem to be designed for 6ft 2" women. I know there are tall women out there but not that many I am sure.

whatever5 Sun 09-Mar-14 10:05:50

I sometimes get dresses from Damsel in a dress (John Lewis or online) or Coast (John Lewis, House of Fraser).

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 09-Mar-14 11:46:39

I'm 45 and like Apricot. I can always find a dress in there for any occasion and also for everyday wear for about �30. I've never really spent a lot on clothes but always feel that I look nice. I try on about 10 dresses and will maybe buy one. I always shop on my own and know instantly if Im going to wear something or not. If I um and aar then I don't buy it.

Latara Sun 09-Mar-14 11:55:08

Apricot is good I agree. They have concessions in DP and New Look.

Latara Sun 09-Mar-14 12:07:16

I also agree don't follow old-fashioned 'rules'. My colleagues don't.
I have colleagues in their 40s and early 50s who wear their skirts / dresses on or above the knee and look good. Early 40s still wear mini length with black tights.

Which tights to wear to a wedding depends on the weather and style of dress - I like black opaque for mini length or Boots Ultra Sheer 7 denier natural for knee length or below.

Nomama Sun 09-Mar-14 13:00:51

Have you seen the new spring dresses in Sainsbury's? There are a lot of horrors but there are a few with really nice patterns.

I have just bought a couple for £16. With some judicious pinning at the waist they fit well. I have paired them with some more expensive cardis, shrugs and jumpers from Whistle, White Stuff, Phase 8, etc and they look great.

I'd recommend you look at them before you go off and spend a lot of money on a one off frock thing.

Oh, and I am the wrong end of 40!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now