What social networking apps do your DC's use...

(30 Posts)
DumSpiroSpero Sat 08-Mar-14 18:30:38

... and how old are they?

What issues/problems have you encountered with social networking apps as a parent?

I am a parent governor at DDs school, and our recent Ofsted report has flagged up that we do not have adequate provision in place for teaching the children and parents about appropriate use of the internet/social networking/cyber bullying etc.

I'd like to get involved with sorting this out as I deal with social networking at my place of work, but I have no idea what apps older children and teens use beyond the usual FB & Twitter (have heard of Snapchat & Whats App but don't really know anything about them).

Also have a vested interest as DD will be 10 this year so it's probably only a matter of time before she starts showing an interest. She only has a very basic mobile with no camera or internet access but does have an iPad.

Any info/opinions much appreciated,

DumSpiroSpero Sat 08-Mar-14 22:58:43

I think you're right.

We certainly need to look at it in more detail.

TB perfectly honest, I don't entirely agree with them not having mobiles at school either. They are allowed to walk to and from school independently from Year 4 and I know I'd be much happier about allowing my DD to do this if I knew she had the means to call me in the event of a change of plan/emergency.

Loubelles Sun 09-Mar-14 00:18:36

Thinkuknow is a good website to look at and share the videos with children too. It's run by ceop.
Also think about xbox playstation online etc as they are often used to speak to other people many of whom are a lot older than the child. Especially if they are playing age restricted games.

There are a number of game worlds such as moshimonsters too and anybody can sign up to these.

OP if you'd like any further info pm me just don't want to put too much info on here.

Nocomet Sun 09-Mar-14 01:02:15

Also if mobiles are "officially" not allowed that doesn't mean they haven't got one at the bottom of their bags.

DumSpiroSpero Sun 09-Mar-14 08:33:58

Thanks Loubelles.

I guess with gaming that's something that's likely to be very relevant to primary age kids.

I have no interest in that aspect of computer life so will certainly have to do some homework - by BIL is a big online gamer so will have a chat with him and look at the websites you've suggested.

I wonder how many parents actually know how to set up security measures on every gadget they have at home. In our house we have a desktop PC, laptop, iPad, 2 smartphones, 2 different android tablets and a Wii, and although I've dabbled I know we probably don't have the kind of security measures in place that we should have.

At the moment DD doesn't use tech unsupervised but it's only a matter of timeconfused .

DumSpiroSpero Sun 09-Mar-14 08:36:37

Nocomet - also a good point re mobiles.

I'm only just finding my feet as a governor and we've been hit by this less than brilliant Ofsted report which is a bit of baptism of fire tbh!

I need to raise this at our meeting next week and get hold of the relevant policies as I have no idea how they police the 'no mobiles' rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now