to think the driver gets to chose the music?

(50 Posts)
candyapplecore Sat 08-Mar-14 17:27:23

Went out for lunch with two friends. I drove, and one kept making references to the CD I had on.

When we were driving back, again more references but a lot more blunt and said she wanted the radio on instead. I remarked that when she's driving then she can chose the music.

Music was quiet and just background noise as we were talking anyway. This person has never had a driving lesson in her whole life.

Aibu to think its my car, I'm the one paying petrol, taxing and insuring and therefore I get to decide what music is played?

HadABadDay2014 Sat 08-Mar-14 17:28:51

I let passengers decide, after all I don't listen to the music as I am concentrating on driving

mousmous Sat 08-Mar-14 17:29:00

yanbu
same rule here

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 08-Mar-14 17:30:37

I choose the music if I am driving. It's my car and my decision. End of.

Although if friends are in the car we usually turn all music off to chat as we go. And muse on life, and take the p out of the twat that just did something stupid. Etc etc.

BrianTheMole Sat 08-Mar-14 17:31:23

Yanbu

QueenTea33 Sat 08-Mar-14 17:31:37

Same here. My car, my music. Don't like it? Walk grin

flipchart Sat 08-Mar-14 17:32:23

Driver picks the beats.

drnoitall Sat 08-Mar-14 17:33:02

That's abit rude. Not you, your passenger.

Drivers comfort is paramount.

ipswichwitch Sat 08-Mar-14 17:33:19

Driver not only picks the music but also sets the temperature on the blowers. Tis the law. If I'm going to be in charge of driving people about I want to be comfortable and not irritated by someone's shitty taste in music.

kelda Sat 08-Mar-14 17:34:23

I'm always the passenger, and always let the driver choose the music (but not necessarily the volume!)

HairyPorter Sat 08-Mar-14 17:34:25

YANBU. Unfortunately my dc don't agree and can wail over the music loud enough that I give in. They're 3 and 1.5.

steff13 Sat 08-Mar-14 17:35:16

My husband and I quote the TV show Supernatural to each other, "Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole." You are not being unreasonable.

CorusKate Sat 08-Mar-14 17:35:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bedhaven Sat 08-Mar-14 17:35:45

Totally drivers prerogative. YANBU.

candyapplecore Sat 08-Mar-14 17:38:29

Driver not only picks the music but also sets the temperature on the blowers

I wish I could get something where if someone else touched something in my car - temperature, volume, changing station etc then they'd get a little electric shock.

I have a car where you have to put down the seats in front to get out from the back and I get very irrational rage when my friend puts the seat down, climbs out and then doesn't put the seat back up.

Think I need to stop giving lifts grin

candyapplecore Sat 08-Mar-14 17:40:41

Are you all six?

confused

Oh it's just a lighthearted rant. I didn't feel the need to put "lighthearted" in the title because it was pretty obvious and everyone whos commented got that.

But yeah "are you all six?" .... very mature and grown up response.

CorusKate Sat 08-Mar-14 17:42:56

CorusKate Sat 08-Mar-14 17:43:53

nachohousekeeper Sat 08-Mar-14 17:44:19

There's a quote from Supernatural that DH and I use when we are driving.

"Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his pie hole". In fact you can buy a t shirt with it printed ongrin

candyapplecore Sat 08-Mar-14 17:54:32

Er - that was a lighthearted comment in response to a lighthearted post

Yeah of course it was ....

CorusKate Sat 08-Mar-14 17:54:57

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 08-Mar-14 18:13:28

I used to give a couple I know loads of lifts, the constant complaints about my choice of music stopped the lifts.

She then complained that her DH (then BF) was driving to much and couldn't drink.

TBH, She is still extremely judgemental and still complains about everything now.

thesecowsaresmallthosearefaraw Sat 08-Mar-14 18:24:50

YANBU. It is the law.

nooka Sat 08-Mar-14 18:27:39

We usually take it in turns in our family. But when I'm driving I prefer one of the kids to be in charge of the music for two reasons, first because I don't really want to be fiddling around (we use ipods) and secondly because if the children don't like the music they stick their headphones on and then there is no chance of conversation.

If I'm giving a lift I would ask my passenger what they'd like to listen to before sticking my choice of music on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now