To be not too pleased by this comment?

(123 Posts)
MolotovCocktail Sat 08-Mar-14 16:24:46

Just met some new neighbours today. My 5yo dd was very excited and chattering away like mad to them.

"Glad mine isn't the only one with verbal diahorrea."

Wasn't said in a nasty way, but didnt come off jokey, either. I didn't really like the comment. I mean, dd is a chatterbox; she does talk a lot but I prefer to say that as opposed to the verbal diahorrea thing. I would prefer to hear that from perfect strangers, too.

I guess the neighbour could have been nervous and/or it just popped out ...

Anyway, AIBU?

It wouldn't occur to me to be offended by that, I don't think.

StarGazeyPond Sat 08-Mar-14 16:26:24

Yes, YABU. It is only a jokey saying.

Joules68 Sat 08-Mar-14 16:26:25

You can't expect people to speak in the way you personally 'prefer'!! Yabu

NickNacks Sat 08-Mar-14 16:26:47

Or perhaps it's true and just a saying and you're being a bit precious?

EatShitDerek Sat 08-Mar-14 16:26:49

I'd have laughed tbh

adoptmama Sat 08-Mar-14 16:27:09

I think you are over-reacting to a new neighbour trying to make friendly conversation. Most people would take it as a light hearted, jokey comment.

MolotovCocktail Sat 08-Mar-14 16:27:24

I can be oversensitive. That's why I'm checking here smile

RevoltingPeasant Sat 08-Mar-14 16:27:25

Oh probably just something they say about their own DC and it popped out without thinking. I can see why you wouldn't like it, but it was likely not intended to be rude.

shakinstevenslovechild Sat 08-Mar-14 16:27:28

I wouldn't be offended by that, it's just another phrase for chatterbox, not an insult.

Driveway Sat 08-Mar-14 16:27:43

Really... You are being a bit over sensitive.

MolotovCocktail Sat 08-Mar-14 16:27:50

Thanks everyone, I'll forget about it smile

WorraLiberty Sat 08-Mar-14 16:27:51

Blimey I couldn't be offended at that even if I was paid to be

Nocomet Sat 08-Mar-14 16:30:05

YABU I've been guilty of verbal un-spellable-ness all my life.

I'd waste a lot of energy if I was offended when people comment.

Impatientismymiddlename Sat 08-Mar-14 16:30:44

I use the phrase verbal diarrhoea all the time. My youngest one is often overcome by a severe case of it. Fortunately it isn't contagious like other forms of diarrohea grin.

wonderingsoul Sat 08-Mar-14 16:31:34

i wouldnt like it ethier, and im not pfb.. much.. you can gladly tell my children off.

i wouldnt say it.. becasue it is like an insult.. to h er it is important.. theres nicer ways of saying it.
also dont like calling thier children gits or little shit even when you can hear the tone is loving... :/ to me their the same.

that said i wouldnt hold it agasnt them, keep being friendly, maybe they where just keen to be friendly and reached the over familer barrier to soon.

VoyageDeVerity Sat 08-Mar-14 16:37:19

I think it's a rather crude saying and they must be pretty blunt kind of people. But it's not malicious, no.

Both mine are non stop talkers, the older they get the more they talk!

I take it as a compliment as they are confident and polite and are happy to talk the hind legs off a donkey. Much better to be like this than shy and clam up I think grin

diddl Sat 08-Mar-14 16:39:45

I think that it's a horrible phrase tbh.
Sounds more of an insult to me-ie a load of crap is coming out.

If it wasn't meant nastily then that's something, but I'd be wondering how friendly I'd want to be with someone who said that about a child!

Impatientismymiddlename Sat 08-Mar-14 16:40:38

also dont like calling thier children gits or little shit even when you can hear the tone is loving... :/ to me their the same.

It isn't even similar. Verbal diarrhoea is just a way of saying that someone talks a lot of non important nonsense, it's a comment about the persons behaviour. Calling somebody a little shit or a git is a personal insult about the actual person rather than about a specific behavioural trait.
You ARE a little shit
You HAVE verbal diarrhoea.

2 very different things.

midnightagents Sat 08-Mar-14 16:43:21

Teachers always used to say that when i was in primary school in the 90's, it was meant in a lighthearted way. Echo everyone saying dont be offended by it.

BillyBanter Sat 08-Mar-14 16:43:57

I wouldn't take any offence by it.

fideline Sat 08-Mar-14 16:45:55

Yab quite impressively U

I think that you would have to be a bit over sensitive to be offended by it, tbh

mummy1973 Sat 08-Mar-14 17:14:14

I personally don't like that expression (queasy) but yabu as it isn't usually meant to offend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now