To wish DSis would stop riding now?

(25 Posts)
catgirl1976 Sat 08-Mar-14 14:54:17

She is 5 months pg (1st baby)

I know pregnancy is not an illness but she is still competing (only dressage but still) on a young, powerful horse, doing all the loading, box driving etc on her own and goes alone to comps

I'm biting my tongue and I know it's her choice and great she's so active but AIBU to worry? She intends to continue till she can't actually get on and won't stop competing as she needs the scores for something or other

Nomama Sat 08-Mar-14 15:00:00

You've got no chance!

Women I know continue until the bump pushes them out of the saddle.

Mind you, she may have to stop sooner if her bump unbalances the horse!

LessMissAbs Sat 08-Mar-14 15:00:34

Since I'm far safer on horseback than on my own two feet, YABU. I've fallen down the stairs in my house twice and got whiplash, fallen over in the gym changing room and got concussed and tripped and cut my knee falling over kerbs on the pavement. Yes, there is a small risk on a horse but if she is still capable there is no need for her to confine herself as if in Victorian times. Its also None Of Your Business.

Look at this Chinese woman who is marathon running at 8 months (and looks great on it): http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/pregnant-chinese-woman-runs-marathon-3188348

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:04:09

I know its none of my business

I just can't help worrying. Lots of stories from people who 3 day evented till 9 months and were fine will put my mind at ease. a bit. grin

HadABadDay2014 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:04:21

She is fine doing it.

This isn't a new hobby, I bet she is very used to it and if she had any problem with herself or baby I suspect she would stop.

NigellasDealer Sat 08-Mar-14 15:04:38

she will probably hunker down in the haybarn and pop it out in 5 mins, being so fit and all.
seriously though i see your worry, but the baby is well protected and she is only doing dressage.

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:05:42

God the marathon woman looks amazing!

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:07:27

I do think she will pop the baby out like shelling peas...she has muscles of steel from all the riding

Marathon runners don't run the risk of falling from a height (what's the horse? 16.2hh + )

I was thrown and had my hand stepped on by a horse when I was a teenager. It was one of the most scary events of my life. It could've been my face, back, leg

Her Midwife will no doubt advice her.
She'll make her own mind up , you won't influence your DSis at all

She probably intends to carry on, but eventually, her body will tell her to stop.
But if she thinks she's not at risk, she's a fool.

Allergictoironing Sat 08-Mar-14 15:12:54

Lucinda Green (nee Prior-Palmer) actually competed at an international 3-day event when pregnant with her son Freddie, winning an individual medal (sorry, so long ago can't remember whether Europeans, Worlds etc. or what colour medal).

I've known plenty of women who have continued right up to until they couldn't get on the horse without a crane, the first trimester is the time they were told to be careful and after that carry on as long as they wanted smile.

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:14:21

The horse is 16:2 and a powerful warmblood

Lovely nature but young

Catgirl get in the saddle, you might be on Horse Excercising Duty soon. wink

And the driving - there are advisory (but not obligatory) guidelines about driving while pg near due date.

LessMissAbs Sat 08-Mar-14 15:19:09

So did Mary King, when 5 months pregnant, in eventing, and won a medal too, in the Europeans I think.

Heres another marathon lady, didn't know she was pregnant until she gave birth!: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/05/trish-staine-runner-did-not-know-she-was-pregnant_n_3391515.html

OTOH my SIL, who is totally unfit and does no physical activity, slipped and fell on wet leaves on her own garden footpath while pregnant and broke both her wrists - fortunately her baby was fine.

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:22:44

I think I will be too 70 grin

Luckily I can ride badly but i think I might be getting a lot more practice in soon smile

DSis thinks she will be back in her jodphurs galloping around a week after giving birth...

Mind you I wouldn't put it past her...

goodasitgets Sat 08-Mar-14 15:28:14

My friend swears riding flying changes sent her into labour grin
She had a v swift labour (first baby)

brettgirl2 Sat 08-Mar-14 16:00:05

yabu at least she isn't eventing! Dressage is pretty safe if she's a good rider and knows her horse well surely?

Is there no one who would go with her to help with loading?

squirrel996 Sat 08-Mar-14 16:05:57

I was riding 2 weeks after having a baby, I also helped unload a lorry load of hay and straw a week after!
I only rode a few times while pregnant but that was only because I didn't have a suitable horse at the time. I bought a yearling when I was 6 months pregnant!

Joysmum Sat 08-Mar-14 16:08:39

I wasn't riding horses back when I fell pregnant, I did have a motorbike and I never ride it again after I confirmed u was pregnant.

If I had a calm and consistent horse and fell pregnant, I'd probably continue to ride. If I had my current mare who is inconsistent and a bit challenging then I wouldn't ride her.

At the end of the day it's a risk, as everything in life is, and as long as the parents are ok then that's all that matters.

catgirl1976 Sat 08-Mar-14 16:10:38

I feel a bit more reassured smile

JosieMcDozie Sat 08-Mar-14 16:28:51

I was lugging bales of hay about whilst in labour with first and am over 8 months and whilst not riding am still lifting bales of shavings, feed etc. I think if you're used to doing it, it's not a problem. Can't wait to get back on board! Horse is enjoying being a field ornament and will no doubt be disgruntled about having to do some work again!

MrsBW Sat 08-Mar-14 18:06:56

I was thrown and had my hand stepped on by a horse when I was a teenager. It was one of the most scary events of my life. It could've been my face, back, leg

Just once? I was thrown loads when riding and had a horse fall over temporarily crushing my leg under it. Another time I fell at a gallop and had other horses jumping over me to avoid me. I've also been squished in stables and stepped on.

OP - yes, riding can be dangerous. But the risk is somewhat reduced if you're an experienced rider. Dressage is lower risk.

There's danger in driving cars, walking on pavements and doing almost anything these days. It's about weighing up risk vs benefit.

Your DSis has decided her enjoyment of her sport outweighs the risks.

Try not to worry - although it's lovely that you do thanks

carabos Sat 08-Mar-14 18:20:34

I stopped riding at 6 months with DS2 but only to appease DH (who is a professional horseman). Your sis will know when it's time to stop.

firstbaby01 Sat 08-Mar-14 18:26:56

Yanbu. I have three horses aged 7,4, and 8 months and have temporarily given up riding since the day I found out I was PG. its horrible not being able to ride but there's still plenty of other things to do with them! I personally did not want to take a risk as any horse can get spooked and it only takes one fall to harm the baby and I would never forgive myself if that happened sad I found a lovely loaner who comes and rides 2-4 times a week and helps out with yard duties but I still go up every day to spend time with them.

pointythings Sat 08-Mar-14 18:44:44

I'm a fencer, not a rider - I stopped fencing bouts at 16 weeks because potentially being hit in the abdomen with 3 feet of steel isn't a good idea.

I did however carry on doing footwork, bladework and fitness work until 34 weeks. And I was back on the piste 10 days post partum. Your Dsis knows her horse, trust her to act in her own and her baby's best interest.

Nottalotta Sat 08-Mar-14 19:16:47

Yanbu to be worried but I am sure your Dsis doesn't feel she is taking any more of a risk than normal. I am currently ttc my first. I have 3 horses, two are old. One of the oldies is totally retired but if he were 10 yrs younger, i would have no qualms about riding him for as long as i could if i was pregnant. The other oldie i WILL ride when pregnant, but occasioally and gently as she is semi retired.

My 'main' riding horse is an idiot. Hes 13 but still an idiot. I am very careful with what I do with him, and never take risks but will probably not ride him at all when pregnant. He worries me as it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now