To think there is a high percentage of educated & / or middle class parents on MN compared to the other parenting site?

(248 Posts)
NNDS Sat 08-Mar-14 14:34:19

I have been on both sites. If I want intellectual debate this is the site to visit. If you want to know about benefits or things happening locally such as children's activities etc. then the other parenting site is the place to go.

Also if you mention things like private schooling on the other site you might as well stand in the town centre and announce that you are a snob. There is also a lot of 'my husband is a doctor', 'my husband is blah blah blah' type of posts which leave me thinking 'what about your own achievements?' That said though, a lot of people there can be very supportive etc.

I don't even know why I'm posting this, boredom I guess?

NNDS Sat 08-Mar-14 14:35:04

You ABU

EatShitDerek Sat 08-Mar-14 14:36:04

No idea. I don't fit into that though

Quinteszilla Sat 08-Mar-14 14:36:42

You clearly need to join more forums so you have more to compare, and more to ponder.

I know a lot about benefits. Should I defect?

WorraLiberty Sat 08-Mar-14 14:37:46

If you mean Netmums, I don't know.

I've never been on it.

theywillgrowup Sat 08-Mar-14 14:38:16

yep i agree

im always slack jawd at the threads on nanny's,cleaners,general lifestyle etc

love it though but often feel i live a differrent life

ForgetMeKnots Sat 08-Mar-14 14:38:38

You ABU - talking to yourself there or did you forget to name change?!

Bored? Go read a book or bake a pie or find a nice bridge to look at.

Never been over to the other side but I don't fit into that either.

<sits next to Eat on weirdo bench>

WorraLiberty Sat 08-Mar-14 14:39:33

And I give the same priority to everyone on the internet, whether they claim to be a Doctor/Lawyer/Head Teacher etc

Because anyone can claim to be anyone on the internet.

WorraLiberty Sat 08-Mar-14 14:40:09

I wondered if the OP forgot to name change too blush

Fairenuff Sat 08-Mar-14 14:43:32

Why did you tell yourself YABU? grin

EatShitDerek Sat 08-Mar-14 14:45:04

Think they wanted to kick start the thread grin

I am actually Obama but I prefer to keep that a secret. Well its out now

lljkk Sat 08-Mar-14 14:48:15

Not actually headline news, OP.

MyBodyIsAtemplate Sat 08-Mar-14 14:51:26

er who cares?

MoreBeta Sat 08-Mar-14 14:51:50

MNHQ did a survey a few years ago as I recall. I think they said something along those lines that the demographic was markedly South East England and white collar middle class.

Finola1step Sat 08-Mar-14 14:52:03

I have visited the other side a couple of times.

My take was that the average age of mumsnetters is probably a bit older than on netmums. Which perhaps brings a wider range of experiences and opinions.

The tickers and countdowns on the other site are all a bit frou frou for me.

NNDS Sat 08-Mar-14 14:52:04

Ha ha was trying to figure out how to name change. Didn't realise I was on this thread while I was doing it!

Not that I think there is something wrong about the perceived differences. Just making conversation I guess.

Theywillgrowup- that's another thing too. On here I see a lot of people mentioning their cleaners/nannies etc. whereas the other site it would be people looking for those positions. Nothing wrong with that either

Worra, yes I don't think less of anyone doing a lower paid/ lesser skilled job etc. People are more than their jobs/ careers. I would never judge anyone based on what job they do as long as it's legal.

FloozeyLoozey Sat 08-Mar-14 14:52:30

I don't enjoy the alignment of class with intelligence. Being working class doesn't preclude you from being self educated and taking part in intelligent debates.

RandomInternetStranger Sat 08-Mar-14 14:53:13

The other site is not for me. No one is allowed to say anything negative so if a 17 year old comes on saying "I've lost 3 kids to social services but I really want another with my jail bird BF I've known 2 months what do you think?" no one is allowed to say "you stupid little slut get steralized immediately" without getting banned. hmm Also sick of the "Chardonnay 'as gone rite of 'er fizzy pop, she's only 'ad 2 bottles todai an she's 4 munfs ald." posts. confused

I have loads of topics hidden. I know there are discussions about cleaners/nannies, posh sounding private schools v other posh sounding private schools, expensive clothing etc, but I don't seem to see them.

So I guess I have tailored the site to meet my requirements.

complexnumber Sat 08-Mar-14 14:57:10

Because anyone can claim to be anyone on the internet.

If only everyone remembered that every time they hit the 'enter' button (including me)

HomeMakerForGood Sat 08-Mar-14 14:57:22

I think it is good to acknowledge that some women have traditional roles and like that. I keep house for my husband, he works.

NNDS Sat 08-Mar-14 14:57:53

Well I care enough to start a thread about it!

Lljkk- I wasn't aware only thread regarding headline news were allowed on here. Any other rules I should know about?

Cuxibamba Sat 08-Mar-14 14:58:37

I agree. Also, a lot of what people say are middle class, I see as upper class on here confused I think NM can be better for some things, and even if I probably don't fit with the average, I still prefer MN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now