to think I do not deserve this...

(63 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 21:53:19

Death tthreats at work that is. li am a teacher. Ok..I do find a crowd of teens hard to control. Does this mesn I deserve abuse? I am great st my subject. High hraded. Shit at politics. So long teaching..im bored of being told im shit

Thumbwitch Sat 08-Mar-14 03:50:19

Hiddenhome - some parents actually encourage their children in their shitty behaviour, telling them that they are more important than some teacher (who, in their eyes, wouldn't be in teaching if they were actually any good at anything).

It can be a soul-destroying situation to deal with and I, for one, wouldn't undertake it for 3x the money they pay. More! I taught at University level, vocational students who wanted to be there, and that was great - any sort of attempting to teach students who don't want to be there, or who feel they are somehow superior, is something I wouldn't and couldn't do.

Superstar - they have lost a valuable teacher, by the sound of it - and if you are high enough up in your field, move to tertiary education if you can. Even 6th form college is better than secondary school.
I do hope you reported the death threats to the police though - you really should have, and still should in fact - might bring it home to the little darlings that they can't just say what they like to whomever, however much money Daddy and Mummy have.

Thumbwitch Sat 08-Mar-14 03:51:29

Ah sorry, just remembered as I pressed post that you HAVE reported it to the police and got an utterly shitly dismissive response. Write to the police complaints dept about the shit response as well.

If you have been bullied at all 4 schools you have been at, you need to look at a different age range or type of teaching. I frequently teach youth financial literacy and manage to do it with very challenging youth. I won't give the classes to the other facilitators because, frankly, they would be eaten alive. Helps that I was a shit, bored, cheeky, arrogant, intelligent teen. I know what to look for.

Find something to do that you are good at. Not just facets of it.

superstarheartbreaker Sat 08-Mar-14 04:23:31

No I didn't report to police but did report to slt. Shitty response.

superstarheartbreaker Sat 08-Mar-14 04:24:41

In past schools I have been bullied by staff rather than students. Many of my classes said how much they liked me and were sad to see me leave.

superstarheartbreaker Sat 08-Mar-14 04:25:44

I won't report to police... Never goes down well.

Thumbwitch Sat 08-Mar-14 04:36:12

Ah no, you really should report it to the police - why on earth would you let the little gits get away with it?! It might not "go down well" but you're giving them completely the wrong message by bowing down to it and bowing out. You are completely within your rights to leave, I don't have a problem with that - but since you ARE leaving, why not report them? They won't be able to get to you since you won't be working there any more, and any cyber-stalking/bullying that might occurs would be another criminal offence so they'd be stupid to attempt it.

These young soon-to-be-adults really need to learn about consequences of their unthinking stupid actions/deeds/words - let it be your last lesson to them, please.

superstarheartbreaker Sat 08-Mar-14 05:36:30

Thing is when doing supply the head wanted to hire me as I had a very challenging class eat out of my hands. But I chose the other place.

Eebahgum Sat 08-Mar-14 05:56:19

You're not alone in considering a career change. Many teachers in state sector are looking to leave too. Well done for being brave enough to hand your notice in. We deserve to be in jobs that make us happy, or at the very least don't make us miserable.

WanderingAway Sat 08-Mar-14 06:16:23

I really think that it is a bad idea to post when drunk.

The whole situation sounds shit but i just wanted to say that if you leave a job you cant get unemployment benefits from anything from 13 weeks to 3 years.

lastnightIwenttoManderley Sat 08-Mar-14 06:20:13

OP - did you do a PGCE or go straight in to teaching?

It's a bloody hard gig - dh teaches and I do the occasional lesson alongside my main job. Dh O's leaving his current school as the head is completely ineffectual and, recognising that the patents are his income stream, panders to them. Result is that the staff ate totally unsupported by the SMT who have even been known to override disciplinary procedures as parents think little Johnny can do no wrong...

Boys are generally good, but the lack f consistency has just become too much for dh.

Do you think.it's a specific school issue or that traching may not be the right route for you?

Pippintea Sat 08-Mar-14 06:45:15

OP YANBU. I have seen this happen. Some schools don't deal with the entitled ones, the chair throwers, the loud agressive dominant bullies. In some schools teachers are expected to contain these students without support.
I would love the parents to see how their DC behave in school. Some would be shocked but my guess is that many would laugh along because their DC are a product of them.

superstarheartbreaker Sat 08-Mar-14 07:38:58

Wandering...that's why I'm looking for a new job. I'd rather stack shelves. The whole thing has made me feel like shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now