to think I do not deserve this...

(63 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 21:53:19

Death tthreats at work that is. li am a teacher. Ok..I do find a crowd of teens hard to control. Does this mesn I deserve abuse? I am great st my subject. High hraded. Shit at politics. So long teaching..im bored of being told im shit

hiddenhome Fri 07-Mar-14 22:27:16

You're planning to give up teaching?

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 22:32:41

Yes. Its shit. Noone is interested anyway. Not when thsy have you tube and face book.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 22:34:25

And nowadays if you give detentions then ijt is because you are shite.

hiddenhome Fri 07-Mar-14 22:36:05

Are you allowed to speak to their parents? If I was spending all that money on a private education for my little chick I'd want to make sure he/she was working hard because I'd expect a return in the form of a decent degree from a decent university.

Forgettable Fri 07-Mar-14 22:36:26

Oh man that sucks big ones

Fuck em all

What will you do for employment now?

hiddenhome Fri 07-Mar-14 22:38:16

I'd phone their parents. They'll get stick of them for sure.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 22:41:19

You know what...I dont even care about emplyment for noe. Im a realky intelligent hunan being with great grades and lotts of talents.. or if all else fails then I get benefits.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 22:42:18

Spelling when drunk isnt a talent of mine.

hiddenhome Fri 07-Mar-14 22:42:47

Couldn't you do some extra studying and alter your career path? Will you get unemployment benefit if you give your job up? Don't make any rash decisions, think things through.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 22:44:31

You see in a lot of privaye school parents eyes, their precious child couldnt possibly do wrong. WHATEVER!

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 22:45:03

Ibe

They're making you do silent exam questions then telling you you're not entertaining enough? I'd be fucking off out of there too (and I did fuck off, 2 years ago. I teach lovely adults now).

A colleague of mine was told by a feral teenager that he hoped her unborn baby died. Nothing happened. We heard a group of 12 year old girls in English class discussing how they were going to allege that their Tech teacher had hit one of them to get her sacked. Very little happened. One of my students drew a massive swastika with an arrow pointing to me and held it up at the front of the class. When I referred him to the pastoral team I was told I'd overreacted and it should have been a quiet word at the end of the lesson. I could carry on but I don't have to deal with that shit any more.

I was a good teacher. I could control classes. I cared about my students. I couldn't control the chair-throwers and I'm glad I don't have to try any more.

hiddenhome Fri 07-Mar-14 22:47:19

No discipline in the home. Parents are scared of upsetting their little chicks in case those chicks turn against 'em. It's bollocks. Parenting is a social responsibility, not a sentimental pastime.

Tiredtomybones Fri 07-Mar-14 22:47:54

I gave up teaching last year. It had become an absolute nightmare. I found out I was pregnant just after I handed my notice in so haven't even tried to find another job. Teaching is not the job it was when I started in 2000. Good luck with finding something else. No one deserves to be threatened at work, or any other time.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 22:48:02

Sorry. Have already given in my notice. Hate it sonmuch.

Oh and OP, in case you're an English teacher: be bloody, bold and resolute. You're better than this.

hiddenhome Fri 07-Mar-14 22:49:00

Well, it's best you're out of that school then. Onwards and upwards.

What are you going to do?

YellowTulips Fri 07-Mar-14 22:55:35

Leave and do something else.

You sound as if you are highly qualified. Use those skills and training in another profession.

It's not working out for you. Life's too short to spend on a career that isn't working out.

Teaching isn't just about qualifications. It's about being able to engage the toughest, most unsympathetic audience in the worst on topics dictated by someone else. It's a tough gig and I am in awe of people who can do this.

The teachers on Educating Yorkshire made me cry. The effort, dedication, skill and compassion to their pupils was inspirational. It's a true vocation.

It sounds like you no longer feel that. So do something else and put your skills to use doing something you love. thanks

hiddenhome Fri 07-Mar-14 23:03:05

Kids in this country should value education, not demand to be 'entertained' sad They should also have respect for others.

Maryz Fri 07-Mar-14 23:04:27

Some parents will support you. We aren't all blinded by our children's wonderfulness, some of us realise our children can sometimes be little shits.

ds spent three hours recently scraping chewing gum off desks as a punishment for lateness.

Some people may think it was harsh, but I thought it was great. He was persistently late, and then "forgot" to turn up for a detention. So got another long, unpleasant one.

To be fair to him, though, he accepted it happily. And was quite cheerful about taking his punishment on the chin.

Your problem may not be the children, it may be the school. So if you are sure you aren't a shite teacher (and if you are, look to retrain), then change schools to one that will support you.

And ffs, when you wake up (and sober up) get the thread deleted smile

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Mar-14 23:05:23

Its a shame as I love my subject A* gcse, 2.1 degree. Love teens etc, etc. What am I doing wronv then? Hate being blamed for bad behaviour when management tie my hands.

indigo18 Fri 07-Mar-14 23:08:48

You have my sympathy; know how it works. Put in detention - makes you look weak for not 'engaging' them in lesson. F**k that. some have no intention of being engaged. Ever. Write them a bad report? Other staff give a good or average report for a quiet life. Makes you look bad again for not getting the best out of them. Meanwhile they snigger, made snide remarks, interrupt, challenge and challenge again. Like to see Gove doing it...

Maryz Fri 07-Mar-14 23:09:16

If your lessons are boring, change them.

If the school won't let you change them, then you need to move school.

Handing in your notice is probably a good idea, try another school before you give up teaching though. And wherever you try, remember the first few weeks will be awful while they challenge you, but then if you are a good teacher and if you are allowed to teach, it will get better.

ChampagneTastes Fri 07-Mar-14 23:11:19

Sounds like a horribly unsupportive environment. Have you considered a state school? What subject do you teach? Are you relatively new to the profession? May be able to offer advice if you want it. Feel free to PM me.

superstarheartbreaker Sat 08-Mar-14 03:40:30

I have bullied now in all 4 schools I have worked at so not going back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now