To think that a child deserves the same respect as an adult when queuing?

(49 Posts)
shallweshop Fri 07-Mar-14 20:48:31

I took DS to McDonalds for lunch after his hospital appointment today. He wanted to get his own ketchup from the dispenser so I watched him queue up politely behind a mum who was helping her child get some ketchup. As the woman before him finished, he stepped forward for his turn and this bloke just leaned right over in front of him to get the ketchup. It just made me a bit cross - you wouldn't do that if it was another adult in the queue before you - why to a child?

Queue jumpers bring the red mist for me. Even if it's not me they're pushing in front of!

shallweshop Sat 08-Mar-14 22:02:49

What is wrong with people? It's quite sad when you realise that it really is a case of survival of the fittest, fastest, strongest,tallest sad.

HadABadDay2014 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:19:55

Drives me insane , thankfully DS has social problems so will tell them. I alway watch him while he pays and some women had the cheek to say sort your kid out

I told her he wasn't rude, it was his turn and she shouldn't have tried to push infront of him and it was you that was rude.

squirrel996 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:02:35

my dd was in a queue to get me a bottle of water in a theatre. Loads of people pushed in front of her and when I'd had enough and went and stood next to her and asked for some water a woman got all offended that she was there before me. I turned round and said my daughter has been waiting here for ages with adults pushing in front of her and she was here before you!

winterhat Sat 08-Mar-14 14:40:13

YANBU

Ooh and , and I've just remembered one ragey inducing incident angry

School Sports Day. Morning was Yr 3-4 afternoon Yr5-6
At lunchtime, there was an ice-cream van, serving till 13-10 because all the DC had to be back in class by 13.20 for the afternoon Sports to start.

One ice-cream van
One person serving and taking money confused
So the 'queue' became about 12 people wide as more surged in from the sides.
And when someone got to the front, they'd be taking orders for their friends (who weren't queuing but suddenly appeared)

I queued 35 minutes but got nowhere near the front sad

I did write to the school to suggest that they either have a barrier set up or maybe ask the ice-cream van to have more people processing the sales etc.

We didn't have the van the next years so I don't think I was the only one who was hacked off.

Probably would've been alot more civilised if it was just the school children not the parents queuing.

Driveway Sat 08-Mar-14 14:30:14

I can remember this happening to me as a child and it left me feeling very helpless and frustrated.
I would always say something on behalf of children but I don't understand why people push in, why they do it! Perhaps because really they'd like to all the time but they know they won't get punched in the face by a seven year old for being such a rude cock, with an adult that's always a chance you take.

Petrol stations are notorious for this. You'll be in a queue and someone walks over, throws their £20 note down "Pump 7" and walks out.
There's a fecking queue here " shock

pointythings Sat 08-Mar-14 14:03:37

I hate it when adults do this and if I'm in the queue behind the child I will always say something along the lines of 'excuse me, it's that girl/boy's turn to be served'.

Kudos to your corner shop lady, MrsLoada!

shallweshop Sat 08-Mar-14 13:46:05

Mrsloada - that's really nice to hear smile. What a lovely lady.

MrsLoada Sat 08-Mar-14 13:07:09

Only this morning I was 4th in the que at the cornered shop , one person getting served , then a 7 ish year old child , older man then me. The child stepped up to the counter handed over some sweets then started to count out the money was 5p 10p 20p pieces. While the child was counting the man tried to hand the paper over the child's head and said as this looks like it's going to take a while can you do my paper first . Was just about to say something when the lady serving I'm busy with a customer you'll have to wait and I will take as long as needed. Then she bend over the counter so she was at the childs level and helped them work out the money giving a little maths lesson as she did. Was only a few minutes of time to wait but it meant the world to the child . Was great to see them leave the shop proud they did it all by themselves.

shallweshop Sat 08-Mar-14 13:00:13

Thanks all.
Dammit - I know some kids muck about but DS wasn't and the queue jumper didn't even give him chance to show that he was being sensible (he is 7 by the way).
When I saw what happened I did immediately go over and say in a loud voice to DS 'are you ok there getting your ketchup?' whilst giving queue jumper a filthy look.

domoarigato Sat 08-Mar-14 10:52:50

I would have gone up and said something.

IDugUpADiamond Sat 08-Mar-14 10:48:28

Some people don't consider children to be actually human beings with rights, feelings, etc. YANBU.

BudsBeginingSpringinSight Sat 08-Mar-14 10:43:34

YANBU the amount of times with children and adults my DD is waiting patiently in the queue and is totally ignored and over looked, it makes a mockery of me making her wait, another one, is her opening the door for me to go through with push chair then she wil hold it for the person behind me, then everyone flooods through ignoring her and dont even say thank you.

dammitsue Sat 08-Mar-14 10:07:04

Tbf though op, some kids see the sauce dispensers as a fun game and I've often hovered behind a kid filling umpteen pots to then be called by his parents, abandoning the pots as they are leaving!

And...its always kids who run past the queueing adults on waterslides as well.

Nomama Sat 08-Mar-14 09:00:59

I was in BKing years ago when a bloke with small children sort of rushed the ill formed queue and pushed his children in front of a buggy to make it to a till.

Lots of people looked and I said, how rude. He looked at me and said something about it being first come first served, and I pointed to the other people who had stepped back for the obviously pregnant lady with the pram. He asked the server for his opinion but he, apparently, just serves whoever stands in front of him.

The bloke looks at me triumphantly. And I am afraid I lost it a bit. I told him that if he was happy to teach his kids that pushing and shoving their way to the front in order to save themselves a minute or two and sod the rest of the world, pregnant women, old people, disabled people, then he shouldn't be surprised when they grew up to be rude entitled adults, rather like himself!

Sadly he had the last word "Your welcome to your opinion, but we have our food first" accompanied by a big grin. His wife looked mortified though.

There are pushy idiots all over the place and they usually feel perfectly entitled to act as they do - being so important and all!

Damnautocorrect Sat 08-Mar-14 09:00:38

We had this at wembley, went to see cbeebies live woman was telling off person behind. Knocked ds's drink over and her chest was just in his face. He spent the first half crying.
It's rude and disrespectful. People will only respect people when shown it themselves.

OhMerGerd Sat 08-Mar-14 08:53:26

YANBU ...And theses queue jumpers will no doubt be the first on an MN thread hoiking their bosoms, shaking their heads with that chewing a wasp face saying that young people today are so rude, cheeky, lazy etc.

They set such a poor example is it any wonder the children they come into contact with are so poorly behaved?

Soditall Sat 08-Mar-14 08:52:10

I've seen this so many times.If I'm in a queue and someone goes to push in front of a child I always put the adult straight even if I don't know the child.

How are children supposed to learn how to respect others if they're always being disrespected by so called adults.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sat 08-Mar-14 08:48:54

YANBU My DD has experienced this! And also she has queued very nicely in places for the people behind the counter to then not ask her what it is she would like. They just ignore her!

wonderingsoul Sat 08-Mar-14 08:46:58

i hate this to.
i was h elping out at ds1 team in the kitchien serving hot drinks n buttys. they qued up, the child was at the front and the number of people trying to order abov him was horrid.

so i bent down and took his order.. ignoring the others...
youd think id have slapped them in the face.

ExcuseTypos Sat 08-Mar-14 08:44:42

He was obviously an arrogant wanker who thought he was far too important to wait behind a child.

NewtRipley Sat 08-Mar-14 08:42:40

Wandering

Me too. I'll be the one honking loudly "Excuse me, I was here first".

Never let the fuckers get away with it!

WanderingAway Sat 08-Mar-14 08:39:12

How fucking rude.

I am known amongst my family and friends for my hate of queue jumpers. Doesn't make a difference if they are a child or an adult. If you hear 'excuse me there's a queue' it will probably be me. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now