to think the cost of taking a baby swimming for 10/15 min is a rip off

(105 Posts)
arthurbaby Fri 07-Mar-14 20:44:34

We took our baby DD to the swimming pool for her first time this week and she loved it. But it cost £8.40 for two adults and a baby. We were only in the pool 15 minutes and would love to go every week but simply cannot bare to pay so much. I have researched discount cards/active cards etc. We were the only people in the baby pool. Am I being unreasonable to think if they charged less they would get more customers and in the long run make more money? But also raise a healthier generation of children?

insancerre Sat 08-Mar-14 13:33:31

if you can't afford to go every week then go every other week or every month
there are los of things I couldn't afford to do with my kids when they were little
I didn't expect the government to subsidise me

kungfupannda Sat 08-Mar-14 13:27:16

YABU

Our local swimming pools are always busy. Out of school hours you nearly always have to wait to get in, unless you go very early. All those people are quite willing to pay the full price, so why would they take up a place with people who are only paying a small amount?

£8.40 for 2 adults and a baby is perfectly reasonable. It is up to you how long you spend in the pool for that price. You could take the baby in for 15 minutes and then one of you stay in for longer - or you could take it in turns.

Swimming isn't vital for tiny babies - it's a nice thing to do, but there are plenty of nice activities for families to do. The government/local authority can't be expected to subsidise everything people want to do, just because they've got a baby.

GarthsUncle Sat 08-Mar-14 13:12:26

Donna, some pools do that but a lot will be used by local schools for swimming lessons.

DonnaDishwater Sat 08-Mar-14 12:25:15

Maybe pools could set aside 30 minutes in the morning for parents and babies to go in, a cheaper price but you have to be out by the end of the 30 minutes for when regular swimming starts.

Catsize Sat 08-Mar-14 11:08:18

This makes baby swimming lessons with Water Babies, Puddleducks etc much better value. Nice pools, and one parent can watch whilst the other swims.

Coconutty Sat 08-Mar-14 09:22:40

I know, I honestly thought it was free like museums are. The staff never challenged me, ever or I would have realised. I think now that they must have thought I was taking the DCs to pre booked lessons.

My friend was shock and I was blush

TinkerbellTrains Sat 08-Mar-14 08:56:22

And when I say "baby pool" it's actually quite big and quite deep. My 3yr old can only just stand up in it at the shallower end. The kids love it.

Such a shame the UK can't work it the same way.

TinkerbellTrains Sat 08-Mar-14 08:54:10

I agree it's too expensive to swim in the UK. I hardly ever took the dc because of the cost.

Here in NZ it cost me $1 (50p roughly) to take 2 under 5's swimming in a special baby pool that's heated up really well.

All under 16's are free to swim. Any parent accompanying a child under 5 years gets in for $1

Why can't they do that in the UK? The pools are always full of children here in the evenings and weekends.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 08-Mar-14 08:46:44

Coconutty - did you really do that? How could you not expect to pay? Also can't believe staff never challenged you...

splasheeny Sat 08-Mar-14 08:23:18

If you want to go all the time why not get gym membership which has a pool? It would work out cheaper overall.

Also you can get wetsuits for babies (konfidence) and they will help baby be able to swim for longer.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Mar-14 08:14:58

My dc (5 and 2) love swimming. I've also joined a (private) gym which costs £40/month for going as much as we want. We go about once a week - although 4 times in half term! Much warmer and less busy than council pool too. Occasionally I also use the gym. It is our family luxury, and well worth it. They also let me take both dc swimming by myself which is brilliant as council pool didn't and DH can't swim.

Dishaster Sat 08-Mar-14 08:01:34

All I can say is it does and doesn't get better. We all paid more to take our babies swimming, like yours mine got cold after a short time. We took them one adult to one child. When we only had one kid we both went but one of us was a spectator and therefore free to sit at the side and help with drying. Now we have two kids who aren't old enough yet and still need one adult to one child (6 months to go). We don't swim that often because it cost £18 for us all.

So yes it gets better because they can dry themselves but the prices get more and more expensive.

Either one of you go in the he pool and the other help dry or just wait until your baby is older and can stay in longer. We rarely swim as a family and much prefer walks, bike rides etc. Something we actually all enjoy. I don't buy into the ethos that family time is all about the kids. That would be kid time. Family time is finding something we all enjoy doing, together.

missymarmite Sat 08-Mar-14 07:47:51

This is why I rarely take myself or the kids to any activities especially the sports centre. Yanbu to feel it's a lot if money, it is! YABU yo expect any sympathy. Some people live in a different world where £8 is small change!

I wait for a nice day and take the kids to the local beach in the summer, that's free!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 08-Mar-14 07:47:42

Why don't you sign up to z local council gym ir at least one of you. I pay £40 per month and we have unlimotrd pool access. Well, when there is no classes.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 08-Mar-14 07:43:55

Don't take your babies to cold water pools confused

CSIJanner Sat 08-Mar-14 07:30:41

I've taken both of mine swimming from birth. It started at £8.50 - its now 13.50 for the 30 minutes. Another post saying you need invest in a neoprene wrap wetsuit (a cople of £2 from eBay) and start arguing your cause with the swimming pool.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Mar-14 07:23:37

Maybe the pool was quiet because it was the middle of the day on as week day? Maybe it was programmed downtime? If you were only there for a short time you may have been there in the break between sessions? Every pool I know has a very full programme of length swim/aquafit/school lessons/private lessons/ lifeguard training etc. The "schools" slot is occasionally unfilled for a week or two and sometimes lessons are postponed if a swim teacher is ill.

Cabrinha Fri 07-Mar-14 23:05:48

Another vote for baby wetsuit - often sell for bobbins on ebay, second hand.
I know all babies are different but at 5 weeks my baby was still warm after an hour. They're brilliant!

GarthsUncle Fri 07-Mar-14 22:38:05

Was this a special baby session or just general? Special sessions are generally less.

Is there any kind of membership or discount card available that could reduce the price?

pixiepotter Fri 07-Mar-14 22:34:04

How big is your baby? I took all mine swimming at about 9lbs weight and stayed in much longer
maybe you need to find a warmer pool?

Coconutty Fri 07-Mar-14 22:29:31

When my DCs were little I thought it was free to take them swimming, like the museums. We went every week for years. We used to wave a cheery hello to the staff and then walk in.

It wasn't until DS1 was about 6 and we went with my friend and her DCs that I saw her paying and asked her what she was buying.

Sharaluck Fri 07-Mar-14 22:28:59

I don't think it is too expensive.

Pools have a lot of overheads to pay for. Heating, pool cleaning and maintenance etc. More than soft play and other baby/toddler activities and classes.

You were very unusual in only being there for 15 mins, most pool users would be there for an hour.

I would wait until baby is older. Or if you want your money worth, do what has been suggested and take turns swimming with your dh.

BarbarianMum Fri 07-Mar-14 22:24:26

<<Just a question, genuine one. All the people saying up dont have to take a baby swimming and todo something else what else do you suggest? >>

Dear God, anything! Chill out in a cafe, go for a walk in the park, visit a museum, take it to IKEA and by a rug.

Tiny babies participate just by being with you, being held and being spoken to. Never again will they be so small, portable and willing to do what you want. Make the most of it - you've got the next 20 years to do tailor your life round their needs, wants, desires, activities and friends.

Wingdingdong Fri 07-Mar-14 22:20:13

How old's your baby? We've had both DC in the pool for an hr plus since they’d had their 8w jabs. We used to manage it that one of us would go earlier, have a swim, then the other would join with the DC and we'd have 'family time', then we'd get out, the parent who'd not swim would help change to the point that the other could take over and then get back in the pool and swim properly. We used to be there a good couple of hours at least.

If the baby's cold, you need to find a warmer pool, or buy a neoprene wetsuit. My DS is now 2, still wears a wetsuit for adult pools but spends 2-3hrs at a time in the pool without getting cold.

I don't think you can complain about the cost. They charged you £3-something per adult. That's about 30p more than the coffee in our local leisure centre! Up to you how you use the time...

arthurbaby Fri 07-Mar-14 22:19:31

But is the price not the reason they are facing closure? As I stated we were the only people there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now