to think the cost of taking a baby swimming for 10/15 min is a rip off

(105 Posts)
arthurbaby Fri 07-Mar-14 20:44:34

We took our baby DD to the swimming pool for her first time this week and she loved it. But it cost £8.40 for two adults and a baby. We were only in the pool 15 minutes and would love to go every week but simply cannot bare to pay so much. I have researched discount cards/active cards etc. We were the only people in the baby pool. Am I being unreasonable to think if they charged less they would get more customers and in the long run make more money? But also raise a healthier generation of children?

Catsize Sat 08-Mar-14 11:08:18

This makes baby swimming lessons with Water Babies, Puddleducks etc much better value. Nice pools, and one parent can watch whilst the other swims.

DonnaDishwater Sat 08-Mar-14 12:25:15

Maybe pools could set aside 30 minutes in the morning for parents and babies to go in, a cheaper price but you have to be out by the end of the 30 minutes for when regular swimming starts.

GarthsUncle Sat 08-Mar-14 13:12:26

Donna, some pools do that but a lot will be used by local schools for swimming lessons.

kungfupannda Sat 08-Mar-14 13:27:16

YABU

Our local swimming pools are always busy. Out of school hours you nearly always have to wait to get in, unless you go very early. All those people are quite willing to pay the full price, so why would they take up a place with people who are only paying a small amount?

£8.40 for 2 adults and a baby is perfectly reasonable. It is up to you how long you spend in the pool for that price. You could take the baby in for 15 minutes and then one of you stay in for longer - or you could take it in turns.

Swimming isn't vital for tiny babies - it's a nice thing to do, but there are plenty of nice activities for families to do. The government/local authority can't be expected to subsidise everything people want to do, just because they've got a baby.

insancerre Sat 08-Mar-14 13:33:31

if you can't afford to go every week then go every other week or every month
there are los of things I couldn't afford to do with my kids when they were little
I didn't expect the government to subsidise me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now