to think the cost of taking a baby swimming for 10/15 min is a rip off

(105 Posts)
arthurbaby Fri 07-Mar-14 20:44:34

We took our baby DD to the swimming pool for her first time this week and she loved it. But it cost £8.40 for two adults and a baby. We were only in the pool 15 minutes and would love to go every week but simply cannot bare to pay so much. I have researched discount cards/active cards etc. We were the only people in the baby pool. Am I being unreasonable to think if they charged less they would get more customers and in the long run make more money? But also raise a healthier generation of children?

bella411 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:14:16

Sorry dont agree redsky, the time is irrelevant for a family activity its more the enjoyment of the child, which in this case makes it a family experience.

Also its a hell of a lot easier 2 of you being in the changing room getting child changed and then entertained whilst the other one gets dry, which at my local pool you can go to the changing rooms if you are swimming.

Amissbyanyothername Fri 07-Mar-14 21:14:31

RE- mynameiskenadams.

Someone has a very general view of life. A small reduction on something which (in our case is council run) is not asking too much. Do you work for the government or swimming baths?

PavlovtheCat Fri 07-Mar-14 21:14:39

(and our gym membership is cheaper than the local leisure centre membership for where the children would access public swimming so the argument about cost doesn't work out so well).

Waltonswatcher1 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:16:13

But the government shell out in the long run for ill health . All this talk of free school meals , and utterly pointless leaflet dropping . Far better to get kids moving .

arthurbaby Fri 07-Mar-14 21:16:46

Woowoo as explained she is too little for more than 15 minutes. I don't think they should police a time instead, for example I think charge £2.50 for one parent and baby. To others I understand it is expensive to run a pool, if you fully read my op I am saying if they charged less more people would go and they may actually make more money in the long run.

BikeRunSki Fri 07-Mar-14 21:17:00

But I assume the price is the same whether you choose to spend 15 mins or a hour? £8.40 for two adults and a baby is cheaper than our pool charges. As your dd gets older she will stay in longer and it'll seem more cost effective. You can get tiny wetsuits to keep babies warm when they are swimming.

Neither amiss I just fail to see why this is such a big problem for you. If you cant afford for both of you to go every week then

(1) only one of you go each week
(2) both go but less frequent

Why should there be a subsidy?

Tobagostreet Fri 07-Mar-14 21:17:21

Have you checked prices for pools at the next council area to yours? It could be cheaper than your area.

I agree that the prices you paid are extortionate. Though I may be spoilt by the fact it's so cheap where I live.

I'm in Glasgow, and all kids from the city under 16 get in free (under 5's always free, 5-16 free with a council issued card).

Adults cost under £3 each.

The pools are always well used, with fairly clean, modern changing rooms.

ikeaismylocal Fri 07-Mar-14 21:17:36

I also think a baby is more likely to poo/vomit in the pool causing a costly evacuation and clean up. Do you suggest that those things are charged as extras if they happen?

Bithurt Fri 07-Mar-14 21:18:03

Do you enjoy the gym or would you go swimming more regularly? I'm a member of my council gym/swimming pool. I'm £25 a month and it gives me free access to both. If you were to go regularly it might be worth looking into.

petalunicorn Fri 07-Mar-14 21:18:17

This is just the start - since ours popped over 3 years old the price of any activity gets eye watering, wait until they get old enough to go the cinema! We sometimes do the theatre with only 1 adult to keep costs down, it's that or not go.

Bithurt Fri 07-Mar-14 21:19:10

Ikeaismylocal, my ds was sick in the pool last time I took him. It was a lot about 3 hours after lunch!

meerschweinchen Fri 07-Mar-14 21:19:23

It's unfair to say it costs £40 an hour! It doesn't. It costs presumably £4.20 per adult, child goes free, and everyone can stay in as long as they like. If you choose to leave after 15 mins, that's your decision ( and obviously with young babies, it's a sensible one as otherwise they do get too cold, even in wetsuits). Babies grow up quickly, and will soon be able to cope with being in the pool for longer periods of time. So the vast majority of the pool's users will stay in for much longer than 15 mins. I can't see that it's particularly unfair or unreasonable.

PavlovtheCat Fri 07-Mar-14 21:19:39

tobo that's the point the OP is making I think - reduce the price, facilities get used more and people benefit including the OP.

I agree actually.

RandomMess Fri 07-Mar-14 21:20:25

As said above get a neoprene wetsuit so your baby can cope for longer in the water.

bella411 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:21:00

Yes, people can go to other places where it is cheaper and we as a family have stopped swimming on a Sunday, have this as a lazy day and do a family activity on a Monday, and go to soft play where it is free for under 1s to go to.

I would prefer to go swimming and this would probably be better for dd than soft play. Surely others do the same, so agree with cheaper prices and get more people in the pool, especially council run ones.

arthurbaby Fri 07-Mar-14 21:23:50

Pavlovthecat that is exactly my point. Thanks for reading properly.

Amissbyanyothername Fri 07-Mar-14 21:27:53

Because mynameisken the government continually push the healthy lifestyle approach, particularly in primary schools, and are due to spend 600 million on providing free school meals for every infant child (good publicity ehh). Yet a large percentage of these children eat rubbish when they leave the school gates. As Nick Grimshaw's (of radio 1 fame smile) trainer (for sport relief) said this morning - eat what you want as long as you exercise (there's the area to invest in)

PavlovtheCat Fri 07-Mar-14 21:28:19

arthur tbf on the other posters, it is the default position to disagree with an OP in AIBU so it's inevitable others don't agree with you. It's just not the MN way. We are meant to be martyrs to the cause of parenting here. £8 is an insignificant expense in the sacrificing stakes.

Tobagostreet Fri 07-Mar-14 21:29:04

I agree too Pavio - that what I was 'trying' to explain, just not very well.

Glasgow City Council shows that the facilities are busy and well used when its cheaper and more accessible to all.

Oh, and you shouldn't need to pay for a baby to swim - stands to reason that you're getting at least one adult paying full price, and they are unlikely to spend more than 30 mins max in the pool with a baby. Just exploitative to charge.

WooWooOwl Fri 07-Mar-14 21:29:22

Plenty of people take their babies swimming for more than 15 minutes, even when they are little, so it's your choice to only be in there for 15 minutes.

You could be right that more people would go if it were cheaper, but it's not a given.

PavlovtheCat Fri 07-Mar-14 21:30:10

Yet a large percentage of these children eat rubbish when they leave the school gates where is the evidence for that sweeping statement? and if it's true, then doesn't that make the free school meals policy a good idea, so that children get at least one meal before heading home for a whole heap of shit to be dished up?

HadABadDay2014 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:30:55

I had a gym membership that was going to end when PFB was due to be born. I said I wasn't going to renew as with a baby I wouldn't use it.

They offered to put DS on the membership for free, which meant we used the pool every few days.

Would this be an option

Amissbyanyothername Fri 07-Mar-14 21:33:32

grin Personal experience! The large percentage part was to soften the sweeping statement aspect. All I'm saying is perhaps a "hedging their bets" "don't put your 60 million in one basket" approach should be taken.

Waltonswatcher1 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:33:40

The school lunches are shit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now