To get slightly irritated when people refer to their children being in Year 4 etc?

(125 Posts)
Nirvana69 Fri 07-Mar-14 17:17:13

Just ever so slightly irritated but every thread I've read today related to school aged children I'm told they are in Year 6 or Year 10 or whatever.

This means nothing to me (Scottish) I have no idea what age a Year 6 pupil is.

Aibu to ask that people even stick the age in brackets?
Just a bug bear of mine.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 07-Mar-14 17:53:20

Zany in Scotland the school year from march 1st to feb 28th/29th.
So if you are born in feb you will be 4 1/2 when you start p1 in August, if you are born in August you will be 5.

P1-P7 are primary school, then S1-S6 are secondary. I think, based on having lurked on many a thread involving school years given as ages, that Reception is the same as P1, and P7 is what would be Y6. English pupils seem to start secondary in Y7, so Y8=S2, Y9=S3, Y10=S4 (GCSE and Nationals year), Y11 = S5 and S6 = Sixth form. But I don't know if English schools do A levels in Y11 like S5s do Highers or not.

Our school intakes are 1st March to the end of February. So my January born DS will be amongst the youngest in his year, as were my sister and I as February and December borns. I was 4 when I started school, and 17 when I left school at the end of S6.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 07-Mar-14 17:54:31

Similar to in the US kindergarten is primary 1 age

This document has a handy table mapping year groups for all 4 home nations.

Nirvana69 Fri 07-Mar-14 17:55:53

Well as I said even if everyone could put the child's age as well as the year.

Whenever I've seen a Scottish poster use P1 etc they usually have put the age.

MrsCakes I'm not trying to dictate at all, was merely a suggestion.

I wondered how long it would be until the Referendum was mentioned. smile

Tailtwister1 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:32:40

We're in Scotland and I was a bit confused initially, but you just have to take into account that there's a reception year in England which doesn't exist in Scotland. So, P1 is equivalent to Yr2.

Once you get into Senior school level you have the whole Grammar thing to think about which doesn't even exist in Scotland!

meditrina Fri 07-Mar-14 18:35:11

Of course, if everyone was considerate and clear, it woul mean the end of the pleasantly bats threads about sex education when there is always one one who muddles up year 6 with 6 yo

ZanyMobster Fri 07-Mar-14 18:48:04

Sorry it was a mistype in a rush, I meant England not UK.

So in England Aug born is very young in the year. My family are from Scotland and I thought P1 = Y1 so P6=Y6. I do get very confused about the ages the children start school in Scotland though.

wtf1981 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:50:47

Child's age at the beginning of the year minus 4 is what year they're in eg 6 years old at the beginning of year two.

Nirvana69 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:53:00

Hmm my eldest child was born on 31st August just before midnight. Does that mean he'd be the youngest in his year if we lived in England? If I'd held on a few minutes he would've been the eldest?

Yes - he would be 4yo plus 1 day when he started school. The eldest child would be born on the 1st Sept and would be 5yo on the day they started.

HuglessDouglas - Scottish children go,up to senior school a year later than their English counterparts - they only do 6 years in Senior school (S1 to S6), whereas English senior schools cover 7 years - Year 7 to Year 13.

When we moved to Scotland, ds3 went from being in the second year of his English senior school to being in the lowest Scottish senior school year, and ds3, who was only a term away from finishing Year 6 and moving up to senior school, ended up doing another year of Primary school.

letsgotostonehenge Fri 07-Mar-14 19:00:43

fiscal ha ha shock scottishmumsnet

Bonsoir Fri 07-Mar-14 19:02:18

Why is it so difficult to know what age a Year 6 pupil is?

letsgotostonehenge Fri 07-Mar-14 19:03:26

agreed bonsoir wink

wobblyweebles Fri 07-Mar-14 19:07:42

Why is it so difficult to know what age a Year 6 pupil is?

Mine are in grades 2, 4 and 6 - presumably you know their ages without thinking about it too hard?

Nirvana69 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:09:14

It's not difficult, it's irritating. Not everyone knows the English system.

letsgotostonehenge Fri 07-Mar-14 19:13:47

no but I wouldn't care, I wouldn't start a thread about it! smile

letsgotostonehenge Fri 07-Mar-14 19:14:25

if I did care I would look it up hmm

I don't know the French system either, but quite often see threads talking about maternelle classes. I see people talking about preps and pre-preps and have to guess what that means too. I generally manage to get the gist of the thread.

If I am talking about the dses' school years or qualifications, I tend to provide a translation (ie. Standard grades are broadly equivalent to GCSEs, ds3 is in S5, which is the equivalent of Year 12, or Lower Sixth form).

Jinty64 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:20:55

Zany in Scotland the school year from march 1st to feb 28th/29th. So if you are born in feb you will be 4 1/2 when you start p1 in August, if you are born in August you will be 5.

Unless, of course, you defer a year. Then January and February children will be 5 1/2 when they start school.

In Northern Ireland start nursery at 3 and school P1 in the September of the school year in which they turn 4 years of age.
Primary school years P1 to P7, then secondary / grammar at age 11 into year 8.
Year 12 for GCSE, and then either lower and upper sixth for A levels or Years 13 and 14 depending on school.

Simples.

Bonsoir Fri 07-Mar-14 19:23:43

If they are US grades, yes, I know immediately.

Nirvana69 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:24:46

There are some right wankers in this place.

Take your hmm face and ram it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now