ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
AIBU to really, really not want an induction?(126 Posts)
40+5, first baby. Yesterday the midwife booked me in for an induction at 40+13 if I go that long. I know there are good reasons to induce - risk of stillbirth goes up after 42 weeks (even if it's still tiny), I won't be sodding pregnant and sick any more - but I am feeling more and more strongly that induction is not what I want to do.
MW thinks everything looks good and there is progress, it's just not happening fast (baby still high but more engaged than last week, Bishop score of 2, sweep unsuccessful). There's a family history of 42-week pregnancies, on both mine and DH's side. I can feel my body starting to gear up for labour (spells of painful contractions that fizzle out). 40+13 is still over a week away. And then I start thinking, this time next week I'll be arriving at the antenatal ward, and the thought of it makes me want to burst into tears.
I do think IABU to some degree to be dreading induction this much, because I can't even quite put my finger on why. I'm convinced that if they induce me, I'll end up on syntocinon and continuous monitoring and then have a section anyway and the whole thing will go wrong and be awful. I know most inductions aren't horror stories, but I am convinced mine will be, and that it'll be my own fault for trying to push things before my body and my baby were ready, when maybe it's just the kind of baby that takes 42 weeks to make. Originally the midwife tried to schedule induction for 40+14, then the hospital had no slots that day so it became 40+13, and then they want you in the day before so that's 40+12, and now it feels like a ticking clock getting louder and louder and louder.
I know I can say no to induction, but then I'd be taking on extra risk and I wouldn't be super-happy with that either. I just can't stop thinking about it and dreading it. Everything about it feels wrong. I even wanted to put my hands over my ears when DH asked which building the ward was in! All this is totally unlike me and I have no idea where it's all come from. I don't ever cry, ffs, and yet I know I'm going to be turning up for that induction in tears.
So. AIBU to consider refusing/delaying induction because of this? And if I am, how the fuckity fuck do I get over it?
You are neither unreasonable or reasonable, just heavily pregnant.
It's over a week away and you need to chillax man
The question is 'what good is stressing now' - ask yourself the question on the day and not now.
I'm sure you already know all the pineapple/raspberry/spunk tea move it along advice
"spunk tea"?!? I think I'd rather the induction, tbh.
YANBU for really, really not wanting an induction. Although if it comes to it, it probably wont be as bad as you imagine.
Given that you're only +5, most babies arrive by +10 and the worry is totally unhelpful, would it be possible to promise yourself not to worry about it until +11? (This is just how I sometimes deal with worrying that is unproductive and stressful). At which point you can permit yourself tears etc.
And also know that you always have the option of going in for monitoring, then coming home.
I refused induction twice. The second time I said 'I don't want to be induced' then the midwife looked at the diary and said 'Ah well, we couldn't have fitted you in this week anyway.'
No you are nbu to really not want an induction.
I have been induced twice and really didn't want to be but I personally felt that if my baby was mature enough to be born, then it was probably safer to be induced than risk problems. I was induced at 40+13 and 42w.
I was also booked to be induced with another of my babies and had to report to the ward at 8:30am. I felt quite down about that. However, the baby had other ideas and was born at 3:30am the morning of the appt. So at the time I was due to book in, I was on the postnatal ward with my 5hr old baby. Just because you are given an induction date doesn't always mean you will be induced
Hopefully, your baby will put an appearance in very soon. Best wishes.
My advice would be to get as much info as poss. on the hospital procedure of induction where you are. It will make you feel a little more in control, and throw up more questions. When/if the time comes you will feel less like you are on a conveyer belt going who knows where! You can make informed choices.
I was you 6 weeks ago.
Two beautifully induced babies here . Dd14 and dd2.
It will be fine .
YANBU. I would refuse induction as well.
But chances are you will go into labour in the next few days! Try and relax and eat loads of curry (also not convinced about the spunk tea ).
Are you having a HB? I did with DD and hopefully will again in July. I do not want to see the inside of a hospital apart from for my scans!
Ds was induced at 40+7 as I'd had enough.
He was more than ready to come so I had one pessary, a quick walk and went straight into contracting every 3 mins. Had a completely normal birth.
Not every induction is a horror story.
Plus you have loads of time. Stressing about it won't help. Lots of relaxation, bit of exercise. You can't be pregnant forever!
My ds1 was induced at 40+13, he arrived 1hr 30 after my contractions started.
With ds 2 I went in to be induced at 40+11 and was told I was in labour... And 4cm dilated ds2 was born 45 minutes after they broke my waters.
At least you are booked in. You can always change your mind next week or your dc might change it for you!
I was induced at 38 weeks for medical reasons. Had 2 pessaries and that was it. Short, easy labour...well as easy ad it can be I think. 6 hours total, 1 hour pushing. Had gas and air but didn't need anything else. No tearing, baby fine. It doesn't have to be horrific and you might not need one. Try to relax and stop imagining the worst...pointless stress!
I was booked to be induced at 41wks due to lots of complications. I went into labour spontaneously 3hours before I was due in. They rang me to tell me to come in to be induced but I was already in delivery. Odds are you'll beat it, & if you don't you can make a decision nearer the time.
Spunk tea? Jesus.
I have a midwife appointment for another sweep attempt at 40+8, so I reckon I could try to put off stressing about this at least until after I've had that and given it time to work.
Thanks for the reminders that lots of inductions go perfectly well. I think it's not helped that everyone I know who had an induction with their first ended up with stories of horror and awfulness (which they all seem perfectly cheerful about recounting now, gory details of blood loss/alarms going off/doctors yelling "FORCEPS RIGHT NOW", etc. included).
I've heard of a pessary tampon type thing where you can actually go home rather than having the tablet / gel where you have to stay in. Is it worth trying this, maybe earlier, and seeing if it gets things going?
I've had two very successful inductions but you go with what you're comfortable with
Friday night sex and curry? Dance around gyrating your hips? Wil.I. am helped me prevent an induction.
I was you 6 months go. I walked into the hospital on that day saying 'bring it on' induce me!!
I was induced at 42 weeks and really didn't want to be, but by that time I was so fed up I felt as if the baby was never going to come out of its own accord!
Had one pessary and gave birth about 8 hours later so was definitely ready for it! I had a fairly straightforward birth and managed on gas and air, but tore badly so was rushed up to theatre to be stitched up along with spinal block etc.
Being induced wasn't what I wanted, but it wasn't too bad for me. If you can face going to hospital for the daily monitoring after 42 weeks then do it. But being induced doesn't always mean it will be horrible.
Good luck and hope the baby comes before your booked induction!
YANBU, I'm terrified of having another C-section.
If it helps I got to 40+5 with 2 of my babies but both of them were born before 40+12. I was pushing DS3 out at the time I was meant to be induced with him.
If your Bishop score is still 2 when you are booked to be induced then your body is showing signs that it's really not yet ready to give birth, and induction is less likely to work.
OTOH it might be much higher... in which case your body is getting ready to give birth and if you wait it will get there of its own accord, or you could go for induction to speed things along.
Just something to think about when you get a bit closer.
YABU go for a 'highly medicated' induction which means an epidural as soon as it hurts at all. Then if it does go pear-shaped, epidural can be topped up and it will at least be painfree.
How your baby comes out does not matter, it is their arriving safely and 'in one piece' that counts. Best wishes. It will be fine and worth it in the end.
PS If you are high risk in any way, you could probably go for an elective C-Section or early C-section if induction fails. Induction can be very tiring so switching to surgical delivery sooner rather than later may suit you better.
Bugger, wrote a really eloquent post & then lost it. As I said, I 'beat' my induction by 3hrs, but went on to have a crash section & PPH. If I'd been induced I would of blamed that but it was obviously just how things were going to be. In contrast my friends just been induced at 39 wks (gestational diabetes) & popped her DS out in no time with a sniff of G&A.
I think it's very normal to have the wobbles at 40ish weeks, I certainly did. You've got plenty of time yet for nature to take its course & if it doesn't then you can make a decision then.
Based on what you're saying about feeling your body starting to gear up OP, I wouldn't be too surprised if baby arrives by itself in the next couple of days! Just a feeling. Everyone say I told you so if you're still here this time next week.
Now off for a nice glass of spunk tea...
YANBU. I was induced at 42+1. Was a horrible experience and I felt DC1 would come when he was ready. When he was born (after various methods failing) 2 days later, there was no sign at all he was post dates and I felt traumatised by the whole thing. DC2 and DC3 were also very late, but this time I refused offers of induction and sweeps and they came in their own time. Good luck, whatever you decide.
I opted for monitoring with DC2, but wasn't aware this was an option first time round.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.