Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

To think that school children (secondary) shouldn't be allowed to lave school at lunchtime

(93 Posts)
BeeInYourBonnet Fri 07-Mar-14 07:17:36

I drive past my local shops at lunchtime every day, and without fail the chip shop, bakery and kebab shop are full of children from the local secondary school. Its not unusual to see up to 50 teenagers, and when I've been close enough to see (when I am stopping at shops too) they are all without fail eating big pizza slices, pasties, chips, or kebabs. Almost one has a plastic tray of some kind, full of greasy food.

When I was a teenager, we weren't allowed out of school at lunchtime without a note from parents saying we were going home for lunch. When did this stop, and isn't letting kids eat shit at lunchtime contributing to obesity and reinforcing bad eating habits, when actually secondary school is a time when we can make one last ditch attempt to encourage good eating habits?

hackmum Fri 07-Mar-14 08:08:49

I'm a child of the 70s. We were allowed out of primary school at lunchtime. Happy days.

Groovee Fri 07-Mar-14 08:11:48

I was allowed out from 1st year. We had a great wee deli who did gorgeous filled rolls.

My dd can leave school but she loves the meals at school which are under healthy schools or she comes home.

goldenlula Fri 07-Mar-14 08:14:20

When I was at secondary school 25 years ago, you were allowed out of school, I used to go home every lunchtime. I don't remember my parents sending a note in (certainly didn't carry a letter from them) and no staff checked you as you left. The chip shop and sweet shop were always full!

formerbabe Fri 07-Mar-14 08:23:54

How is it legal? I don't have kids in secondary school yet...do you have to sign something to say you have allowed them to leave at lunchtime?

cory Fri 07-Mar-14 08:32:54

in ds' school this is only allowed for upper school, i.e. students aged 14-16

seems reasonable to me: these are youngsters who would be expected to have a fair amount of freedom to move about at other times, who might well (once 15) have Saturday jobs, who travel to school and home on their own

besides, what's to stop them from buying junk food on the way into school?

and, as other posters have pointed out, school dinners mainly consist of cheap junk food these days; you can probably get a better meal down the local corner shop

LokiDokey Fri 07-Mar-14 08:33:18

My DD leaves school to go and see her 78 year old Nan who lives around the corner. In exchange for a hot cooked meal she helps out with anything that needs doing then goes back to school.
She's done that since year 7 and her brother did it before her.

Only year 11 are allowed out in her school now (I had to fight the school to let her leave) but at 16 I feel they are responsible enough to make the choice whether a slice of pizza or a cone of chips is the sensible option, and to be honest at that age they burn it off in record time anyway.

Kleinzeit Fri 07-Mar-14 08:35:36

I wish, but my DS’s school doesn’t have the facilities or space to feed them all onsite at lunchtime. Can’t be helped. And getting used to choosing his own lunch from the local snack shops, cafes and supermarkets has been quite good experience for him all in all.

OddFodd Fri 07-Mar-14 08:38:32

We used to go to the pub at lunchtime when I was at school 30 years ago (not in UK). I think chips are probably a better lunchtime diet than beer!

whois Fri 07-Mar-14 08:38:56

We weren't allowed off site without a note. Didn't stop half the school sneaking out to the fish and chip shop at lunchtime!

Doesn't seen to have done me too much harm in the long run although I was getting a decent breakfast and dinner.

If is stayed on school property I'd have bought a sausage roll and some chips anyway!

MyBodyIsAtemplate Fri 07-Mar-14 08:40:45

WorrySigh bet you still haven't confessed to your parents either.

I told dm last week that I used to hide a jacket and stilletoes in a bag behind our garden hedge and change for a night out so taking off the warm coat and shoes I had on before leaving the house at 16.

she got really huffy and cross and said I had lied to her.!

I am 50, she is 80!.

TwoThreeFourSix Fri 07-Mar-14 08:41:14

I went home everyday from year 7-11 except when I had a club. 3 or 4 friends came with me. It was a blissful escape from the constant bullying. We never went to the shops and never caused anyone any problems. I would have hated having to stay in school for lunch.

monkeymamma Fri 07-Mar-14 08:50:39

We were allowed out at lunchtime and ate some shockingly unhealthy crap. (Mmmm, sausage savouries...) One of the newsagents also sold cigarettes singly at pocket money prices, kept em in a big jar on the counter. The thing is, it did start us on the road to independence and adulthood so IMO was a necessary and good thing.

Wantsunshine Fri 07-Mar-14 08:57:01

When you were allowed out for lunch in the eighties/nineties that was the time to find somewhere to hide to try smoking or meet up with boys from neighbouring school. Do they just eat chips now?!

NigellasDealer Fri 07-Mar-14 08:58:58

kebabs and chips or a sandwich will be healthier than the slop they are served up for school dinners.
good grief my child's school has only just now got rid of the coca cola and crisp machines.

meditrina Fri 07-Mar-14 08:59:38

We were allowed out at lunchtimes. I used to save my lunch money to spend at the pub at weekends...

Stinklebell Fri 07-Mar-14 09:02:19

My DD's secondary allows them out from year 11 - although that's about to be withdrawn as they've been making a nuisance of themselves with the school's neighbours

I'm surprised the younger ones are allowed out though. I had to collect DD for an appointment at lunchtime a couple of weeks ago, I had to give written permission and collect her myself from reception, they wouldn't let her go without me

whatever5 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:03:24

Only sixth formers are allowed out at lunchtime in dd's school. I think it's the same for other schools in my area as I never see anyone in school uniform during the day.

WorrySighWorrySigh Fri 07-Mar-14 09:04:26

MyBodyIsAtemplate - too right, She would probably try and ground me or something (I'm 47 she is 75)

bigTillyMint Fri 07-Mar-14 09:04:39

AFAIK, only Yr 12 and 13 are allowed out at lunchtimes at the DC's school, same as when I was at school and I think the same for other schools in the area.

LokiDokey Fri 07-Mar-14 09:07:22

I was at primary in the 70's, my Nan lived just across the road from it and I was allowed to go to her for lunch. She didn't collect me, just stood on the doorstep and watched me there and back. This started when I was about 7.
Lunch would usually be Chef Sausage and Beans and a Supermousse. Good times grin

sandyballs Fri 07-Mar-14 09:07:38

No-one allowed out in my DDs secondary so they eat wedges and fizz in school instead. I was at secondary in the early 80's and only prefects were alloewd out at lunch. I used to buy a white crispy buttered roll and put a bag of crisps in it. That was my lunch every day for about 5 years. I don't remember anyone being particularly overweight though.

JammyPodger Fri 07-Mar-14 09:10:26

I think my school told us we couldn't go out until sixth form, but everyone did anyway. There was never enough room in the dining hall so if you stayed you had to sit in a sweaty classroom usually.

Orangeanddemons Fri 07-Mar-14 09:13:31

Our school serves nice meals, but they are expensive and they serve small portions. The canteen is simply not big enough to accommodate the whole school, so it takes the pressure off, if some go out of the building. Only upper school and 6th form allowed out though.

ginbin54 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:36:17

Formerbabe. As far as I remember, when they got to yr 11 we had to sign a form saying we gave permission for them to leave the premises at lunch time.

hackmum Fri 07-Mar-14 09:43:39

Chips were considered a normal lunchtime option in my day. There were three groups of kids at lunchtime: school dinners, packed lunch and "going for chips".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now