To think the British youth of today is a bit lazy??

(180 Posts)
TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 06:24:46

Disclaimer: sweeping generalisation so obviously not true for all. Also, basing a lot of this on my friends and what they do.

I work in the office of a factory where I regularly go down to the factory floor. We have approx 95% Eastern European workers. They work shockingly hard and some of them are my friends who I love. There's a slight issue of communication but we have translators so not a problem.

We rarely get British people through our agency and when we do I always think 'brilliant, they'll be easy to tell what's what' rather than guessing, doing strange hand gestures, calling another person off their shift or google translate.

The problem is, they're no where near as nice as our current workers (the last pair felt the need to tell me they thought my DP was my son when he pulled up one day) and they work at snails pace. And run off screaming 'yay break time' at break. They also stand back doing nothing while regulars set up the shift. Though that may be a communication issue as the regulars aren't telling them what to grab from where as they can't. Basically, they are never called back.

Looking at my Polish friends, not one is unemployed or lazy. My English friends... They either work in some fancy role and work hard or Most popped a baby out not long after school and saw it as a means of staying at home. They feel they are entitled to benefits. They talk a good talk about wanting to work but when I ask how many jobs they've applied for I get excuse after excuse.

It's all very well saying British jobs for British people but I feel like younger people don't push themselves.

For the record I'm 26

Do we have less drive than our Eastern European counterparts???

bruffin Fri 07-Mar-14 09:00:02

If your only using agency staff, your not really the type of company that has any investment in its staff or commitment to training them.

My ds 18 in 6th form and currently has 2 p/t jobs. My dd 16 has been offered two p/t jobs in the last couple of weeks, as well as taken a professional qualification to do another. This is the "youth" of today I know.

cory Fri 07-Mar-14 09:01:21

Just in case I am outed/spotted, I will add that my last employer was very conscientious about making sure this did not happen. Employers and their attitudes make a big difference.

NigellasDealer Fri 07-Mar-14 09:02:21

oh an saying that your exploited workers are your 'friends' is just bullcrap, sorry, they are not your friends, learn some Polish and your ears will burn grin

WheelieBinThief Fri 07-Mar-14 09:02:53

I am in my 20s and I don't see this, OP.

I know people who had children young, but they have all worked. Some stayed at home until the children were 2-3, but then it was back to part-time work at least. The only women I know who have been SAHMs for years and years had their children later on & were usually well off, and good luck to them as well.

I also know young people who are unemployed and desperate for work, being continually screwed over by zero hour contracts, and employees who get them to work 'on trial' for a few weeks, then say 'we don't need you after all' but don't actually give them any money for the work they have done!

You really are talking rubbish, you know. Maybe you should pick your friends better.

NigellasDealer Fri 07-Mar-14 09:08:57

* I really like the Polish as they are all motivated, and hardworking and are good examples to their children*
yes like my ex who claimed JSA for seven years to avoid CSA and told my son that he 'could make more profit this way'? and his wife was doing the same and so were her adult children!

WooWooOwl Fri 07-Mar-14 09:09:52

I agree with you, but it also agree with the point that immigrants that have come here to work are a self selecting group, and as such are likely to be more motivated than others.

I used to work in a place that also employed a few people from Poland and Eastern Europe for the job I did that was slightly above NMW. I consider myself to be a good worker that was committed to the job, and I know for a fact that I went above and beyond what was expected of me and did a very good job. But I was lazy compared to the Eastern Europeans there. If I put in 110% they were putting in at least 150%.

Pollyputthekettle Fri 07-Mar-14 09:13:06

Just out of interest- Are the agencies polish themselves?

How much do your polish workers get paid? Less than NMW?

Is your environment English friendly? - IE. Sounds like most are just speaking polish.

To some extent I agree with what you say. There are some people n this country who see benefits as a better alternative to taking any job. I can think of at least one person who after having a baby at 15 has never worked and now her 'baby' is 16. But I can think of a whole lot more people who would take any job.

ExcuseTypos Fri 07-Mar-14 09:17:55

You said it yourself OP- sweeping generalisations.

And if you change "British youth of today" with any other nationality this thread would be deleted.

ExcuseTypos Fri 07-Mar-14 09:20:09

In fact I might just start a few threads with

"Indian/South African/French/Canadian youths are lazy" and see what happens.

WitchWay Fri 07-Mar-14 09:28:52

A while ago we stayed in a hotel in Jersey where most of the staff were Polish - nothing was too much trouble for them & they really looked after us.

Shortly after that we stayed in a hotel in the Lake District - all the staff were English - the waiting staff (probably students doing a holiday job we thought) in the restaurant seemed to think it almost beneath them to provide a service - food was dumped down, sauces etc were huffily fetched, they stood about gossiping. A huge difference. I know who I'd want to employ if I had the chance!

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 09:46:42

Firstly I need to point out im not a manager, nor is it my company so I can't say who is employed etc.

As for teen pregnancies plummeting, obviously I was a teen and my friends were teen mums ten years ago so it's irrelevant to compare that to teens now.

We pay more than NMW here. 65p bonus on top of that if we don't take more than 5 unauthorised days in a year.

I can't say what the agency pay their staff tho.

I'm learning polish. My polish friends are teaching me. I see them outside of work too. I am only slightly higher than them. I'm quality control in also looking to get out of this shit hole ASAP.

Nobody is exploited in this workplace.

I think some of you are jumping to conclusions that I think the young are lazy an feckless. As I say, I have many friends who've gone far. I know it's not all. I just think the immigrants from Eastern Europe that work here work harder than anyone else!!!!

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 09:49:05

No agency is English but doesn't seen to attract English workers. Not sure why.

I think we are English and polish friendly. The ppl who aren't pricks here are learning polish and we all make the effort. Well apart from managers. All signs are multi lingual. No one dislikes anyone. I'd say we are pretty friendly

HoneyDragon Fri 07-Mar-14 09:49:31

I own a factory. We employ lots if different nationalities of different ages, your op is complete anecdotal bollocks.

behindthetimes Fri 07-Mar-14 09:59:59

akachan and others make a good point but generally I agree with you OP. My husband is foreign, and has a frighteningly intense work ethic (self-employed and works 7 days a week despite my protests). We visit his home country a lot, and people there really value their jobs, probably because there is no welfare state to feed their family if they don't work. You see middle aged men working as waiters who behave as if it's the most important job in the world, and the fact that people genuinely value their jobs means that service is generally excellent. My husband and his brothers would see it as unmanly not to work hard, even if they were doing something they didn't want to do forever.

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 10:01:28

There's also no smugness.

I'm currently writing my cv and I'm seriously concerned that people who have this conception won't want to hire me. Im also concerned of them knowing I have DD in case they decide that causes issues with employing me.

ouryve Fri 07-Mar-14 10:05:25

The girl next door goes to college, worked through the summer (and did well, as she worked hard) and sells Avon during term time. She's far from lazy.

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 10:05:39

Behind the times, exactly! Is it the benefit state that makes us lax?

My DP has an incredible work ethic. He recently had to travel to various countries. He said the difference in certain countries was shocking.

I'm driven but I hate my job. I'm nothing compared to DP. He's always been like that. His mums the same. His older brother is the exact opposite. His younger brother is currently doing his a levels and I can't work out if he is or not. So I'm going to say it's not necessarily how you're bought up either. I just don't know. hmm

crazykat Fri 07-Mar-14 10:12:52

While it may be true for some that they could get a job if they tried harder, its not always the case and depends hugely on where you live.

When I left college I had excellent gcse's and decent a level results, I could have gone straight to uni but I wanted to save some money instead of struggling on a student loan. I was applying for 60+ jobs per day but I was either too young with not experience or too old as they wanted 16/17 year olds with no set minimum wage.

My dad had the same when his employer went bust. He'd worked in the same place for 13 years, before that he was agency driving for 6ish months after finishing a 26 year army career. I was applying for dozens of jobs online for him and he was phoning and signing up with agencies. It took him nearly 2 years to get a job because he was 'too old' for hgv driving despite just having a hgv driving job involving a lot of physical work.

It's not all about work ethic and trying hard enough and you'll get a job. I'm not saying that there aren't lazy people who can't be bothered to work, but there's many more who want a job but can't get one.

I'm currently a SAHM and studying for my degree round the kids and housework. I've looked for jobs but childcare costs make it impossible to work days until ds2 starts nursery. I've even looked for night shift work but due to dh's job he works away at short notice and his hours are different every day as he works off site.

There are still not enough jobs for everyone who is unemployed regardless of whether they'd be prepared to do the ones available.

BrianTheMole Fri 07-Mar-14 10:15:10

Really good post OhMerGerd. I completely agree.

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 10:16:16

Also not saying bad about people who apply but get nothing. I've been there.

It's the people who say they've applied for loads and when I say 'Ohhhhhh where?' To encourage them they say 'errrmmmm' or if I say have you been to agencies and it's a resounding no.

I have a friend who interviews like a pro but continually gets sacked for not putting the effort in

Jobs are hard to get. If they weren't I'd walk out of this shit hole right now. hmm

bochead Fri 07-Mar-14 10:21:20

There's a brain drain from the UK and Ireland to Aus/New Zealand and Canada. Our brightest and best are heading off to greener pastures. We also have young people who go on gap years and work really hard in poor conditions for the sheer experience of another culture.

A lot of E. Europeans come for 5 years, work like dogs and then go back home and buy a property outright with the proceeds as it's still possible to do so. Their country of origin is still "home" to them & they have no intention of continuing the lifestyle they experience in the UK until they are pensioners.

I know several British people who have bought holiday homes in Poland, Romania and Bulgaria now you can get a flight for £99, and Spain has suffered a few scandals. Hell, I intend to do it myself with Romania eventually, having witnessed my stepson do it last year - £10k bought him a lovely country cottage. (DS's dad is Romanian).

We don't see over here the Polish loafers, wastrels and ijeets - but they exist in E. Europe just as they do over amongst the British population.

Maybe its your agency who is shoving its british applicants to the bottom of the list in favour of their cheaper and less stubborn foreign workers? Maybe you need to associate yourself less with others and bother more with what your doing yourself? Never have i read such a sladerous post from one brit about another.

I got pregnant at 18 and have 2 of school age at 24. Care to judge me?

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 10:34:24

Little miss sunshine, pretty sure I've said getting pregnant young isn't the issue... Used my own mother as an example...

So what exactly is the issue then? The fact you know a few people who act a certain way? I know a few older mums who cant be bothered dealing with their kids, does that mean that all older parents are the same? Course it doesnt.

Also as i said how do you know your agency isnt just putting your british applicants to the bottom of the list in favour of foreigners?

bochead It's only a small sample of 10 Polish workers, but everyone I know from Poland came here for a few years to earn enough to build a house in Poland, went back to Poland and was back here within 2 years because they had realised how rubbish life was in Poland and how much they enjoyed living and working in the UK.

An even smaller sample, a friend placed an advert for a cleaner at her place of work at slightly over NMW. There were tens of applicants from all over the city, some of whom would have been over an hour's bus ride away, not one single applicant was English.

I agree with the PP who said it is a self-selecting bunch of immigrant workers - the ones with the get up and go to get up and go and earn money. I've noticed that half of my OU course are also foreigners who are working in the UK, who have realised the value of education and are working hard to improve themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now