Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to enjoy cleaning really dirty waxy ears

(124 Posts)
ohnoppp Thu 06-Mar-14 23:27:19

Love it when the bud has chunks of ear wax on it

cardamomginger Thu 06-Mar-14 23:30:42

YANBU.

3lovelykids Thu 06-Mar-14 23:34:30

My dd is deaf in one ear at the moment from cleaning her ears with a cotton bud so be careful blush

ohnoppp Thu 06-Mar-14 23:35:55

Only do mine

HadABadDay2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 23:37:35

Try having Otis externa, my ear builds up every day.

Amandine29 Thu 06-Mar-14 23:37:36

My dog has just had an ear infection that required the use of ear drops. The drops have made all of the wax that was deep in his ear come loose and to the top of his ear. Cleaning it has been strangely satisfying! It's not something I usually enjoy though.

Chippednailvarnish Thu 06-Mar-14 23:37:44

Ear cleaner is my dream career!

cherrytree63 Thu 06-Mar-14 23:41:31

I love cleaning ears as much as I love squeezing spots :-)

GeraldineFangedVagine Thu 06-Mar-14 23:44:24

This week i have been deaf in one ear. Ive been putting olive oil in and in the bath i DIY syringed and a perfect cast of my ear canal in solid wax popped out. Twas about an inch long. Its the most amazing thing thats ever happened to me smile

OiMissus Thu 06-Mar-14 23:44:43

Yanbu.
Cleaning one's own and one's own small child's ears ought to be satisfying.
...As satisfying as plucking hairs from DH's ears, mono brow, and back. And squeezing any weird bodily spottage (DH obviously!!).
And picking (own) scabs.
Home surgery is my job, and if DH ever plucks his own ear hair he will be served with divorce papers.
Yanbu, I repeat!

ohnoppp Thu 06-Mar-14 23:46:06

Wow Geraldine that is amazing very jealous

weekendninja Thu 06-Mar-14 23:48:26

I love putting Otex in my ears. It tingles as it blasts the wax and fizzes away. Unfortunately I'm not that waxy. DH is the lucky sod.

GeraldineFangedVagine Thu 06-Mar-14 23:48:49

As a downside i can hear everything DP and DS say now. Cant all be fun and games smile

ohnoppp Thu 06-Mar-14 23:53:32

Must try otex

weekendninja Thu 06-Mar-14 23:59:13

Try and leave them for a few weeks OP. It's just so...satisfying.

When DH does his you can hear the fizz envy.

ohnoppp Fri 07-Mar-14 00:01:07

Ooooh my ideal job would be syringing ears

Jollyphonics Fri 07-Mar-14 00:04:18

Putting cotton buds in your ears is not a good idea. For all the wax you scoop out, you almost certainly push more in and make it hard and impacted, thereby defeating the object.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I worked in ENT for a while are the mantra there is "never put anything in your ear that's smaller than your elbow"!

mollypup Fri 07-Mar-14 00:07:06

I use a kirby grip, it's amazing (and probably a bit disgusting)!

123rd Fri 07-Mar-14 00:08:12

Geraldine-very jealous. How did you do that?? I went to the nurse recently but she would only do one ear as the second wasn't bad enough hmm

weekendninja Fri 07-Mar-14 00:08:58

I also occasionally use a kirby grip if there are no cotton buds around. Not sure I could do anyone else's. I certainly couldn't squeeze anyone's spots.

I've always had really waxy ears and enjoy competitions with DH to see who can get the most earwax out.

I always win and frankly, don't know why he continues to compete grin

mumminio Fri 07-Mar-14 00:10:04

Ooh I love it too! Is there a way to make sure the ear cleaning is safe for a baby? I just use a q-tip usually, angled lengthwise along his body, then twirl away from the entrance to the ear drum. Can get a lot out that way, hopefully staying far enough away from the ear drum but not sure...

weekendninja Fri 07-Mar-14 00:10:21

<high fives mollypup>

I always do my kirby gripping in private though.

ColdTeaAgain Fri 07-Mar-14 00:11:42

What do you need to do to syringe your ears at home Geraldine? I am convinced DPs ears are clogged with wax and have been trying to persuade him to get them checked at GP for ages but he won't have any of it! If plugs of wax came out of his ears I would be Mrs Smug from Smuggington!

weekendninja Fri 07-Mar-14 00:11:48

Muminio, just leave it and wipe it away when if comes out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now