to feel a bit upset at nurse's comment

(73 Posts)
almostheadgirl Thu 06-Mar-14 22:01:25

It would be great to get your perspective on this as I admit I may have been over-sensitive.
Joined a new GP practice this week. The nurse did all the usual checks, BP, height, urine etc - then she asks me to pop on the scales. No problem...Now, I have been working hard at losing the baby weight, am finally very happy with my size and consider myself to be reasonably 'back to normal' (ish!). I'm almost 5ft 9 and weigh 10 stone. She looks at the scales and goes "Hmmmm, not bad."
I felt quite upset. I said to her, I am almost 5ft 9... and she just smiled. It just struck me as a bit insensitive. I don't think I'm in any way over weight?! Is it just me being sleep deprived and pathetic to feel a bit insulted by this?

SpinningFates Fri 07-Mar-14 22:34:07

QOF points.

BarbarianMum Fri 07-Mar-14 22:27:40

Then why weigh them?

SpinningFates Fri 07-Mar-14 21:06:04

I'm a nurse. I don't think that it is necessary to comment on a patient's weight.

almostheadgirl Fri 07-Mar-14 20:32:48

Thanks coumartin, that's very kind.

Coumarin Fri 07-Mar-14 20:30:36

If anything maybe she was expecting your weight to be under and was pleased it was in the healthy range. I really don't think she meant anything by it at all. In that profession if she had any concerns whatsoever she would come straight out with them. Ime nurses don't beat about the bush.

Hope you feel better tomorrow and manage to get some rest. thanks

almostheadgirl Fri 07-Mar-14 20:25:53

Thanks everyone and sorry for the delay in reply...blame said babies! Ok, so I can see the consensus is leaning towards me being unreasonable....fair enough...your posts have been really helpful, if some a bit harsh most very sensible. Again, I reiterate, I promise it is not in any way a stealth boast. I am genuinely pretty ok with my weight, body image etc, but like lots of women I guess I just felt a bit less content than I maybe should given that of course my body isn't the same post babies. And I'm ok with that, honest, I have 2 beautiful healthy children whom I'm grateful for every day. But still, I think we all have a wobble every now and again about our appearance or weight, surely??! And I still think a 'that's fine' or just saying nothing would have been more appropriate. If she had said my BP was 'not bad' I would've asked if it was high or if there was a problem, as to me that expression sounds negative. BUT, I can see from the replies that seemingly lots of people use this as 'understatement' so I guess that sort of makes sense! In conclusion, I have given this waaaay too much thought, sorry if it all sounded a bit daft, it just got to me at the time...need more sleep. Thanks again.

WaitMonkey Fri 07-Mar-14 19:40:55

Massively over thinking this. She didn't mean anything.

Tiredemma Fri 07-Mar-14 19:36:54

and nod enthusiastically to the Dr.

NurseyWursey Fri 07-Mar-14 19:34:24

Obviously we're just there to clean bedpans and take notes hmm

Tiredemma Fri 07-Mar-14 19:29:08

YANBU. Nurses need to keep any comments, good or bad to themselves.

seriously?

Unless my patients have developed a skill of reading my mind, I cant see how this will be of any benefit. How does it work?

And most importantly - am I not worthy of making any comments?

NurseyWursey Fri 07-Mar-14 19:26:03

YANBU. Nurses need to keep any comments, good or bad to themselves

Can I ask why? Are nurses beneath commenting now? or do you think we aren't educated enough to know what is good or bad?

NurseyWursey Fri 07-Mar-14 19:24:47

I used to always say things like 'not bad', but then read a textbook about using positive language, and how sentences with negative language like 'not bad' can make people uneasy. It's better to just say a simple 'good' or 'okay'.

I think it is being oversensitive, but obviously a few people feel that way.

SpinningFates Fri 07-Mar-14 18:58:00

I wouldn't expect the scales to be accurate anyway, unless they have been checked by a Weights and Measures Inspector.

SpinningFates Fri 07-Mar-14 18:56:08

YANBU. Nurses need to keep any comments, good or bad to themselves.

RalphRecklessCardew Fri 07-Mar-14 18:14:09

Um. This might be a bit tactless, but do you have a history of eating disorders? Because there is no way that 5'9'' and 10 stone is anything other than very slim.

Suzyjane1 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:08:50

Gosh. Try having MIL tell you (when you're heavily pregnant) that "you'll probably need a crane to lift you up".. Who gives a flying monkey what the nurse thinks. If you're in normal range, and there are no medical reasons for her to comment, then brush it off. She's not paid to be a fashion guru and therefore her opinion is invalid. Of course, she was probably not meaning anything at all.

Anonymai Fri 07-Mar-14 18:07:21

I agree. Bit odd! I expect my doctors scales are more accurate than my cheapy tesco £10 ones!

maddening Fri 07-Mar-14 18:07:00

crikey I dream of 10 stone and am 5'8"

absolutely well done on your weightless and ignore the comment

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Mar-14 18:05:07

Why did she not just ask your weight? Recently a locum GP at m practice asked me to step on the scales. I told him my weight and said I didn't appreciate being treated as if I couldn't be trusted.

That's weird

It's got nothing to do with trust.

How can he be sure your scales are accurate?

DomesticDisgrace Fri 07-Mar-14 16:56:23

Oh ffs!

formerbabe Fri 07-Mar-14 16:01:11

YANBU. I am 5'3'' and wish I weighed ten stone (which would be at the top end of my healthy range). At 5'9'', you must be very slim at 10 stone. Nurse sounds like a cheeky mare to me!

Katinkia Fri 07-Mar-14 15:26:49

Stop showing off! hmm

higgle Fri 07-Mar-14 14:41:48

Why did she not just ask your weight? Recently a locum GP at m practice asked me to step on the scales. I told him my weight and said I didn't appreciate being treated as if I couldn't be trusted.

purplebaubles Fri 07-Mar-14 14:41:45

I would say that's skinny for your height!

Probably jealous grin

MostlyMama Fri 07-Mar-14 14:39:36

I think you are nitpicking for something to find offence at tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now