To not send dd to preschool?

(43 Posts)
BananaPie Thu 06-Mar-14 21:03:21

Dd is three, so I think could start preschool this sept.

She's in nursery three days a week while I work, and is in the preschool room there. Everyone keeps asking me which preschool she'll be going to, but I'm planning just to keep her in nursery and enjoy my two days with her on my non working days.

In NI if that makes any difference. Preschool seems to be more of a "thing" here than it does in England.

Am I setting her back for life?

TamerB Thu 06-Mar-14 22:10:10

It really doesn't matter- do what suits you.

spiderlight Thu 06-Mar-14 22:14:10

My DS never went to preschool. He did two mornings at nursery from 2.5, rising to three mornings from 3.5, and positively thundered into school at 4.5 without any problems whatsoever. He was perhaps slightly behind some of his peers in terms of pencil control and number formation in his first couple of months of Reception, but was in the 'more able and talented' group by the second term and has never looked back. I'm very glad I had those precious days with him before he started school, to tootle around and look at diggers and throw sticks into streams.

MaryWestmacott Thu 06-Mar-14 22:24:12

DS does his preschool at nursery - if they are doing the Early Years Curriculm then your DD is getting all she'd get at preschool there. The 15 hours free thing works out at 5 half day sessions, if she's at nursery 3 days a week then she's getting 6 half day sessions, so don't feel she's missing out. The answer to enquiries is "oh, she's doing preschool at [name of nursery]"

One word of causion, you might find that everyone else you know is doing 5 half days rather than any full days, this means that on the days you have DD on your own, there's not much going on for her age group. I really noticed that when we went to groups in the mornings of DS's non-nursery days, there were now no DCs my DS's age there and most classes (sports etc) for his age group are in the afternoons now, as most half day pre-schools are in the mornings.

Twilightsparklesmama Thu 06-Mar-14 22:37:28

My DDs preschool offers 2 sessions a day with the option of them staying for lunch. My DD does the 2 sessions two days a week and just the morning session one day a week. All the children who are there in the afternoon have been there since the morning so the afternoon session is tailored to that.

My DD was in nursery for 6 months before Pre school as I went back to work. I do think that the Pre school is a better foundation to prepare for school. It runs in sessions whereas the nursery had children starting /leaving at all different times, all the children are a similar age and it is connected to the infant school she will be going to.

This works great for me as I have her all day on my days off

Has made school holidays a PITA a year earlier though.

RiverTam Thu 06-Mar-14 22:39:59

there are no teenagers at DD's nursery - all fully, or partly and attending college, qualified in early years. No actual teachers though, which I'm glad about - time enough for teaching when she starts school!

Purplepoodle Thu 06-Mar-14 22:44:24

Only problem that could come up is that you might not get her into the primary if your choice as some give their p1 places to the children that attended their nursery. This happen to us and we only managed to get a place as 2 kids dropped out and dc was on the preschool waiting list so fitted the criteria more,

wigglesrock Thu 06-Mar-14 22:44:59

Do you mean you mean sending her somewhere now before she starts nursery school in September or do you mean not sending her to nursery school in Sept but keeping her in the private nursery she's in now?

I'm in NI too & have a 3 year old, I'm just not really sure what exactly you mean.

I know lots of kids who went from their daycare into P1, they were grand.

Purplepoodle Thu 06-Mar-14 22:47:44

Preschool here is a group run by someone with an early years degree.
Nursery has to be run by a qualified teacher. They are funded differently but teach the same age children and provide the same service. Daycare is also called nursery but the term day care is more accurate.

Purplepoodle Thu 06-Mar-14 22:50:09

Check out what your chosen schools entry criteria is. If your not in a city then it won't matter but it's murder getting 1st choice primary places in Belfast.

RiverTam Thu 06-Mar-14 22:54:07

in England attendance at the school's nursery/pre-school class has no bearing on whether or not you'll get into the primary school (or at least it's not meant to, though as they ask what nursery your child is at on the form, I guess it may well do!).

RiverTam Thu 06-Mar-14 22:54:47

oh, sorry, just saw OP is in NI, ignore me!

PicaK Thu 06-Mar-14 22:56:24

Funny - my understanding is that a preschool will stick to the EY curriculum, so mark making not writing etc. The nursery kids have been pushed more to write etc. Our preschools are completely separate to a school.

Ghostsdonttalk Thu 06-Mar-14 22:56:57

I would check If the primary you want has a nursery unit. We are in rural NI Dd went to preschool and then went in P1 as one of 26. The other 25 had been to nursery in the school together. She settled in fine but thats hard for a 4 yr old.

wigglesrock Thu 06-Mar-14 23:05:11

The forms for applying to nursery schools had to be to the first choice nursery school by the second week in January. Places have been like hens teeth over the past few years. I'm in Belfast so that might be very localised, but three years ago when my second daughter was applying children were being offered places twenty miles away.

Sharaluck Thu 06-Mar-14 23:20:59

Yanbu

That sounds like a nice balance smile

I think it would be confusing for a 3 year old to have to get used a nursery as well as a preschool with completely different routines/carers.

NoodleOodle Thu 06-Mar-14 23:45:00

Do what pleases you, you don't have to send her anywhere. If you enjoy spending more time with her and teaching her yourself, when she's a little older, have you considered not registering her at school and home educating ?

BananaPie Fri 07-Mar-14 09:52:12

Thanks. By nursery I mean day care, and I meant keeping her in day care until she goes to school. They're qualified in early years education, so I think it should be fine. Good point about the age range at mums and tots groups that I take her to if everyone else her age is in preschool next year.

Home education isn't on the cards at all - I can't see any advantages in that!

WaitMonkey Fri 07-Mar-14 09:58:24

My pre schooler doesn't go to nursery or pre school. Everyone judge's that. But we go to lot's of groups, meet up with friend's, do lots of activities outside the home and have lot's of fun in the house. People still think I'm stunting his development though. hmm You can't win in my opinion. Stick to what you and your lo enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now