occupational health check

(25 Posts)
caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 17:14:16

HELP!!!

I've been offered a great new job subject to occupational health assessment. aibu to be worries about this? I have a diagnosis of ocd but I've never had time off work, and it doesn't affect my working life.

x2boys Thu 06-Mar-14 17:17:08

I would think it would be discriminatory to not offer you the job on those grounds.

Bombaybunty Thu 06-Mar-14 17:17:22

I'm an Occupational Health advisor, unless the OCD impacts on your role, it shouldn't be a problem.
Don't be scared of us, we're very nice!

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 17:22:13

I hope so Bombay! I hadn't even told my current employer until recently, which wasn't as scary as I thought it would be! the job I've been offered is fantastic and I'm terrified that my mh probs will get in the way! its never had impact on my work and I'm confident it won't in the future. any ideas whether I will have to be interviewed to discuss this further, or will clean history of not being off work be enough? I know attitude to mental health has greatly moves on, but I'm so worried about the stigma of it!

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 17:23:12

That's what I thought x2boys, but there's still a niggle in my mind!

Bombaybunty Thu 06-Mar-14 17:31:37

So many people have mental health problems at some time in their lives and as you say attitudes have changed enormously!
Even if they think there is a problem, the employer should make reasonable adjustments to accommodate any issues you have.

x2boys Thu 06-Mar-14 17:37:51

absoloutley and if it does not affect your ability to work i really would nt think it was an issue

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 17:38:32

thanks Bombay, you've put my mind at ease a bit! do you see this kind of thing a lot?

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 06-Mar-14 17:41:27

tbh they probably won't go into major details about your health. all they are interested in is if you have anything that would stop you doing the job or anything you might need to be able to do it if there is something of concern eg: chair desk etc. good luck. It is routine in some jobs eg NHS to ask for one prior to employment here is some info that may help

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 17:47:26

I had a look at the NHS website last night Eccles, its an NHS job that I've been offered. i understand why they need to do these checks but I've heard before of people declaring problems and then being turned down for the job for an unexpected other reason. I hope everything goes OK...

x2boys Thu 06-Mar-14 17:49:43

I have worked for the nhs for many years I really think this would be discriminatory I really do

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 06-Mar-14 17:51:49

If that happened caramel, I would get legal advice as I think the onus would be on the employer to prove that they weren't being discriminatory and that the unexpected other reason was genuine.

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 17:57:53

I would have thought so x2, but I've never worked for them before so I wasn't sure how they would react. I hope it doesn't come to that crohnic... I'm hoping some nice open minded person like Bombay gets my health questionnaire once its complete! smile

x2boys Thu 06-Mar-14 18:03:30

well if it helps a I work for a very large mental health trust a colllegue of mine has a mood disorder he was an inpatient on one of our wards before coming to work on the same ward his consultant is also one of our consultants.it does not affect his ability to do his job in any way.

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 18:10:06

that sounds reassuring. I would hope that a healthcare provider would be extra sensitive to health issues, but I understand that an employer would want to hire someone who isn't going to go off sick. like I say, my condition has never caused me to take time off work, I am more worried about the stigma and the assumptions that go with ocd sad

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 06-Mar-14 18:10:48

Oh yeah, I hope it doesn't come to that as well, that comment was in response to you saying you've heard of people declaring problems and then being turned down.

I presume the NHS works in a similar way to local authority in that only the successful candidate is asked to complete a health declaration form, it happens after the interview and reference stages. So if they were satisfactory and you got through to the health part and then were turned down for an unexpected reason, you could sue the asses off them and I think it's unlikely the NHS would take that risk, maybe a small company might think they can get away with it.

iloveny001 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:26:41

I work for the NHS with severe ocd, have had time off because of it. Where I work agreed to make reasonable adjustments for me as they can't discriminate due to mental health act.

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 19:21:15

thanks NY... mine is only mild ocd now, so I wouldn't need any adjustments. I was more worried about the prejudice that goes with it, but I'm reassured that your employers have been helpful! smile

PolterGoose Thu 06-Mar-14 19:29:07

The OH doctor I saw through work was the best doctor I've ever seen, she was lovely. Good luck flowers

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 19:34:01

thanks polter.... I hope I have such a good experience as everyone so far! smile

I had an occupational health check for a new job last summer. I'm partly deaf, and the check just focussed on issues relating to my hearing, after going through a very basic check list. No examination involved.

It was recommended I go back to my doctor to get checked to see if I qualify for hearing aids. It turns out I probably will get some.

I had some of those awful behind the ear types as a kid, which were more hindrance than help, especially when combined with the frames of my glasses meaning I had constant sore spots where it all rubbed. I eventually gave up on the hearing aids and had resisted going back to the doctor as I was worried I'd just get the same type. So I'd been putting off going, but now It looks like I'll get the new type so no rubbing.

It's worth going, reassures your new employer, and you never know, may actually give some useful guidance or prompt to get something that will help.

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 19:45:04

thanks fry, I'm really glad that everyone has had such a positive experience, and glad to hear that you'll not be getting any sore patches behind your ears grin I'm incredibly pleased to have been conditionally offered the job, and I wouldn't like to think that my health would throw a spanner in the works! fingers crossed smile

caramelchaos Thu 06-Mar-14 20:24:40

I've passed interview and reference stages, so only pvg and health check to go. the health check is the only bit that's worried me!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Thu 06-Mar-14 20:33:01

I work in the NHS and had one when I started due to mh issues. It was fine, and mine do sometimes affect my work (although they didn't when I started). I'm still there 7 years later.

Occ Health looked at the questionnaire and then decided they wanted to interview me before giving the go ahead. They said I was fine with no reasonable adjustments needed. It meant that I had longer between interview to start date than others might have been, but that was the only issue.

If it doesn't affect your work then tell them so in the interview. Theyare really not out to get you. Just to make sure that you are supported appropriately should you need it.

caramelchaos Fri 07-Mar-14 21:18:20

that's what I'm hoping rafals... I don't think my issues affect my work, but I'm worried that someone else might!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now