Raging at sainsburys!

(102 Posts)
bitemabum Thu 06-Mar-14 12:01:43

Aaaargh! Just done my weekly shop at sainsburys as I do every week, I have a young child and a stacked trolley, get to the checkout, say hello to the young man behind serving which is met with silence and a blank expression. That's fine, I put my bags down and start to empty the trolley, my daughter now bored is giving out. At no point am I asked if I would like a hand packing my bags, he just sits there talking to the cashier behind him while I struggle to fit everything on. Finally he stops his conversation and starts whiz zing the stuff through so I can't keep up. Now all the stuffs spilling every where while I try to stuff it into bags. By now there's people waiting behind me and another member of staff standing waiting for me to pay so they can get into the till. I glance up and the new member of staff day's "yes, we're all waiting for you", so I decide screw you and start packing extra slowly which gets a sarcastic eye roll from the rude idiot who was originally "serving" me. I resist the urge to rip his smug little head off and leave sainsbury's for the final time. I won't be back! Aaah that feels better, rant over.

KittyAndTheFontanelles Thu 13-Mar-14 22:09:09

I agree.

sleepdodger Thu 13-Mar-14 22:07:29

Honestly they'd want to know, call and ask to speak to store manager

KittyAndTheFontanelles Thu 13-Mar-14 22:02:49

Possibly just outed myself there.

Also, She didn't know I had bronchitis.

KittyAndTheFontanelles Thu 13-Mar-14 22:01:57

I was in Sainsburys today, I've got bronchitis, had done the big shop, 10 week old strapped to me in a baby hawk, 2 year old in the trolley seat....

My baby wakes and starts crying for a feed just as I reach the checkout. The woman serving me asked if I wanted some help. I gratefully accepted and she scanned and packed a whole trolley load of shopping into my bags and helped to entertain my daughter while I sorted out the baby. She then came out from her till to arrange the bags in the trolley and called over a colleague to see me out to my car. He steered the trolley, packed my car and took the trolley away, I sorted the children.

I heart my Sainsburys- the staff are brilliant.

I told her supervisor on my way out how grateful I was for her help.

sicily1921 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:35:22

I think some of the checkout staff (not all!) at my Sainsburys, given the choice, would choose option A from the following two options:-

Would you rather?????????????

A) Die within the next five minutes
B) Give customer some help

enriquetheringbearinglizard Tue 11-Mar-14 19:24:40

I agree about the British reserve, but I also feel that we are the customer and as such deserve a bit of thought (not counting obnoxious customers who are rude to staff)

My store is 21 items per minute with disciplinary action taken if you dont hit the target
and that is one of the problems.
I'm sure they get complaints about the waiting time at checkouts but I bet they've never had a complaint about the time it takes to process the shopping.

When I go to local supermarkets there are checkouts I'll queue for as I recognize staff who're good and avoid an empty checkout with staff I've had bad service from...I bet management never processes that.

These days if I felt an operator had been particularly rude I would ask for the supervisor to be called and I would definitely follow up online with the details on the receipt.

vastknapsack Tue 11-Mar-14 19:17:58

You can give feedback about your experience here

Animation Tue 11-Mar-14 19:12:32

Have never come across anything like "yes we are all waiting for you" in any shop or supermarket EVER.

wadi1983 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:09:39

I would complain.
Bet his boss's won't be to happy about this

Animation Tue 11-Mar-14 19:07:24

"yes we're all waiting for you"

Really!!

Wow shock

Noodledoodledoo Tue 11-Mar-14 17:38:51

Definitely complain really not acceptable.

Regardless of if it's the end of the shift manners cost nothing. I used to work on checkouts when I was at school/uni during the holidays and to max my earnings I would work from 8 till 9pm ( before days of 24 hours opening) the last customer was treated exactly the same as my first of the day.

Every customer was treated well and it is quite easy to work out if customers want to chat or not. I had a scan rate of 19 per minute and we had to pack as well, I also packed correctly and now have my own issues packing! (It's all in the loading of the belt!)

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Tue 11-Mar-14 08:56:34

Oh really blahblahblah, being rude is totally uncalled for.

I would definitely complain. I think I would have told him this while eyeballing him and packing e x t r a s l o w l y.

SparklySocks Tue 11-Mar-14 08:38:16

No offence OP, but we Brits are too polite. You definitely should have told him to slow down rather than get annoyed I would have done exactly the same as you grin

blahblahblah2014 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:24:05

AND it was past his shift finishing time, so he'd been sitting in that chair scanning for hours - I wouldn't feel like small talk after that either!

blahblahblah2014 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:16:45

i really don't see what is to complain about....sounds like you were being annoyingly slow which is just...well...annoying!

BraveLilBear Mon 10-Mar-14 12:25:42

I used to work at Sainsburys and the speed of scanning was recorded and people with below average rates were given extra training to get them quicker.

That said, it was absolutely possible to scan at a good rate while respecting the customer.

I would have marched straight to customer services and complained about this guy. Disgraceful attitude.

Hop, I was asked to sign u for a next directory last week (already have one) so he asked DP. Apparently he needed one more signature to get home early/on time!

steff13 Mon 10-Mar-14 05:19:02

Oh no! I've made that mistake. Now I don't ask unless I know for sure the woman is pregnant. It's so hard to know sometimes. blush

EugenesAxe Mon 10-Mar-14 05:03:16

Can't fault the lovely lady at my local Morrison's, who batted not one eyelid at my major social faux pas the other day.

She had a swollen tummy and placed her hand on it in a very pregnant way - then when I asked when she was expecting she said 'Oh no - it's bloating; I've got gallstones.'

MichelloBarner Mon 10-Mar-14 05:00:55

That is disgusting. You should have marched straight to customer services, and if you didn't then write to them today. Appalling. It would never happen in Waitrose. grin

Actually, to be fair, it's rare to get that kind of shit in Sainsbury's.

steff13 Mon 10-Mar-14 04:45:04

I worked at a grocery store when I was in high school as a bagger, and a cashier when I was in college (once I turned 18). They would not have found the behavior you describe acceptable. I would complain for sure. You can be fast, efficient, and friendly. I was and lots of cashiers are.

Do you typically have to bag your own groceries? I have to at Aldi, because that's their thing, but at the store where I typically shop (Kroger), a bagger always bags your groceries. In fact, if you want to ensure that you have a bagger for your groceries, you start bagging them yourself. You'll have baggers coming at you from all sides. smile

BritabroadinAsia Mon 10-Mar-14 04:33:53

I used to work part time on the checkouts for Sainsburys, and agree that you should let them know. I remember a colleague being "retrained" after a complaint was made about her surly manner - they do take it seriously. Equally, the management was happy to pass on compliments from shoppers when they received good service, which was nice. It is important that employees working in customer facing roles realise the importance of being polite, and this young man could do with a reminder.

They will appreciate your feedback, and hopefully you will feel better for having done something about it.

KittyAndTheFontanelles Mon 10-Mar-14 02:55:29

Definitely complain, Sainsbury's management would be very unhappy with that 'customer service'.

I complained in Asda years ago and got £5 credit to spend in store grin

I shop at Sainsburys now and don't have any complaints.

Icimoi Mon 10-Mar-14 01:00:22

i don't really see why you need to boycott Sainsbury's for ever because of this one incident? Presumably you've been happy enough with them before? One thing is certain, they certainly wouldn't condone this sort of behaviour, and can't do anything about it if you don't draw it to their attention.

Fluffyears Mon 10-Mar-14 00:30:46

It is unacceptable and you must complain. I was in tesco's last Christmas the woman made no greeting or eye contact and had a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. She threw my stuff through and I handed over my club card vouchers she sighed the snapped 'clubcard!' I handed it to her and she slammed it back down when she finished. I was straight to customer service about her angry.

In morrisons I had to complain about one guy who whizzed my shopping through and overcharged me because he wouldn't slow down. One pack of steak £5.19 scanned fine next pack £4.29 wouldn't scan so he scanned first packet again knowing what he was doing. Erm no, I know it's pennies but I was raging and made him get a supervisor.-I got both packs free. I think those of us who have done the job understand it' can get to you but customer service always comes first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now