To ask DH to come home from work to look after DD's?

(15 Posts)
Woolfey Thu 06-Mar-14 10:34:50

Just broken a tooth and the only emergency appointment the dentist have is 2.10pm this afternoon, dentist said they will need to do work and it's for 20mins. I've got 2 DD's 2yr and 3yr. I've asked DH to come home from work to look after the kids while I go to the dentist. He is not happy.

The local creche is only open mornings so I can't leave them there, a neighbour I would ask has to go pick her 3 kids up from school at 2.30pm, there is an elderly neighbour I could ask but I'm not confident about leaving DD2 with her as she's a right handful. Have tried a local emergency childminder but can't get an answer.

AIBU to ask DH to come home? Should I just take them with me and strap 2yr old into buggy and give 3yr old a kindle and just leave 2yr old to scream if she starts kicking off? Worried I will be in pain having all sorts done to me and they will be traumatised by seeing it all, never mind the fact that I might not be in any fit state to look after them after dentist has done whatever he's going to do.

Blueuggboots Thu 06-Mar-14 10:36:04

YANBU. As long as you don't do it every week AND you've considered other options.

Blueuggboots Thu 06-Mar-14 10:36:50

(Which you clearly have!!!)
(And asking if YABU means you don't usually do it!!)

ClaraFox Thu 06-Mar-14 10:37:00

They won't be traumatised unless you're seeing a back stret dentist smile

Hard to say really. Depends on his job and the consequences of him leaving early. Also depends on how helpful he usually is.

I'd probably try and manage myself

DumDum32 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:38:21

No YANBU it's an emergency and you have done your best to avoid asking DH to come home!

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Thu 06-Mar-14 10:39:27

It's a family emergency, YANBU.

2rebecca Thu 06-Mar-14 10:40:53

Does it need doing instantly? Some breaks to teeth can wait a few days (I've waited a couple of weeks for some of mine). Alot of whether its reasonable or not depends on his job and how easily he can get time off. I'd be trying for tomorrow morning appointments and putting a small wad of chewing gum in the gap until then.

It depends as well if your DH can leave work.

My DH has meetings that are set up and people have to work them into their work days.
So unless it was an A&E type emergency then I would be unreasonable if I tried to get him home.
(My work as well is difficult to get out of at short notice)

Your dentist will have other SOS appointments, surely?

Noonetotalkto Thu 06-Mar-14 10:53:44

It's not the sort of thing I would have recalled my husband for tbh. I would do as you suggest, strap 2 yr old in buggy with a toy, and tell 3 yo to sit nicely, also with toy. Unless you know that either of them will definitely not sit?

If you turn up at the surgery with them in tow the receptionist might look after them for you? Or give them paper and pens to scribble with?

I suppose some people will tell me receptionists are not paid to childmind, but I know that I have had people volunteer that sort of service for my children before. If your husband works a long way away, or has meetings this afternoon, etc, it is simply not reasonable (imo) to call him away.

And you will be fine to look after the children after the appointment! As ClaraFox says, you are not seeing a back street dentist. You will get effective pain relief if you need it and can take paracetamol/ibuprofen afterwards if you need it.

Woolfey Thu 06-Mar-14 10:55:54

Thanks for all your replies.

DH works as an IT contractor in an office based environment, sorry should have said that in original post.

I've never had a broken tooth before so no idea if it needs treating instantly. Have spoken to the dentist again. They have no other emergency appointments. They have said I can pop in for 5mins at the end of the day to get it assessed then I will have to go back to get it fixed but they couldn't tell me when that would be. DH is for some reason much happier with that arrangement even though he may still have to take some time off to look after DD's when I go back to get it fixed.

Noonetotalkto Thu 06-Mar-14 11:03:06

I think the bottom line is, is the tooth hurting you? If it is, you really want to be seen today as toothache is such a miserable thing. I did break a tooth once, decades ago. As I recall, I wasn't in pain but there was a very sharp edge to my tooth, as in razor sharp, and I couldn't stop my tongue touching it. My appointment was about a day after I broke the tooth and by then my tongue was extremely sore! You don't want anything like that so going to the appointment today would be better, even with children in tow.

But if you are pain free and there is no painful edge to the tooth, perhaps you could get it assessed today and give your dh time to properly book time off work.

Good luck either way.

Oh and, as far as I can recall, and I am a wuss with pain, the repair was not painful. smile

Purplepoodle Thu 06-Mar-14 11:03:27

Iv just stuck mine in the double buggy. Given them lots of snacks and toys, my 3 year old loves watching peppa on the ipad. They have just sat in the room while dentist did his thing.

QwertyBird Thu 06-Mar-14 11:21:08

I think it would irk me a little, if it was his tooth would he take time off? If so, I can't imagine he would take the children with him either. Does he have a good reason? Is today particularly awkward for him? If you are in pain, he should be doing his best to help you.

2rebecca Thu 06-Mar-14 17:05:24

I wouldn't just leave work for a broken tooth, unless someone had hit me in the mouth and it was an A&E job. If it was just a broken bit of tooth (which happens quite alot I've a mouth full of fillings and bits regularly come off the remaining husks of teeth or fillings fall out) I'd phone and sort out a convenient time. Chewing gum is good and I've also used some of my daughter's dental putty stuff she got given when she had a brace.

Jolleigh Thu 06-Mar-14 17:17:01

I've broken a tooth quite a few times and have never needed to get it fixed the same day. Any pain I've had hasn't been so bad that a couple of pain pills didn't tide me over. The only time this method didn't serve me well was when I had a very sharp edge that made it very difficult to eat without hurting my tongue.

If I flip this round in my head and my OH wanted me to come home for a chipped tooth I think I'd be really annoyed.

UNLESS this is a particularly painful chip. I'd never put up with dental pain if pain pills weren't helping it. That kind of pain really is an emergency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now