To be really Fucked Off with Edwina Currie

(138 Posts)
TheTruffleHunter Thu 06-Mar-14 04:55:22

She's on BBC news 24 right now saying she doesn't agree with Food Banks - having just visited one and met the people collecting what will (hopefully) keep them going for the next week or two!

She thinks that won't encourage them to 'save for a rainy day'

I'm so cross I don't know what to do with myself!!

Quoteunquote Thu 06-Mar-14 22:10:31

I've met her a few times, she is not very bright, the conversations kept going over her head.

Misspixietrix Thu 06-Mar-14 21:35:03

Lteve I don't think it will matter to this crowd. Incidentally the people I know who are on benefits don'tddrink or smoke. Tell a lie. The one I did know managed to give up last year. Good for her I say.

Varya Thu 06-Mar-14 21:33:18

Loves herself and her unwanted opinions, to bits. Cannot stand the sight or sound of her. No idea of trying to make ends meet, dreading the fuel bill or running a fourteen year old car.

LtEveDallas Thu 06-Mar-14 19:47:51

Hungermonkey, roll-up cigarettes probably cost around £1.00 a day depending on how thinly they are rolled. Tobacco is a well known appetite suppressant. When they were on the bones of their arse my brother used to eat one day on, one day off so that his partner and child could eat. On his day off he used to smoke roll-ups and drink tap water so that he was not hungry.

Misspixietrix Thu 06-Mar-14 19:38:42

Definitely Sinister!. We had a lady turn up to ours who needed several parcels. It turned out to be a social worker getting them for several families. If I was just passing through I could have easily made judgements about her. Just goes to show we shouldnt eh?

SinisterBuggyMonth Thu 06-Mar-14 19:26:04

I missed the program but she's a twat.

There was similar twat on Jeremy Vine today saying people shouldn't be aloud to use food banks because HE has never been in that position where he was desperate enough to use one so no one else would be.

Lack of empathy bordering on psychopath IMO.

Misspixietrix Thu 06-Mar-14 19:25:17

Thankyou for donating though. If you (or any poster actually) can spare even an hour volunteering please do feel free to ask around and get more info. It's very very eye opening.

Misspixietrix Thu 06-Mar-14 19:01:56

jetsetli I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being factual. Not my fault if you took it that way.

Hungermonkey Thu 06-Mar-14 18:29:26

He sounds great fun and shows you can be a nasty old Tory and still have a heart of gold - ( I give to foodbanks too - feel very strongly I shoudl even though I say what I've said but ultimately - if you are lucky enough to hav eplenty you have a moral right to give - I guess that's old fashioned philanthropy?)

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 17:49:54

Hungermonkey yes am sure you are indeed as lovely as my friend grin .

He is a die hard Tory voter...I am a floating voter.
Wine makes for heated debates ....and a lot of laughter. He votes Tory but is also a working class man who knows that life can smack people right between the eyes sometimes, smokers or not. Hence he does what he can for our local food bank or other charities. Edwina Currie could learn a thing or two from him.

MistressDeeCee Thu 06-Mar-14 17:36:02

it is mostly your circumstances which dictate how you behave, not your character

Exactly HopeClearwater

Unless one's back is against the wall, how can they categorically say how they would act/cope? In a country where being poor is scorned and food banks are now the norm, complacency really isn't a wise course. Its like a backward sliding decline..rights that people fought for years ago are being eroded. Im beginning to feel if there was an initiative to uproot the poor from their homes and stick them into workhouses, it would be supported in many working class quarters in a "why should they live in a decent home? Theyre on benefits and they have a colour tv" kind of way. The government's success in creating divisions is shocking.

A couple of years ago I didnt know ANYONE who'd been to a foodbank. Didnt even realise there were so many here. Now, I know at least 3 people

sashh Thu 06-Mar-14 17:30:15

It's not unbearable poverty crackfox, don't be so melodramatic. It's relative poverty . If you want unbearable, go to India or Sub Saharan Africa.

Really? What's the difference? If you are hungry and cannot afford to buy food are you any better off in the UK?

Oh hang on a minute, the Indian government is attempting to feed everyone, providing school meals for many children.

And the numbers are dropping.

In Britain the numbers are on the increase

HopeClearwater Thu 06-Mar-14 17:24:09

MistressDeeCee great post.

What people don't seem to get is that it is mostly your circumstances which dictate how you behave, not your character. Make someone suddenly very poor for an indefinite period of time and it's very likely that they won't make the choices that the affluent middle class commentator like EC will think that they themselves would make. What's been said above about the grinding nature of poverty affects us all when we are poor.

I expect EC thinks she would be able to pull herself up by her bootstraps - yes, we'd all like to think that - but would we? And don't a lot of those rags to riches stories involve an element of luck - being in the right place at the right time? Edwina Currie is a nasty smug piece of work who should be thankful for what she has, and stop preaching to those less fortunate than herself.

expatinscotland Thu 06-Mar-14 17:06:30

She is a vile bitch.

jetsetlil Thu 06-Mar-14 16:59:44

Misspixietrix - I don't think that sarcastic post was necessary, I already said up thread how upsetting I found that documentary in fact this afternoon I went to Sainsburys and put some items in the foodbank collection. I just felt that that lady has made a silly choice to stay in that house for sentimental reasons rather than eat! I'm glad I participated in this thread as I now have a better understanding of how terrible times are for some people but I am stepping away from it now

Hungermonkey Thu 06-Mar-14 16:56:34

bochead can I like your post? Very very thoughtful.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Thu 06-Mar-14 16:30:39

bochead, that's a really interesting point.

Could the Victorian philanthropy difference be because the factory owners etc had more contact with their workforce, and more insight into their lives, than the modern 1%?

usualsuspect33 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:09:10

Shes a Tory, what do you expect.

She talks typical right wing bollocks to demonise the poor.

SelectAUserName Thu 06-Mar-14 16:01:06

Tanith - I did, she did (and they should ask their grandchildren to buy them woolly hats for Christmas IIRC hmm ) and that's one of the reasons why I despise the woman.

Tanith Thu 06-Mar-14 15:57:38

Be thankful most of you never had to endure her in Government. I think it was one of her ideas that the elderly should knit themselves scarves to keep warm when many were freezing to death.

doodlyfiddly Thu 06-Mar-14 15:27:56

ppeatfruit - I didn't go to one myself (far better things to do!), but friends went and there was one Major issue that was off the agenda!!! It was the elephant in the room every time she was around.

bochead Thu 06-Mar-14 15:16:15

In order to be considered part of the social elite in the US, individuals make a big hoo ha about their personal philanthropy. It earns them social status, and a certain cachet that is unobtainable in any other way. Ways of doing this vary from gifting University scholarships, to providing land for community gardens. It's so important to be SEEN to give back something to the community in some way if you are successful.

Over here our social elite seem to take pride in their ability to be the ultimate "gimme dat" character at any social gathering, proudly proclaiming that they have only turned up at social events for the free eats.

I'd like to know why this is. It's not about class, as a walk around any town or city in the land will mean you pass some building once gifted by a wealthy, privileged Victorian to his/her community for use as a school, hospital or some other project directly intended to benefit those without the privileges and wealth of the benefactor.

What exactly is it about the mentality of our elite that means they have to resort to sneering to bolster their own status? Vince Cable did it yesterday too, with his comments about teachers being unable to understand the world of work - it's not just a Tory thing. The last Labour governments attitude to parents who send their kids to state schools stank with the advent of an overbearing nanny state.

Have none of these people ever heard what happened to Marie Antoinette, or seen the countless examples of civil unrest across the globe in recent years?

ppeatfruit Thu 06-Mar-14 15:06:47

I bet those 'talks' were sooo interesting doodlyfiddly grin were they about how to eff the Prime Minister ?? Some people should keep their mouths shut forever.I'm talking to you EC.

MistressDeeCee Thu 06-Mar-14 14:58:06

JSA is a drop in the ocean compared to Tax Credits, the bill for which has increased hugely due to employers freely allowed to pay crap wages. Housing Benefit is another culprit. Private landlords are allowed to charge what they like, lots of workers have to claim HB to help with rent payments as their wages simply aren't enough to meet the bills.

I've heard some speak as if they consider themselves 'better' than other benefits claimants, particularly after the back-to-back benefits claimant programmes shown recently. Thinking of JSA in particular; if this government suddenly shelved WFTC - & lets face it, with this government anything's a possibility, isn't it? - after all if you're claiming WFTC then you're a benefit claimant, the system is propping up your wage - would they seamlessly move to surviving solely on a meagre wage, no further top-ups in sight? Cheerfully cutting corners and becoming the master of budgeting on a shoestring, effortlessly and immediately?

Of course they wouldnt. Their standard of living would be seriously and deeply affected. It would be a crisis.

You see - this government does not love some sections of the working class, and hate others. Its much of a muchness to them, all the working classes are being shafted in the same way. There's a tyre company a few minutes away from me, (I live in London) looking for a full-time admin officer. The wage is £15,000. They want someone experienced, familiar with customer facing roles and problem solving, competent on Word, Excel and 'office systems'. Yet they're paying school leaver money.

There is something inherently corrupt and flawed about a society that offers JSA claimants up as scapegoats, to blind the public to the fact that the biggest dent in the system is made by workers who can't manage on what they earn and so, are claiming 'top-up' benefits. As ever big business and government win again, whilst in the model of chaos Cameron has created (as all most corrupt leaders do) a good number of people get on with missing the reality of the situation completely.

Most aren't as far away from poverty as they'd like to think.

doodlyfiddly Thu 06-Mar-14 13:58:59

Cheeky cow! She's not above handouts herself though - when I met her in RL she was on a freebie 3 week Caribbean cruise (my honeymoon) where she just had to give a couple of talks to earn her keep. Didn't use her rainy day savings for that, did she? Her husband was with her too (also on the cadge).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now