To be really Fucked Off with Edwina Currie

(138 Posts)
TheTruffleHunter Thu 06-Mar-14 04:55:22

She's on BBC news 24 right now saying she doesn't agree with Food Banks - having just visited one and met the people collecting what will (hopefully) keep them going for the next week or two!

She thinks that won't encourage them to 'save for a rainy day'

I'm so cross I don't know what to do with myself!!

GarthsUncle Thu 06-Mar-14 08:37:48

She is a massive nincompoop.

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 06-Mar-14 08:42:12

I don't agree with foodbanks. I think its a bloody disgrace that people in this country are forced to depend on charity due to the government wanting to punish them. And that the government, through its BS idea thinks that the community struggling to provide this is a good thing.

Edwina Currie is a political hack who needs to try to stay relevant by being in the news so she comes out with this nonsense.

hackmum Thu 06-Mar-14 08:57:21

She is a vile individual. I never watch things like that because they just enrage me.

Hungermonkey Thu 06-Mar-14 08:59:59

I think it's sometimes very easy to say that everyone using food banks is doing so because they are not getting enough money which will be true in some cases. It will also be true in some cases that they are getitnhg enough but are spending it on other things and the fact that foodbanks exist means they can.

Hungermonkey Thu 06-Mar-14 09:02:09

And I get enraged by people who have a perfectly good job but then choose to have a baby so give up that job and rely on the state to support them and then grizzle about how unfair it all is becasue they don't have enough money anymore.

Always interesting to see what gives others the rage, isn't it?

TheCrackFox Thu 06-Mar-14 09:03:17

I don't agree with Food banks either - we are the 6th richest country in the World yet we have people living in unbearable poverty. It is disgusting that Britain has sunk so low.

Edwina is a tit.

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:06:23

Edwina Currie is a media whore, always has been and always will be. Look at Katie Hopkins, and then ask yourself where she got the idea to be a rent a gob. I am pretty sure Edwina Currie is up there somewhere.

I cannot stand either of them.

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:09:51

Hungermonkey, you have to be REFERRED to a Food bank. You cannot just pitch up and demand food!
And you can only be referred up to three times.

So while there are many reasons people need foodbanks, the idea that they just use them for convenience is woefully ignorant. Perhaps do some research before posting your shite opinion eh? hmm

Hungermonkey Thu 06-Mar-14 09:09:52

It's not unbearable poverty crackfox, don't be so melodramatic. It's relative poverty . If you want unbearable, go to India or Sub Saharan Africa.

UK poverty still means a roof and clothes and food. And quite often fags and booze but MN seems to be completely blind to the fact that most of the poor smoke and will deny it or excuse it. I once saw a poster argue that poor people smoked because it was cheaper than eating confused.

I completely agree with food banks, however, like thecrackfox I think it is completely unacceptable that, in 2014, they are required.

Frankly, Edwina should wind her fucking neck in. I bet she's never had to decide whether to eat or keep warm. I hate entitled arsewipes who have never bothered to look at the world that is beyond the end of their noses. It's amazing that a good education can still turn out individuals who are as thick as a dollop of lentil soup.

Uk poverty does not mean a roof and clothes and food though, hunger. We have an increasing number of homeless people with none of these "luxuries"

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:14:33

Hungerfox perhaps look up the definition of "addiction" wrt smoking while you are researching food bank use!

Or do you prefer to remain a narrow minded bigot?

oldgrandmama Thu 06-Mar-14 09:17:35

I was in a Soho restaurant once and Currie and friends were at the next table. Talk about LOUD!

Anyway, I think it's tragic that we need food banks - it just shouldn't be necessary. It seems - sorry - that the policy these days is 'kick the poor and when they're down, kick them some more ...' Currie is an awful woman, as is that Hopkins cow (sorry, cows are actually quite nice animals).

I've lived a long time and seen a lot. It's always been the case that we moan about the way things are, but honestly, I can't remember a time when things were quite as awful and depressing as they are now for people who are struggling to exist. A friend of mine has multiple sclerosis - yet she's being bullied to go to work when it's patently obvious she's far too disabled to be able to do so. Doesn't stop her being threatened and harangued about losing the benefits that enable her to survive. Horrible.

ConferencePear Thu 06-Mar-14 09:17:39

Hungermonkey may be right that some people don't deserve the help that food banks give. Even so they won't be taking as much out of the economy as the bankers who are still getting millions in bonuses in addition to their high salaries.

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:18:49

I see families where a child has no coat because income is low and the chastity shop did not have one to fit. The child usually gets a coat as soon as parents can afford the £10 it costs in Asda.

I see families where the parents don't eat much in order to feed their children because Dad or Mum has lost their job and what money IS coming in has to pay the mortgage (yes poverty affects naice people too)

I see families where a parent has severe mental health issues meaning they cannot work. They might have adequate housing or they might not.

I could go on

UriGeller Thu 06-Mar-14 09:18:53

Jesus Christ, our family are doing alright (finally) and we haven't any spare cash for a rainy day.

It really is the worst trait, to have no empathy for people less fortunate.

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:19:47

"Chastity" ...

I meant "charity"

kilmuir Thu 06-Mar-14 09:20:23

Think she has a point.
People do not make putting food on table a priority. Drowning in debt from greediness

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:21:22

How bright can she be...she shagged the prime minister FFS!

Hmm...got a Major craving for Jack Monroe's Curried Eggs!

diaimchlo Thu 06-Mar-14 09:23:18

Hungermonkey The majority of people that use the food banks have had sanctions enforced on them by the JCP for such things as being 2 mins late for an appointment, not being able to attend an appointment because they have not received the letter before the appt or the letter sent was in wrong format i.e: braille and trying to reschedule an appt due to it clashing with a hospital appt, the list is endless. Their money is stopped straight away even before they have been made aware that they have been sanctioned, so in their case they cannot be spending anything on other things rather than food.

Also some of the other things they may be spending money on are: bedroom tax, electricity, transport costs to attend interviews, appts and the dreaded workfare. Internet and phone charges for job hunting, quite often you are left on hold for 30mins to 1 hour if you phone the DWP, that costs even on a landline.

Another point is that there are people who do work and receive WTC that have to resort to using a food bank.

People cannot use a food bank for their weekly shop, they have to be referred and can only be referred 3 times, the bags they get only containing enough to cover 3 days normally.

There should not be food banks here at all, but the sad fact is they are and their use has risen massively since 2010.... I wonder why!!!!!!!

angry Why is this horrendous person given air time? Boils my piss!!!!

Holdthepage Thu 06-Mar-14 09:26:31

Edwina Currie is a political media rentagob, the political version of Katie Hopkins, not to be taken seriously at any time.

However I disagree about the salmonella incident. Her big gob resulted in us having the safest eggs in the world.

Hungermonkey Thu 06-Mar-14 09:27:47

jakebullet it is easier now than ever to stop smoking . Far easier than when I did twenty years ago with support programmes, patches and e cigs.

I do hope you aren't really arguing that it's perfectly okay to spend £7 plus a day on fags and then using food banks and making your children go without a coat? But actually, I think you may be.shock

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:29:09

I think plenty (the majority) do make food a priority kilmuir.

I know families with smoking addicts but they make sure the children are fed. When it comes down to it they go without the cigarettes!

Food banks in my experience seem to be used by families and individuals in crisis. Benefit delays, benefit sanctions for spurious reasons, sudden emergencies etc.

Have never seen a family come in to use ours based upon them spending too much on non essentials that week.

Huge number of learning disabled using them too....apparently "fit for work"! They need good advocacy when dealing with ATOS.

In short people in crisis.....and there is a limit of three referrals because whatever the crisis is should be sorted out.

JakeBullet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:31:39

No I wasn't arguing that Hungermonkey but do go on won't you, you are so enlightening in how the Tories see those who are genuinely struggling.

If there is no money to buy a coat there is no money to buy cigarettes either...or can you not work that out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now