to be looking forward to a new supermarket opening

(64 Posts)
ApocalypticBlackHorseman Wed 05-Mar-14 17:00:59

We have a new supermarket opening this weekend, AIBU to look have been looking forward to it for about two weeks now?

TheTerribleBaroness Wed 05-Mar-14 17:02:17

Def not being U! There will be loads of special offers and balloons for the children. smile

BrokenToeOuch Wed 05-Mar-14 17:02:48

Depends on which supermarket!
<food snob> grin

obviouslyneedsupernanny Wed 05-Mar-14 17:03:37

This is the sort of thing that excites me too

Pippintea Wed 05-Mar-14 17:03:52

Another Tesco? YABU
Aldi? YANBU

GobbysMum Wed 05-Mar-14 17:04:15

No are not BU. I took the day off work when the one in my town opened. It was our first proper supermarket. It was packed, no offers or ballons though.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 05-Mar-14 17:04:22

We've had a new tescos open and as much as I hate tescos for taking over the world, it's so much better than the old sainsburys. Sad really.

UnicornCrisps Wed 05-Mar-14 17:04:27

Of course YANBU! Is it massive? Will you do a day trip?

ApocalypticBlackHorseman Wed 05-Mar-14 17:08:56

Oh no, it's a small one, and not even exclusive - but not tescos smile

TheTerribleBaroness Wed 05-Mar-14 17:19:19

They're building a Lidl where I live. We already have an Aldi, a Coop, and three other supermarkets. (Think Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose equivalents, but abroad). The population is about 17,000 including outlying villages. I keep wondering which will close first.

BumpyGrindy Wed 05-Mar-14 17:20:35

YANBU! We have a Waitrose opening down the road AND we're moving next month and will be in walking distance of that AND a new Aldi! I'm in heaven! Caught between the upper and lower reaches! grin

BumpyGrindy Wed 05-Mar-14 17:21:32

What I am gunning for next is an Ikea. We are in a PRIME position I tell ye! Apparently the Waitrose site was ALMOST an Ikea. What that tells me is that they're shopping around for a site!

BrokenToeOuch Wed 05-Mar-14 17:24:00

gobbys I laughed so hard at you taking the day off to go to the new supermarket!
But which supermarket is it OP? I can't properly decide if YABU if I don't have the full facts.

ApocalypticBlackHorseman Wed 05-Mar-14 17:28:04

Sainburys

Finola1step Wed 05-Mar-14 17:29:41

In my town there was a big campaign after a major supermarket beginning with M closed its store. They kept the lease and wouldn't let anyone else open up on the site. Local campaign got them to open up again. It was v big news and I was inexplicably quite excited when the new store opened. It was the talk of the town. grin

Finola1step Wed 05-Mar-14 17:30:07

Oh so YANBU

whitepuddingsupper Wed 05-Mar-14 17:39:10

When the aldi in my town opened people were queueing down the road for hours before opening to get the special offers. I went for a nosy in the afternoon when it was quieter but I was quite excited by the shiny newness so YANBU.

Fairylea Wed 05-Mar-14 17:40:54

We have an aldi opening in a few months time. I am ridiculously excited. Dh teases me about it smile

WooWooOwl Wed 05-Mar-14 17:49:02

YANBU. I am the same every time a new supermarket opens near us. There have been three new ones since I've lived in this area, about 10 years.

I don't get all the angst around new supermarkets, even when they are Tescos.

WilsonFrickett Wed 05-Mar-14 17:50:32

I'd organise a ticker tape parade and take a week off if a Waitrose opened near me! <wistful>

thanksamillion Wed 05-Mar-14 17:50:56

I'm going away for the weekend to a neighbouring country on Saturday. The thing I am most excited about is that there is a Lidl there blush

YANBU. Waitrose opened near us on my 8th birthday. I am still fond of Waitrose.

Jinty64 Wed 05-Mar-14 17:53:26

We have a new Aldi opening next week. It is within walking distance and close to other facilities I use most days. I am ridiculously excited. I even have a voucher!

PerpendicularVince Wed 05-Mar-14 18:16:28

I presume this supermarket will sell Cadbury's egg and spoons, in which case YANBU.

You can never have too many Cadbury's egg and spoons <nods vigorously>.

flossy101 Wed 05-Mar-14 18:19:58

YANBU. M&S food came to is last year, I was beside myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now