to think that Orlando is the new Benidorm?

(121 Posts)
newfavouritething Tue 04-Mar-14 15:30:24

I've been trawling around the internet researching an upcoming trip to Florida and have come to the conclusion that it is. There's an awful lot of families travelling with their parents/grandparents scared to leave the confines of the Disney bubble. There's much talk of what to take with you - teabags, Weetabix, chocolate, peanut butter (yes really, apparently the US version is 'oily') and wanting to keep up with 'the soaps' while they are there. AIBU to think that they really shouldn't bother visiting a new country unless they're going to experience new things?

Crowler Tue 04-Mar-14 15:33:16

smile Save for Miami, Florida does veer towards Benidorm in general.

What's the matter with Benidorm anyway? Parts of it are beautiful......

Florida is FAR worse than Benidorm. It is a very strange place.

Suefla62 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:40:37

North Florida isn't at all like Benidorm. If you want everything "like it is in England" stay in England. I've lived here for many years am I'm sick of hearing "but in England" ya da ya da. Just go home!

Crowler Tue 04-Mar-14 15:43:15

Have the British invaded N. Florida Sue? I have seen quite a few of them on that show... what is it...?

Crowler Tue 04-Mar-14 15:43:28

A Place in the Sun.

Cobain Tue 04-Mar-14 15:44:35

Tbh if I wanted to experience culture Florida would not be my choice of US destination. Florida was for themes parks.

Is Florida not a state? I am sure there is so much more to Florida than theme parks, they are probably just a very small portion.

Crowler Tue 04-Mar-14 15:46:21

There should be little expectation of culture when one sets foot in Florida, and no expectation of culture in Orlando.

Amrapaali Tue 04-Mar-14 15:51:56

Orlando is a sunnier version of Chessington.

Bigger and better, of course, but theme parks is its raison d'etre.

Suefla62 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:53:09

St. Augustine is the oldest continually occupied city in the United States. It was 50 years old before Jamestown was founded! Don't judge our whole state (which is bigger in area than England) than the 50 square miles around Orlando.

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 04-Mar-14 15:53:51

I have never been to Benidorm, but understand the comparison. I have lived in Florida for many years, in different areas, currently in the northeastern part of the state. There is much more than theme parks to Florida. We have a rich cultural and literary history; we have a diverse population, living in many different settings. Much of Florida is rural, for example. There are interesting small towns dotted all over the state, many with their own cultural or agricultural festivals each year. I am happy that we are able to welcome so many foreign visitors each year, but I do wish that they could see more of what we are really about here.

We Americans are often accused of being provinical and insular. It seems that some who come to our state from other countires could be accused of the same.

MrsPatrickDempsey Tue 04-Mar-14 15:59:57

I agree with Scone. Orlando itself may be synonomous with theme parks but I think they are far superior to any I have been to in the UK.

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 04-Mar-14 16:13:13

It's funny too, that for many of us who live here, the theme parks hardly register at all. I visit friends and family in Orlando or go there for business at least three times a year, but I have not been to Disney since 1996 (that will change, though, now that my grandchildren are approaching an age to enjoy it.)

EugeneKrabs Tue 04-Mar-14 16:18:35

I agree. Chavvy as fuck

<gets flamed. Doesn't care>

squoosh Tue 04-Mar-14 16:23:38

I think it may be the new Benidorm OP.

There was a programme on last year about an English family who had moved to Florida seeking their fortune, it was so depressing. They'd lost all their money on a business venture and could barely afford American medical costs.

Oriunda Tue 04-Mar-14 16:42:22

Florida Keys are amazing. Can't wait to return with DS. He's 2 and so far has had no Disney exposure.

FoxesRevenge Tue 04-Mar-14 16:49:10

Florida has sink holes. Benidorm is a sink hole.

<hides>

BabstheChicken Tue 04-Mar-14 17:24:20

FoxesRevenge grin

mrsjay Tue 04-Mar-14 17:28:51

people go to orlando for the theme parks nothing more or golf I think yabu and snooty if folk want to take their tea bags they can people go to a nice campsite in france to soak in the culture while sipping t heir tetley and having bacon butties and HP sauce that they take with them,

I love orlando I never take anything with me but it is a great place to holiday it is like blackpool on speed

Crowler Tue 04-Mar-14 17:37:27

It's absolutely a great place for a holiday. I was just there in December and Disney is the final authority on theme parks.

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 04-Mar-14 18:01:49

Well, it is hard to get British back bacon in Florida. I would not blame anyone for bringing that, as long as you brought me some. If only Scottish morning rolls traveled well. smile

balenciaga Tue 04-Mar-14 18:09:07

I wouldn't fancy going tbh

If I was thinking of going to the US, there are far nicer places for a holiday there, California and New York are fantastic imo

mrsjay Tue 04-Mar-14 18:10:22

oh they would be a bit iffy scone grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now